The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #14,657 of 24,807
The specifications of the 323S are on the website: http://www.stax.co.jp/Export/SRM323S-e.html

wow...same gain as SRM-1/mk2, but higher max output voltage: 400V (vs 370v)
Impressive.

not only for musical reproduction but also for monitoring purpose of professional use.

Probably the same kind of sound as SRM-1 as well :D?

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #14,661 of 24,807

Quote:
Is the SRM 007 Tii a good amp for the Omega 2?

The problem with any of the tube amps currently made by Stax is that there just isn't enough voltage swing to really get the Omega 2s humming. Of all the Stax amps produced (short of the legendary T2), most will likely agree that the SRM-717 is the best partner for the Omega 2. For the amount that the 007-TII sells for, you're probably better off with a KGSS.

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #14,662 of 24,807
We've been moved to main forum it appears... Stax for the masses eh?
tongue.gif

Speaking about SRM-717 prefomance, I'm finding the O2mk2's sound fall short of my exptectaions. to put it blandly, lower-deep bass is just almost non-exsitent to my ears, i'm just dumbfound when i hear my refernce track "Marakesh" by Peace Orchestra, there's a section with some massive deep bass beat but it's barely audible and lacks any notable impact. Mid-bass is quite present but is not very tight and defined as i would like. My W5000, and previously HD800 even morse,  have much better low end presence, the control and impact of the mk2 bass are simply subpar as i hear it currently. OTOH the clarity and imaging are amazing and make the O2's project likley the most convincing soundscape i've yet to "see" with headphones.

The amp is hooked single-ended atm, I can purchase a proprietry adapter to convert my DAC (CIaudio VDA-2) to balanced, Will doing so bring noticeable improvement to the low-end department?  

Dec 18, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #14,663 of 24,807
I should add that another option is to use a transformer like the WEE instead of a traditional amp. This is by far the most affordable way to drive the O2 if you already have an excellent preamp and speaker amp, and supposedly is at least on par with the KGSS. I'm planning to find out myself if that's true.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #14,664 of 24,807
Just noticed that this thread was moved from the High-end Audio Forum to the Headphones (full-size) Forum.  What's the rational for the move?  I'm sure my SR-007s haven't gone mid-fi overnight.
blink.gif

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #14,665 of 24,807
No wonder I couldn't find the thread.  The bad thing about the move is that now we have to wade through all the bad threads in this subforum; the good thing about the move is maybe Stax will get more exposure.  Actually, not sure we want that. :p

The WEE must have some magical transformers to "at least" compete with the KGSS.  I've never heard a transformer based Stax rig that sounded as good as one with a dedicated Stax amp.  I'd take the lowly SRM-1 MKII over them.

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #14,666 of 24,807

Quote:
The WEE must have some magical transformers to "at least" compete with the KGSS.  I've never heard a transformer based Stax rig that sounded as good as one with a dedicated Stax amp.  I'd take the lowly SRM-1 MKII over them.

What transformers have you heard, driven by what amps? The WEE seems to be a huge improvement over any of the Stax made transformers, if not necessarily up there with the best custom stuff. With solid amplification, several people have reported excellent results with the WEE, even driving the Jade or O2. Obviously I wouldn't expect to get very far with a $50 T-amp, but a WEE driven by a Bryston, C-J, Ayre, etc. should knock an SRM-323 into next week.

Dec 20, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #14,669 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:
No wonder I couldn't find the thread.  The bad thing about the move is that now we have to wade through all the bad threads in this subforum

Yes, can someone please move it back. It's quite annoying having to sift through thirty "what should I buy" threads 
smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed!  I have complained directly to Jude about this and suggest you do the same.  If Stax isn't high-end then no headphones are.

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #14,670 of 24,807

Quote:
Quote:

What transformers have you heard, driven by what amps? The WEE seems to be a huge improvement over any of the Stax made transformers, if not necessarily up there with the best custom stuff. With solid amplification, several people have reported excellent results with the WEE, even driving the Jade or O2. Obviously I wouldn't expect to get very far with a $50 T-amp, but a WEE driven by a Bryston, C-J, Ayre, etc. should knock an SRM-323 into next week.

The Stax transformers, namely SRD6/SRD7/SRDP.  Amps I've heard were a cheap Chinese speaker amp, a Bedini 25/25, an AudioNote amp (can't remember the model), and the Bottlehead Crack.  There is a lack of detail and exagerrated dynamics (almost a boominess) that is portrayed regardless of the power amp driving the transformer...might as well go for dynamic HPs in that case. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back