The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #13,786 of 24,807

Quote:
Would you Stax lovers be able to give me some input on making a decision? The dilemma is, if you had the choice of buying the;

Lamda pro + srd-x for  £350 
                 or
SRS 2050 ii system + stax extension lead for £300

What would you choose?
Are these prices fair?
Would I be able to get something better for same amount of money?

I'd take the 2050II system.  I thought the Lambda pro mids were recessed in relation to the bass and treble, and the SRD-X is not very resolving or refined.  I'm not sure about the prices, but the 2050 doesn't look too far off.  I really like the vintage SR-Lambda with SRM-1 Mk2 Pro, but I can't say if it would be better than the 2050 (it will beat the Lambda pro with SRD-X).  The vintage stuff can have more problems with worn pads, channel imbalance or worn out caps in the amp.

Jul 26, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #13,787 of 24,807
Just received Lambda Signatures from a fellow Headfier today. Top notch proper condition. Its an experience in itself hearing how Stax models come to life after not being in service for a while. This must be them charging up
but for the first while the volume was much lower than my other pair would be. Then there was one thing really strange. I was just starting to play Billy Joel "Piano man" and it started out distorted and I turned the volume up and
sound got louder for a second but went down to be quiet even though the volume was up. I pulled the plug on the new headphones and disconnected the the usb from laptop. I ruined a my Ipod Touch last night, a glass of juice
spilled on it while it was plugged into the usb and it shut itself down for good. Just glad it didn't take the laptop out with it.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #13,788 of 24,807
Does anybody here have a SRM-600 amp?  I really need a picture of the underside of the main PCB so that any T1/006t can be modified to use ECC99's... 
regular_smile .gif

Jul 27, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #13,790 of 24,807
I currently have SR-202 + SR-404 + SRM-300 with 2 PRO-bias sockets to drive both at the same time. 

On this setup SR-202 is somewhat analytical and bass lean, while SR-404 has a fuller sound/more bass, but still as detailed (although others will probably argue that the fuller sound probably masks some detail)

Coming from Denon 1/2 markl modded D5000, I didn't enjoy SR-202 since orchestral music lacked body. On the other hand SR-202 sounds similar to the DT48 I had, except for not having recessed highs (or lows for the purpose of comparing to vintage DT48 8 ohm).

So IMO, it's really up to your preference for analytical or fuller sound.

I'm going to sell both the D5000 and SRS-2050a, but I've seen people sell their 404 and keep the 202 (albeit with a better amp)
Quote:
I'm quite happy with my SR-202's, but was thinking about getting a SR-303 or SR-404. Did anyone own both systems and can compare them? [size=xx-small] [/size]

p.s - keep in mind your setup - what this will all sound like with tube or discrete amp? The SRM-300 currently has an LME49720HA

p.s.s. just volume wise, srm-252a drives SR-404 exactly to the same volume as SR-202. 

Jul 28, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #13,791 of 24,807
Quote:
All of the stax amps are fully DC coupled. So if your source for some reason has even as low as 50 millivolts of DC, then
when you turn up the volume knob, the dc is amplified just like the ac, and the amp clips either the top or bottom rail.

If you put a pair of decent 10uf non-electrolytic caps in the input line and the problem goes away, its probably DC coming
from your source.

Remember the amps have a dc gain of more than 50db, so it does not take much dc to cause problems.
Thank you for the help, Kevin. 

Both driver units still clip with the line cable with a 3uf polyester-film 60v cap soldered into the active wire, and volume at the same level (3 o'clock).

I've measured the input wire voltage, and it's 25.3mV max. (avg of about 10mV, 20-25 = clipping)

Quote:
Hi, i have one issue for my SRM-252. If I turn off the SRM-252 and turn again in short period of time, I always encounter the power red led flashing and hear a continuos pop sound. What I did is just turn off again and wait a bit longer then turn on. Is this normal?

doesn't happen with my one

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #13,792 of 24,807
Is the SRM-252 led flash a bit when you turn on? Will it due to the power adaptor? (Mod router adaptor)

Jul 28, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #13,793 of 24,807

The light on my one lights up straight away, regardless of when it was last turned off/on.There is a light 'pop' when I turn it on, but it's very short / by no means continuous.

Could be because of the power adapter. What's your one rated as (V/A?), and have you measured the voltage under load or min/max voltage with a multimeter when turning it on?
Quote:
Is the SRM-252 led flash a bit when you turn on? Will it due to the power adaptor? (Mod router adaptor)

Jul 28, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #13,794 of 24,807

Quote:
I currently have SR-202 + SR-404 + SRM-300 with 2 PRO-bias sockets to drive both at the same time. 

On this setup SR-202 is somewhat analytical and bass lean, while SR-404 has a fuller sound/more bass, but still as detailed (although others will probably argue that the fuller sound probably masks some detail)

Coming from Denon 1/2 markl modded D5000, I didn't enjoy SR-202 since orchestral music lacked body. On the other hand SR-202 sounds similar to the DT48 I had, except for not having recessed highs (or lows for the purpose of comparing to vintage DT48 8 ohm).

So IMO, it's really up to your preference for analytical or fuller sound.

I'm going to sell both the D5000 and SRS-2050a, but I've seen people sell their 404 and keep the 202 (albeit with a better amp)

p.s - keep in mind your setup - what this will all sound like with tube or discrete amp? The SRM-300 currently has an LME49720HA

p.s.s. just volume wise, srm-252a drives SR-404 exactly to the same volume as SR-202. 

Thanks for your input, certainly sounds promising. I'm going to drive them with the High-Amp DIY Hybrid Amp.

Jul 28, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #13,797 of 24,807

np, btw, not sure if you've seen the post, so:  http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/223263/the-stax-thread-new/13620#post_6750334 

I don't know how credible the claims there are (e.g. incorrectly stating the membrane size), and whether there was any placebo listening there, but yea...(this is re: 404 vs lambdas)

Quote:
Sorry about that mate. I'm mainly looking into buying a SR-404 or SR-303 but also kinda want to try some vintage earspeakers :wink:

By the way, it looks like my SRM-300 and SRM-252a are fine, and so is my source. Talked to kevin gilmore (who was very helpful the entire way), he told me to measure the voltage on the R+/R- pins just before/after it clips (vol dial-wise), and it looks like the clipping happens because I'm simply trying to drive my earspeakers too loud on those tracks (2|3 o'clock+) (something about the VAC measured with the multimeter when clipping being consistent with the rail to rail voltage|max out voltage and hence clipping when it goes over). 

So once again, thank you everyone for helping out with this, and especially kevin gilmore :) .

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #13,800 of 24,807

Quote:
The light on my one lights up straight away, regardless of when it was last turned off/on.There is a light 'pop' when I turn it on, but it's very short / by no means continuous.

Could be because of the power adapter. What's your one rated as (V/A?), and have you measured the voltage under load or min/max voltage with a multimeter when turning it on?

I dont have the multimeter. The label of the adaptor stated output 12V == 1A  12W max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back