The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #14,611 of 24,807

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not looking for visceral impact at all. In fact, the rather poor impact (IMO) of the Omega is preferable, however I do not like the darkness. I also found the Lambda Sigs bass very good and impactful.

For some perspective, I'm coming here with a long-time love for Etymotic canalphones - which have virtually zero impact. For some other perspective - I hate the tonal presentation of say, HD650 and LCD-2. I don't mind the O2s, but would prefer more treble (like the sig).

Just curious if theres anything else I should be looking at (like a 202).

@jjinh, indeed. I am still looking for a pair of sigs (SR202 as well).

The Omegas have relatively less bass impact compared to the Lambda Sigs? That 's an odd impression to me... from my experience the SR-007s have substantial and more than sufficient weight to its bass, especially compared to the lambdas.

Were you wearing the SR-007s properly? (Serious question. The SR-007s are not bass light headphones).

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #14,612 of 24,807

Quote:
More or less. Personally, I have no problem with bright headphones. I actually prefer them (I preferred the lambda sig to the O2 in my brief encounter despite some lower refinement because of the frequency response).  
For the record, I'm also interested in seeing what sigma pros are like for these genres, but have no way to actually experience them. Are there any users around?

Mr Green, if you like bright phones, you aren't gonna like the Sigma series. The very antithesis of bright, they are if anything ranging from reasonably dull (the Sigma) to just right (the Sigma/404), with the Sigma Pro somewhere in between. I would certainly suggest hearing before buying with these. OTOH, if you like a phone that seems to be fatigue free without any dullness, try a Sigma/404.
A SR-007 without less bass impact than a Lambda series phone is an underpowered phone. The Lambdas are far easier to drive.

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #14,613 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
More or less. Personally, I have no problem with bright headphones. I actually prefer them (I preferred the lambda sig to the O2 in my brief encounter despite some lower refinement because of the frequency response).  
For the record, I'm also interested in seeing what sigma pros are like for these genres, but have no way to actually experience them. Are there any users around?

Mr Green, if you like bright phones, you aren't gonna like the Sigma series. The very antithesis of bright, they are if anything ranging from reasonably dull (the Sigma) to just right (the Sigma/404), with the Sigma Pro somewhere in between. I would certainly suggest hearing before buying with these. OTOH, if you like a phone that seems to be fatigue free without any dullness, try a Sigma/404.
A SR-007 without less bass impact than a Lambda series phone is an underpowered phone. The Lambdas are far easier to drive.

Good to know regarding the sigma I saw the frequency repsonse and thought it would not be for me - but I wasn't sure as to whether the bass hump (and lack of treble relative to mids) didn't have more to do with frequency response changing because of the particular design. Interesting, since I preferred the relative lack of impact that the O2 was giving. It doesn't necessarily shock me that they were under powered.

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by jjinh 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGreen 

I'm not looking for visceral impact at all. In fact, the rather poor impact (IMO) of the Omega is preferable, however I do not like the darkness. I also found the Lambda Sigs bass very good and impactful.

For some perspective, I'm coming here with a long-time love for Etymotic canalphones - which have virtually zero impact. For some other perspective - I hate the tonal presentation of say, HD650 and LCD-2. I don't mind the O2s, but would prefer more treble (like the sig).

Just curious if theres anything else I should be looking at (like a 202).

@jjinh, indeed. I am still looking for a pair of sigs (SR202 as well).

The Omegas have relatively less bass impact compared to the Lambda Sigs? That 's an odd impression to me... from my experience the SR-007s have substantial and more than sufficient weight to its bass, especially compared to the lambdas.

Were you wearing the SR-007s properly? (Serious question. The SR-007s are not bass light headphones).

Yes. I do not think they were bass light. I think that they were essentially neutral (save for some smoothing in the treble). The impact/slam/whatever you want to call it, was lower than the lambdas.

Call it underpowered, or whatever. I actually liked it (but the price is a little steep for me to just "make do" with the treble).

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:08 AM Post #14,616 of 24,807
If you are ever getting more bass out of a Lambda then the SR-007 then something is very wrong.  Even with the small "Basic" amps there is far more bass.  

As for your question about the 507, it is the most refined Lambda so I wouldn't recommend it for you. 

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #14,617 of 24,807

Quote:
If you are ever getting more bass out of a Lambda then the SR-007 then something is very wrong.  Even with the small "Basic" amps there is far more bass.  

As for your question about the 507, it is the most refined Lambda so I wouldn't recommend it for you. 

Well, it's been a few days since I heard it, but anyway.

I'm a fan of refinement. I've read comments about the 507 being darker than other lambdas, however. Is this true?

Edit: Disregard that. I'll keep holding out for a sig. I have an appointment with a local head-fier who owns an SR-507 in January when he gets back. I'll make up my own mind

Are there any frequency response measurements around like there are for most of the stax series?

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #14,618 of 24,807
Indeed. I think the first thing I've noticed when I tried the O2 out of the KGSS was "wow, this thing seriously packs a wallop in the bass region". It makes the 404LE sounds thin and dry if you compare it side-by-side. 

I seriously doubt that any Lambda is going to be dark-sounding though because all the Lambdas that I've tried (SR-Lambda, 202, 404 Sig and 404LE) are all neutral-to-the-bright side, airy, and forward-sounding. 

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #14,621 of 24,807
i owned a KGSS for a while and heard the KGSS against the BHSE more than once and they are not even close. the O2 sounds fair to good with the KGSS but sounds amazing with the BHSE. the price difference between the two is great but so is the sound.

Dec 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #14,625 of 24,807
Having been blown away by the Stax on display at the recent London meet it was inevitable I joined the club. Managed to pick up the SR303 for a fair price on ebay and although the amp it came with is very beginner (SRM-XH) and the source nothing high-end (FiiO E16 lineout) they still sound utterly wonderful and not actually monumentally worse than when powered through the impressive tube amp at the meet as I'd feared they would (probably would be a different matter in direct comparison I'm sure).

Am drifting off into Tinariwen's Imidiwan with them as I type...

This design fits my head really well and comfort in general is great but after a few albums though the foam touching my ears is starting to irritate a little- is there some mod to fix this or is it something your ears just get used to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back