The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #13,426 of 24,807
You have to figure out the new CCS on your own which really isn't that hard to do.  If you fail to do so then I'd really advise against working on the BH.  Short of the T2 it is the most complicated amp out there and if you do something wrong you could end up with a very expensive lump of charred parts.  Some of my boards went to DIY'ers all over the world which had blown up their amps. 

Quote:
My Sigma Pro leather headband is very stretched and needs to be replaced. Can I use the same as the Lambda models? any of them? If not, any ideas? Both ends are overly stretched and getting pretty thin.

All of the Stax suspended headbands (bar the SR-007/4070) are the same and can be swapped easily. 

May 28, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #13,427 of 24,807
Maestro, the best CCS I know is a choke of a size of a fridge!!! All the rest is a magic to me.
Just wanted to do something in a kit-style manner, without investing too much time.
Have no experience in sand, esp HV sand, but managed some time ago to design and construct a 872A bridge, 
supplying 1.5kV to a 304tl (and 866A FW supplying 1kV to GM70). But that was not on a PCB as you
can imagine :wink: I've seen your earlier post advertising against Kevin's published DIY board as being prone
to fireworks. May I ask what's wrong with them? Is a special laminate + soldermask needed??
Have been thinking of a standard 2mm FR4, 70um Cu...

Thanks!

May 28, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #13,428 of 24,807
I have 2 original BH's, and they have thousands of hours on them.
Never any trouble. Not in a high moisture area, and in a no smoking
house.

Tobacco really does a number on high voltage things.

May 28, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #13,429 of 24,807

Quote:
I have 2 original BH's, and they have thousands of hours on them.
Never any trouble. Not in a high moisture area, and in a no smoking
house.

Tobacco really does a number on high voltage things.

Tar is bad for the wet lands and lungs too.

May 28, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #13,430 of 24,807
http://ferrstein.com/headphones.htm

Quote:
All of the Stax suspended headbands (bar the SR-007/4070) are the same and can be swapped easily. 

Ferrstein mentions the original headband uses a small metal pin and a metal receiver that is glued into the sides of the earspeaker enclosure and ... that the new headband pin is all plastic and thicker, thus it does not fit the Sigma holes. Apparently removing the metal receivers/holes from the Lambdas is relatively easy (but not with the Sigma) if the head band is replaced with the newer 303 system.

Did you mean the old Lambdas only? Audiocubes 2 sells the replacement headband for Lambda Nova Classic at $129.99. Would those work?

May 29, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #13,431 of 24,807

Quote:

Ferrstein mentions the original headband uses a small metal pin and a metal receiver that is glued into the sides of the earspeaker enclosure and ... that the new headband pin is all plastic and thicker, thus it does not fit the Sigma holes. Apparently removing the metal receivers/holes from the Lambdas is relatively easy (but not with the Sigma) if the head band is replaced with the newer 303 system.

Did you mean the old Lambdas only? Audiocubes 2 sells the replacement headband for Lambda Nova Classic at $129.99. Would those work?

Take a pic and send me a link via PM.  I have a crap load of headbands and arcs, but very few of the slider pieces.  I probably have a headband I can sell you for far less than the $129 for a replacement headband assembly.  I just need to see what you need as I'm not a Stax expert like the Senors are...

May 29, 2010 at 9:17 AM Post #13,432 of 24,807
Since I finished this yesterday, a modified Stax SRM-Xh amp which now has the same rail voltages as the Exstata and can accept a balanced input signal. 
biggrin.gif
  Fully discrete, fully DC-coupled and fully balanced, just how I like it:

Some really high end kit in there, a 4-gang TKD 601 pot, Cardas RCA's, Lemo balanced connector and the nicest caps I could find.  The balanced cable had to be custom made since a 5pin Lemo isn't exactly a common balanced connector...
tongue.gif

Quote:
May I ask what's wrong with them? Is a special laminate + soldermask needed??
Have been thinking of a standard 2mm FR4, 70um Cu...

Thanks!

Nothing major really, just the main power rails are a bit close to some of the board supports and with metal spacers you can have a short.  I use nylon and zero issues with hundreds of hours on my unit. 

Quote:

If it is only the cloth material on your set which is failing then you can just remove that bit, no need to replace the whole arc assembly.  If you look at the sliding bit with the Lambda logo, on the inside there are two screws and the the assembly falls apart.  Be careful to do this over some container as there are small parts in there which like to get lost (a small plate, a spring and do note the orientation of the plastic friction plate which holds up the headband). 

May 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #13,433 of 24,807

Quote:
If it is only the cloth material on your set which is failing then you can just remove that bit, no need to replace the whole arc assembly.  If you look at the sliding bit with the Lambda logo, on the inside there are two screws and the the assembly falls apart.  Be careful to do this over some container as there are small parts in there which like to get lost (a small plate, a spring and do note the orientation of the plastic friction plate which holds up the headband). 

Thank you.  BoilermakerFan is checking if he has any spare parts. I dissasembled the head band per your instructions. The cloth maerial is literally desintegrating at its insertion sides.
As far as the amp, it looks pretty cool!

May 29, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #13,435 of 24,807

Quote:
Thank you.  BoilermakerFan is checking if he has any spare parts. I dissasembled the head band per your instructions. The cloth maerial is literally desintegrating at its insertion sides.
As far as the amp, it looks pretty cool!

Oh, I definitely have the headstraps.  Well over ten of them ATM.

Arcs, I have tons of the light colored Novas, and probably ten of the 303 arcs. 

May 30, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #13,439 of 24,807
Hi Stax Gurus
I have developed a problem with the left driver of a lambda pro.
There seems to be reduced volume at times which reverts back to normal if I push on the back of the outer cover of the driver or shake my head when listening.
There seems to be a persistant very low volume squeal coming from the driver most of the time when it has normal volume.
I have opened up the drivers to check the wire connections and they all seem good and there does not appear to be any damage or anything out of the ordinary with the driver (the back side only as it appears that I would have to fully remove the earpads to look at front side of the driver)
Does anyone have experience with this type of problem and suggestions for further DIY diagnosis and repair?
Any help would be much appreciated as I am on a tight budget and I love listening to my music.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back