The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #13,757 of 24,807
heh, 
biggrin.gif

About the clipping:

something weird is going on: past around 3 o'clock volume knob, the srm-300 also starts clipping like my srm-252a...
With the SRS-2050A I thought it was maybe the earspeakers, the amp or the power supply...

Except the SRM-300 has its own power supply. And this happens with both the SR-202 and 404...And with 3 sources - musiland 02 us, aune mk2 with OPA2604 (sound cuts off at 3/4) or LME49720 (starts clipping like the other two), or my Sony MD system.

Incidentally it happens in two different rooms
confused.gif
 (at this point I'm open to mystical explanations).

The same tracks are completely fine using the Aune mk2 + denon D5000 (Audacity shows no clipping regions in the tracks.)

popcorn.gif
In other words I have a slight suspicion that my SRM-252 wasn't faulty and something else entirely is going on.

Would be people be so kind to try an extract from the Mozart concerto that's clipping (among other tracks) and post whether it happens on their setup (and what driver unit, earspeakers they use, as well as what the stax driver unit is plugged into) or not at high volumes (vol knob at 3 o'clock+) : http://rapidshare.com/files/408121060/Track_1.flac (flac, apprx 500kb and 8s)

p.s. yes, normally 12 o'clock on the volume knob is really loud, but some classical music sounds somewhat quiet at even 3 o'clock. 

Jul 21, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #13,760 of 24,807
I have received SRD7 that I have bought from Spritzer a couple days ago. This little amp connected to a cheap vintage integrated amp sounds really good. I am actually quite surprised because many people here said SRD7 has its limitation when used with 007. Now, I haven't heard BHSE or WES or KGSS so my experience is very limited but I think this combo is quite comparable to 717. Maybe it is due to Spritzer's modifications?

I could easily tell the difference between 717 and T1S, especially in bass area. However, SRD7 is much closer to 717 performance level. At this stage, I don't even know which one I would keep (until I get my hands on KGSSHV). I guess I need to spend some more time comparing two. I might really sell my 717 after getting the proper speaker amp for SRD7.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #13,761 of 24,807

Quote:
I have received SRD7 that I have bought from Spritzer a couple days ago. This little amp connected to a cheap vintage integrated amp sounds really good. I am actually quite surprised because many people here said SRD7 has its limitation when used with 007. Now, I haven't heard BHSE or WES or KGSS so my experience is very limited but I think this combo is quite comparable to 717. Maybe it is due to Spritzer's modifications?

I could easily tell the difference between 717 and T1S, especially in bass area. However, SRD7 is much closer to 717 performance level. At this stage, I don't even know which one I would keep (until I get my hands on KGSSHV). I guess I need to spend some more time comparing two. I might really sell my 717 after getting the proper speaker amp for SRD7.

I too like the sound of my SRD7 mk2 better than my T1S. I don't know if this is due to preferring SS to tube or just because I really like the sound of my amplifier.

Jul 21, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #13,762 of 24,807

Quote:
heh, 
biggrin.gif

About the clipping:

something weird is going on: past around 3 o'clock volume knob, the srm-300 also starts clipping like my srm-252a...
With the SRS-2050A I thought it was maybe the earspeakers, the amp or the power supply...

Except the SRM-300 has its own power supply. And this happens with both the SR-202 and 404...And with 3 sources - musiland 02 us, aune mk2 with OPA2604 (sound cuts off at 3/4) or LME49720 (starts clipping like the other two), or my Sony MD system.

Incidentally it happens in two different rooms
confused.gif
 (at this point I'm open to mystical explanations).

The same tracks are completely fine using the Aune mk2 + denon D5000 (Audacity shows no clipping regions in the tracks.)

popcorn.gif
In other words I have a slight suspicion that my SRM-252 wasn't faulty and something else entirely is going on.

Would be people be so kind to try an extract from the Mozart concerto that's clipping (among other tracks) and post whether it happens on their setup (and what driver unit, earspeakers they use, as well as what the stax driver unit is plugged into) or not at high volumes (vol knob at 3 o'clock+) : http://rapidshare.com/files/408121060/Track_1.flac (flac, apprx 500kb and 8s)

p.s. yes, normally 12 o'clock on the volume knob is really loud, but some classical music sounds somewhat quiet at even 3 o'clock. 

No clipping at all with the provided flac. SR-202 with a SRM-252A on a step-down transformer here.

Jul 21, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #13,763 of 24,807

Quote:

I too like the sound of my SRD7 mk2 better than my T1S. I don't know if this is due to preferring SS to tube or just because I really like the sound of my amplifier.

I bet they sound even better with Luxman amp that you have paired with SRD7!

Jul 21, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #13,766 of 24,807
All of the stax amps are fully DC coupled. So if your source for some reason has even as low as 50 millivolts of DC, then
when you turn up the volume knob, the dc is amplified just like the ac, and the amp clips either the top or bottom rail.

If you put a pair of decent 10uf non-electrolytic caps in the input line and the problem goes away, its probably DC coming
from your source.

Remember the amps have a dc gain of more than 50db, so it does not take much dc to cause problems.

Jul 21, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #13,767 of 24,807

duggehsmile.png
thanks very much, Kevin - sounds very feasible. 

mmm, any recommendation for 'decent' 10uf non-el caps?  (also, what voltage rating, I take it line in is <5V ?). Also, which non-el type do you mean? (ebay comes up with strange vintage things like USSR paper caps, or oil caps...

edit: is this one ok? http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=RZ6648&CATID=51&form=CAT&SUBCATID=874

edit2: Thanks to the people who helped by dl the file and posting what happens on their system 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
All of the stax amps are fully DC coupled. So if your source for some reason has even as low as 50 millivolts of DC, then
when you turn up the volume knob, the dc is amplified just like the ac, and the amp clips either the top or bottom rail.

If you put a pair of decent 10uf non-electrolytic caps in the input line and the problem goes away, its probably DC coming
from your source.

Remember the amps have a dc gain of more than 50db, so it does not take much dc to cause problems.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #13,768 of 24,807
no no no... not tantalum, thats worse than electrolytics...  you want to figure out what the problem is, not cause
more trouble.

something like this
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/WIMA/MKS4-10-50-10P15/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMvOcEq4GH1AAiNyTkPXydnes7BJaCyTggI%3d

anything really non-polarized.   mylar, polyester, polyprop. or if you want to get silly, teflon.
there are also some hi value ceramics which work great.

given the input impedance you can probably just get 1uf caps.

Anything laying around can be used just to test.

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #13,769 of 24,807
Hi, i have one issue for my SRM-252. If I turn off the SRM-252 and turn again in short period of time, I always encounter the power red led flashing and hear a continuos pop sound. What I did is just turn off again and wait a bit longer then turn on. Is this normal?

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #13,770 of 24,807
Jiinh posted:-  
Originally Posted by graben 

Luxman plus Stax is a pretty hard combo to beat. 
beerchug.gif

Sweet. I've got an old Luxman amp, but I havent tried it with my SRD7 yet
smile.gif

Jin,
the SRD7 and HE60 @ 404LE sound good powered by the mongrel. (80W Class A balanced amp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back