The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #13,774 of 24,807
Anyone interested in Stax (or Quad) loudspeakers should check out Electrostatic Solutions, run by Kent McCollum:  Electrostatic Solutions  He knows a lot about them, and just finished rebuilding my F83's.  There is a resistor on the RC network board that is very prone to failure, after which the speaker panels are in danger.  He can replace the RC board,
the power supply, and even the panels themselves.  

What did Faust2D decide?

Jul 25, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #13,775 of 24,807
Just saw Stax SR Omega on Audiogon. Are these really the holy grail of Stax electrostatic? The guy wants $5959 so not really in my budget but is that really how much these are worth? From what I have read so far it sounded
like the O2 Mk1 were the ones to get.

Jul 25, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #13,778 of 24,807

I've owned such an amp for several months.
It's certainly better than your tiny Stax amp.
I can't compare it to the discontinued SRM-T1S though.
Makes more sense to ask the guys at the german hifi-forum.de since most of the amps in existence were built by by Rille for the german community but I guess you are a member there anyway.
Which one do you get?
The one Sven is offering lately?
In any case : if you ever need spare or replacement tubes or want to try the joys of tube rolling shoot me a PM.
I still do have a dozens of those tubes (many manufacturers and makes).
Quote:
Anyone had the chance to listen to the High-Amp DIY Hybrid Amp yet? Getting one soon and it looks like it is above the T1S in terms of performance.

Jul 25, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #13,779 of 24,807
Quote:
Just saw Stax SR Omega on Audiogon. Are these really the holy grail of Stax electrostatic? The guy wants $5959 so not really in my budget but is that really how much these are worth? From what I have read so far it sounded
like the O2 Mk1 were the ones to get.

I believe less than 600 pairs were ever made so they are extremely rare which is one reason they command such a high price.

Quote:
3500-4200 is where they always sit on yahoo auctions.

A pair sold for 220001JPY yesterday (25 July) on Yahoo Auctions to a kuboten user. At the current exchange rate that's slightly more than 2500USD but I've seen them sell for double that price, or even more. 

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #13,780 of 24,807
They did indeed.

I also know the funny man that purchased them... I'm sure he'll see this soon.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #13,782 of 24,807
Hi Jin how are the Sigma Pro's working out? I probably just did not have enough amp to power them properly. That and how different in sound compared to my Lambda Signature they are but the Lambda Signature is probably considered very bright and forward in the midrange in comparison.  Do you think the O2 Mk1 or Mk2 would be the ones to go for?

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #13,783 of 24,807
Hey! I just had my first detailed listen to the sigmas yesterday.

Yes the lambda sigs do seem a bit brighter than the sigmas but I'm not sure about being more forward. But anyway I like forward.

Going off memory I prefer the sigma's mids as I recall the lambda sigs sound a bit thin in comparison (I could be wrong as I havent had a detailed listen to my lambda sigs yet. I've only just finished cleaning them of all this deteriorated foam and putting them back together).

The sigmas have this big, big but realistic soundstage and some good bass to boot. They just feel a bit insecure on my head. Anyway I certainly enjoyed them yesterday :D

So what are you looking to find in the SR-007s (compared to the lambda sigs)?

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #13,784 of 24,807
Glad to hear you restored the foam maybe that was having a negative effect on the sound. The bass did have a lot more impact. They did feel loose and the pads are much thinner that probably makes it hard to have a air tight seal. If I buy
O2 I would hope for better everything compared to Lambda Sig considering the price and would need at least Srm-717. I see them in the for sale forums here and one set is available near by. I have another pair of Lambda Sig that look to be in great shape compared to the ones I have on that will be here in a few days. Isn't the O2 Mk1 or Mk2 a big step up in sound quality?

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #13,785 of 24,807
Would you Stax lovers be able to give me some input on making a decision? The dilemma is, if you had the choice of buying the;

Lamda pro + srd-x for  £350 
                 or
SRS 2050 ii system + stax extension lead for £300

What would you choose?
Are these prices fair?
Would I be able to get something better for same amount of money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back