The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #13,456 of 24,807
I'm just going to get an A series that's universal voltage instead. This amp is really just temporary until the new KGSS-HVs are available, so I'm not that bothered if the C series sounds a bit better.

Jun 3, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #13,457 of 24,807
I found out a couple days ago that my SRM/1 MK/2 has a balance in the volume. It just was not as obvious to see as some of the other Stax amps. It quickly solved my balance problems. Maybe it was also dirty because just adjusting made the sound better. I just play a bass note type song and adjust so it sounds centered and it has not been a lot to adjust. Before this I went as as removing the ear pads unsoldering and switching the sides the drivers are on. This is a pair of Lambda Sig that was neglected and suffered damage to the driver when it was shipped to me. Now it seems to be the best I have heard so far.

Jun 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #13,458 of 24,807
Even Absolute Sound when it reviewed the same amplifier didn't realise that there were two concentric volume controls on that amplifier. Don't feel too bad you missed 'em.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #13,459 of 24,807
Spritzer. I wonder if somebody could post pics of your SR-007 Mk2 surgery/mod you will be performing at CJ.
That would be very helpful.
Wish I could be there but my son graduates from HS tomorrow/weekend.
Good luck to all of you who will be there!
beerchug.gif

Jun 4, 2010 at 6:05 AM Post #13,460 of 24,807
So after auditioning all the headphones imaginable whilst in Japan last week. The stax headphones reproduced the music in a manner that was very much to my liking. There was a natural sense of relaxed detailing, purity and transient response that just couldn't be replicated by most of the dynamic cans there. I won't go in to how the Omegas separated themselves from the others but undoubtedly the basic system (SRS 2050) is a remarkable value. I was just lost in the music with this phone. I am very certain that I preferred them to the more expensive SRS 3050 and 4040 systems! Even though they were less expensive in Japan I didn't purchase them there. I decided I'll purchase them at the Stax dealership in Taiwan because if anything were to happen to the phones I really didn't want to have to ship them back to Japan by myself.

So yesterday, I even skipped school! (not so uncommon haha) and went to purchase the SRS 2050 system, only to find out that they were all sold out. I was told that they will be replaced with a new model being imported from Japan next month. Does any of you guys know about this? I can still purchase the SRS 2050 from SEYO for about 500 bucks shipped and that is a price I feel comfortable paying for what that system has to offer. My hunch is that these newer models are going to be more expensive. So do you guys think I should wait? Need wise counseling.

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #13,462 of 24,807

Quote:
So after auditioning all the headphones imaginable whilst in Japan last week. The stax headphones reproduced the music in a manner that was very much to my liking. There was a natural sense of relaxed detailing, purity and transient response that just couldn't be replicated by most of the dynamic cans there. I won't go in to how the Omegas separated themselves from the others but undoubtedly the basic system (SRS 2050) is a remarkable value. I was just lost in the music with this phone. I am very certain that I preferred them to the more expensive SRS 3050 and 4040 systems! Even though they were less expensive in Japan I didn't purchase them there. I decided I'll purchase them at the Stax dealership in Taiwan because if anything were to happen to the phones I really didn't want to have to ship them back to Japan by myself.

So yesterday, I even skipped school! (not so uncommon haha) and went to purchase the SRS 2050 system, only to find out that they were all sold out. I was told that they will be replaced with a new model being imported from Japan next month. Does any of you guys know about this? I can still purchase the SRS 2050 from SEYO for about 500 bucks shipped and that is a price I feel comfortable paying for what that system has to offer. My hunch is that these newer models are going to be more expensive. So do you guys think I should wait? Need wise counseling.

What made u prefer the 202 over the 303 and 404?
Was the 2050 system loud enough with low distortion (i guess it has the 252 amp right?)?
Where did you find the lowest price?

Jun 4, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #13,463 of 24,807

Quote:

What made u prefer the 202 over the 303 and 404?
Was the 2050 system loud enough with low distortion (i guess it has the 252 amp right?)?
Where did you find the lowest price?

For me it, it's just that I preffered the midrange on the SRS 2050. The others may have been perhaps more detailed but to my ears not as natural sounding. I didn't really get enough time to check distortion levels on such a cursory audition but the details are very intelligible even at low volumes which I generally prefer to listen at. The mids can be a bit lacking in body at times though. At Yodobashi they were about 40-45000 yen.I've seen them on a few Japanese websites for 39600 yen. I think the best place to buy them online would be at SEYO for $482 + shipping.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:52 PM Post #13,464 of 24,807

Quote:Originally Posted by HONEYBOY 
 The mids can be a bit lacking in body at times though.

was this true for the 303 and 404 too?

Jun 5, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #13,465 of 24,807
Honeboy, I have not heard anything about a new 202 model coming up. Somebody mentioned about a replacement for the SR001 Mk2 while back abut I don't know if its all rumors or not.

Jun 5, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #13,466 of 24,807
Quote:
Spritzer. I wonder if somebody could post pics of your SR-007 Mk2 surgery/mod you will be performing at CJ.
That would be very helpful.
Wish I could be there but my son graduates from HS tomorrow/weekend.
Good luck to all of you who will be there!
beerchug.gif

Just pics? I think someone should make a movie out of it! If a picture is worth a thousand words, then a video must be much, much more.
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back