The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM Post #12,586 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great post, as usual, spritzer.

If anybody wants a pretty easy to follow primer on how our mind works with regards to audio, I think this video is really nice:
YouTube - Audio Myths Workshop
I wish everybody who registered here was forced to at least watch the first 10 minutes of this video. They don't have to agree with it, but I bet there'd be a ton less ridiculous "reviews" around here.
Also, saying that a silver cable "especially" needs time to "break in" might be the worst thing I've ever read on this site.
tongue.gif

that was a very good view of audio myths. thank you for linking to it.
music as a rule is generally an emotional response. listening rooms, standing waves etc make me so happy that i'm a headphone fanatic and don't need to deal with all of that on top of what i already perceive.

Jan 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #12,587 of 24,807
I need more experimentation but i feel my second hand Lambda Nova sounds bright when i leave it unplugged from the amp, even for only a day. It was really a love/hate relationship for days and days until i realized that. These days i think it sounds much smoother. So i'd tend to agree with spritzer's explanation, i think it's a true thing about electrostats.
I'm not sure about amp warm up but i noticed that old amps like the T1 have a preheat function. Maybe Stax fixed the issue since then?

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #12,588 of 24,807
Great post,will save a lot of money to someone!

Quote:

If anybody wants a pretty easy to follow primer on how our mind works with regards to audio, I think this video is really nice:
I wish everybody who registered here was forced to at least watch the first 10 minutes of this video. They don't have to agree with it, but I bet there'd be a ton less ridiculous "reviews" around here.
Also, saying that a silver cable "especially" needs time to "break in" might be the worst thing I've ever read on this site.
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #12,589 of 24,807
Amen to both.
EDIT: Except the cable stuff mentioned by spritzer which is not correct.

Great video.

Quote:

tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #12,590 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need more experimentation but i feel my second hand Lambda Nova sounds bright when i leave it unplugged from the amp, even for only a day. It was really a love/hate relationship for days and days until i realized that. These days i think it sounds much smoother. So i'd tend to agree with spritzer's explanation, i think it's a true thing about electrostats.
I'm not sure about amp warm up but i noticed that old amps like the T1 have a preheat function. Maybe Stax fixed the issue since then?

I tend to agree. I leave my phones plugged in even when not turned on and it seems that they sound better that way. If I have to remove the phones from the amp, I short out the pins to try to discharge any charge built up on the drivers.

I think we have been using the terms "parasitic charge" and "electret effect" for this problem.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #12,591 of 24,807
The preheat function is still working on my preheatbuttonless T1W, it's a first small warm up to prolong tube life by not having the full power in an instant. It is silent for about 10 seconds before sound comes through.

Jan 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #12,593 of 24,807
At 100 hours of use on the new pair, they now sound identical to Larry's 100 hour pair. No big surprise to me as this is just what I expected when I made my original comment.

Just thought I would report back.

BTW, I always unplug my stats and short the pins when I done listening.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #12,596 of 24,807
Quote:

Sorry but i can't figure out what "short the pins" means?
redface.gif

I think they just mean that after you unplug them, place your finger over the ends of the pins to allow your skin to drain the charges.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #12,597 of 24,807
Quote:

Sorry but i can't figure out what "short the pins" means?
redface.gif

Use fingers to tap the pins of the 5-pin plug. Hence shortcut between them and probably discharge the transducers.

Jan 28, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #12,598 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At 100 hours of use on the new pair, they now sound identical to Larry's 100 hour pair. No big surprise to me as this is just what I expected when I made my original comment.

Just thought I would report back.

BTW, I always unplug my stats and short the pins when I done listening.

Not to add flames to the previous fire that seems to be under control now, my 404LE's did seem to improve over the first week as well. To be honest, the first day or two I owned them I was somewhat disappointed, ready to return to dynamics. They are fantastic now, and I haven't listened to my Beyers for weeks. Even if it was all in my head, like many would believe, something did change during those initial days.

FWIW, I leave my pair plugged into my eXStatA all of the time, whereas at first, I would plug and unplug them each time. Maybe this is what accounts for the change in sound???

Jan 28, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #12,599 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

A couple of reasons:

I will not necessarily be listening to the same pair next time around and like to keep them bagged when not in use to keep the dust off of them. This is easier to do with the cord nicely (and somewhat anally) rolled up. So when I unplug them, I touch the pins with my finger to discharge them as a matter of habit.

They will actually stay charged for quite a while unplugged if not discharged but when plugged into the amp, the amp and stats discharge pretty quickly when powered off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back