The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #15,196 of 24,807

Quote:
The difference between amps is a hot topic but for me it is pretty big, certainly large enough to be picked up easily is a double blind test.  This does depend on the music you listen to though.  Ever wonder why small chamber music is so often used to show audio gear?  Because it doesn't test the system at all.  Same thing applies here, put on some large scale classical music or metal and you can instantly hear the difference a CCS for the output stage makes. 

Good points, but the small chamber music can also be used to compare and contrast. If this is music that you will likely spend a lot of time listening to then things like texture, detail, instrument separation and spacial representation are important and can be judged easily with a well known piece of chamber music.

Mar 18, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #15,197 of 24,807
Properly designed amps don't clip, the transducers go into self destruct mode before that should ever happen...
wink_face.gif

The real issue here is moving from the general HF consensus which classifies an amp being able to drive some headphone simply because it gets loud enough for deaf people to use.  This is just wrong as loudness is just a factor of gain and input voltage assuming the bloody thing doesn't clip like mad.  It rather should be the ability to maintain full voltage swing regardless of the load present which is rather tricky when dealing with drivers which swing from 66K to 66M

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #15,198 of 24,807
Properly designed amps don't clip, the transducers go into self destruct mode before that should ever happen...
wink_face.gif

To be fair SRM-252a and 300 did clip before my ears :p or the 202/404 dying.

>The real issue here is moving from the general HF consensus which classifies an amp being able to drive some headphone simply because it gets loud enough for deaf people to use. 

:D .

Mar 19, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #15,199 of 24,807
Does anyone know the history behind the SR-007 revisions?

I believe the first SR-007 began with serial no. 7XXXX. Subsequently, it became SZ1-XXXX.

SR-007A continued with SZ2-XXXX and is currently on SZ3-XXXX.

There are also minor changes in packaging such as the foam moldings in the flight cases.

Mar 19, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #15,202 of 24,807
Can the SRM-323S make the 02 MKII's, or the 507's, sound better than the SRM-007t II (which is pretty good, already)??? 

It has a max output of 50 v more than the 007t II, can that make enough of a difference to significantly improve the sound of either set of phones over the 007t II?

Just thought... as someone else suggested... that the 323S might help me endure the long wait for a 717, 727, or KGSS.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #15,205 of 24,807

Quote:
Can the SRM-323S make the 02 MKII's, or the 507's, sound better than the SRM-007t II (which is pretty good, already)??? 

It has a max output of 50 v more than the 007t II, can that make enough of a difference to significantly improve the sound of either set of phones over the 007t II?

Just thought... as someone else suggested... that the 323S might help me endure the long wait for a 717, 727, or KGSS.

I might as well answer this here and define "better" would be the real answer.  The 323 is a really nice amp but it is still limited in some ways and the modded 727 would be a better comparison piece here.  The comparison is really between classic resistor based current sources and transistor based current sources and how the affect the sound of the amp.  I would take the 727 any day but some people do prefer the softer sound you get with the lack of control from the amp. 

Mar 20, 2011 at 11:49 AM Post #15,206 of 24,807
So... the 727 needs the addition / replacement of 4 resistors - is that the mod? 

And... does it also need an increase, or change, in the gain? 

Are there pics of these mods here, or on Headphonia, or somewhere?

Just wondered how difficult they would be for a "layman."

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #15,208 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
I would definately not buy either one of those orthodynamics without trying them first. In my experience the LCD-2 is not even in the same league as the SR-507 (or the SR-404 Signature I listened to)

bass-heads with otherdynamics are going to beat you up with really heavy headphones for that
biggrin.gif

Yes I will smite him... with my HE-6 though :wink:. Never my LCD-2 even if they are heavier.

When I finally decide which two headphones to sell I will probably try a 507 out... Been ***** footing but really it is too much to ask for a headphone to be both an LCD-2 and a Stax at the same time like I had been desperately hoping so I might as well have both
biggrin.gif

The only real deterrent is the fact it would seem heavier losses would be sustained from selling stax and/or harder to sell than your typical dynamic phone if I really didn't like them.

As Mr.Green was posting about it really would be neat to see some serious RnD in orthodynamic phones (not that I find the LCD-2 really lacking/offending in any manner other than weight and perhaps "air") because they really do seem to be the happy medium between dynamics and stats for many.

That being said ortho bass zealots such as myself seem to have more eclectic tastes than most around here. Treble heavy heavy/basslight headphones are fine for many genres (most?) of music that are non-electronic. That and I personally believe most of us really are not used to hearing the low hz info in music if they haven't spent lots of time with real instruments, or people who focus more on melody than rhythm. I don't listen to only electronic by any means but I don't like to have a headphone suck at any specific genre which it would seem previous non O2 Stax did. If it weren't for that and the prohibitive costs of the O2 I probably would have gone Stax a long time ago.

If anyone wants to loan me their 507 feel free
smile.gif

I know you personally mentioned EQ and I have been doing subtractive EQ with my HD 800 with great success (EQ out the peaks). Does positive EQ in the bass for Stax ever have horrid levels of distortion?

Mar 20, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #15,210 of 24,807

Quote:
So... the 727 needs the addition / replacement of 4 resistors - is that the mod? 

And... does it also need an increase, or change, in the gain? 

Are there pics of these mods here, or on Headphonia, or somewhere?

Just wondered how difficult they would be for a "layman."

Remove 4 resistors and add 4 others of equal value.  You can change the gain but I don't recommend it since it causes some very mild noise issues.  Those could be tracked down and fixed (mostly tied to layout issues with the boards) but I simply wouldn't bother. 

You can find the mods on the site which cannot be mentioned... 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back