The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #14,131 of 24,807

What's a LOD?

Quote:
here is a well known and expensive LOD from one of the major manufacturers.
http://gilmore.chem.northwestern.edu/dsc_1441.jpg

Taken by my camera, and you can't see it, but one of the solder blobs
has come off the pin it was attached to. All the magic wire in the world
won't fix this kind of solder job.

If monstercable got into making LOD's you can be assured that the product
quality would be way better, and the price would be less.

Oct 6, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #14,132 of 24,807
Hey do the SR-Lambdas have better mids and highs than the Nova basics? Just curious b/c while quite good, the resolution doesn't seem to be the same to me. The bass is probably stronger but the details are a bit less than I recall them being. I am working on memory though.  before.

Oct 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #14,135 of 24,807

Quote:
Depending on how you count the volts
wink.gif

I meant have you driven O2's to the max
permitted by the 580V bias?
(2x580V=1160Vmax stator-to-stator)

Why on earth would anybody do that? 

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #14,138 of 24,807
I mean what is the objective behind the mentioned voltage swings and not
under which conditions they are achieved. This will give the answer to
your question as to why I'm asking about driving O2 to the max
smily_headphones1.gif

more precisely: creating an amp capable of doing so.

Oct 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #14,139 of 24,807
The O2 MKI's arrived today.  I'm running them off the SRM-313 and I'm really liking what I hear, A LOT!  It's been a while since I last heard the O2 but I'm really digging it on my own set up.  I'm quite happy and I think I can lay off the upgrade path for a while.  I'm actually thinking about selling off my dynamic gear that might be neglected now.. yikes!

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:09 AM Post #14,140 of 24,807
I borrowed an O2/717 rig again, the former on condition that I repaired the wiring in the cups.  Holy crap those wires were small.  I had to set up a special jig and re-do the right cup wiring twice before it stopped cutting out.  It's second time lucky for me though, as my rig is better suited to them than the last time I had a pair here.

Oct 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #14,141 of 24,807
I have some, perhaps, difficult questions. Lambda vs Omega:
1. How affect an oval and how a round diaphragm the sound?
2. And how is the  tension of diaphragm? I imagine it must be perfectly adjusted: too loose - you lose the trebles,  on the other hand a lot of tension can destroy the bass. ?
3. Is a diaphragm area in Lambda transducer bigger or this one in Omega?
4. The treble is generated another way as low bass: Are treble more to find in the middle of diaphragm and bass will be generated more at the edges what I suppose?
5. 4070 has similar transducers to Lamda 202/303/404 but I suppose, not the same. Are these only different  stators or also the diaphragm is attached in same way as in 507?
Some answers could help us to mod the earpads/ESP or eventually to diy extra pads - more individual / more efficient.  We have different ears...

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #14,142 of 24,807

Quote:
I borrowed an O2/717 rig again, the former on condition that I repaired the wiring in the cups.  Holy crap those wires were small.  I had to set up a special jig and re-do the right cup wiring twice before it stopped cutting out.  It's second time lucky for me though, as my rig is better suited to them than the last time I had a pair here.

Currawong, are you talking about those small silver ribons, connecting the cable to the PCB's?
I'm fighting with the same problem
biggrin.gif

The space is so tight that when I pack the thing I get a solder-to-solder contact.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #14,143 of 24,807
I am Liquidating some of my headphones and have a question about some Stax I have.  They are the SR80-Pros + SRM-Xs.   I was wondering what I should ask for these in the ForSale forum.  Any idea?  I was also considering trader but still do not have a real idea about how much they are worth.

Thanks guys

Oct 8, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #14,144 of 24,807

Quote:
Currawong, are you talking about those small silver ribons, connecting the cable to the PCB's?
I'm fighting with the same problem
biggrin.gif

The space is so tight that when I pack the thing I get a solder-to-solder contact.

Yup, those ones. The design is pretty awful.  I thought it was corrosion, but it appears Stax left some green crap on one of the contacts as well, which I had to get off.

Oct 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #14,145 of 24,807
Listening to Matisyahu's "Live at Stubb's" album out of the O2s and I am absolutely stunned. Live music in general sounds incredible. I've had these for almost a year and just can't press how detailed and clear these headphones are. One of the best investments I've ever made in my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back