The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2010 at 3:48 AM Post #12,617 of 24,807
I own O2 mk1 ... and I have 007tii (tube).

I don't see often that amp ... 717/727 is better or just different flavor ?
With the oo7tii, I like the sound but it's a bit soft (dynamic could be better) when I compare them to my dynamic setup.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #12,618 of 24,807
The O2 is hard to drive so it likes to have more power.
340V vs 450V of RMS voltage on the 717 -> more power leads to more extended highs and lows with better dynamics, the 007tii might have slighly better mids but the 717 is considered to be better overall.

SRM-717 is considered to be better than the SRM-727II where they fiddled with the output stage and it didn't do too much good to the sound(search this thread for more info).

Feb 1, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #12,621 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
High end amp are all tubes ... Nothing better than 717 for stax as SS amp ?

I'm not sure I follow you here, would you mind clarifying what you mean?

Feb 1, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #12,622 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the 007tii, but I felt it just didn't have enough oomph with the O2 mk1 (and mk2). The KGSS DX fixes that.

Are they still doing a DX version of the KGSS? There isn't anything that I could find about available upgrades on the Headamp site.

Feb 1, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #12,624 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NICE! You've completely de-stupified it.
beerchug.gif

How does it compare to the eXStatA?

It should be equal to (or more likely surpass) the WES so you can extrapolate from there. This circuit is mostly DC coupled where the WES is not and the parts quality here is much better coupled with a very stiff PSU. So much so in fact the amp will continue to play for good while (up to a minute or even longer) after the power is switched off, though not a full volume...
tongue.gif

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #12,625 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should be equal to (or more likely surpass) the WES so you can extrapolate from there. This circuit is mostly DC coupled where the WES is not and the parts quality here is much better coupled with a very stiff PSU. So much so in fact the amp will continue to play for good while (up to a minute or even longer) after the power is switched off, though not a full volume...
tongue.gif

You need to bring it to CanJam, then start an amp restoration business. You could do the work while the bread bakes.

Feb 1, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #12,626 of 24,807
Sorry Padam but not in my book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The O2 is hard to drive so it likes to have more power.
340V vs 450V of RMS voltage on the 717 -> more power leads to more extended highs and lows with better dynamics, the 007tii might have slighly better mids but the 717 is considered to be better overall.

SRM-717 is considered to be better than the SRM-727II where they fiddled with the output stage and it didn't do too much good to the sound(search this thread for more info).

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #12,627 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to bring it to CanJam, then start an amp restoration business. You could do the work while the bread bakes.

No way I'm shipping this thing as it weighs close to 25kg's.
redface.gif
Also rebuilds of this caliber would be very expensive if I weren't just wasting my own spare time on it. Just prepping the chassis took 10+ hours...

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #12,628 of 24,807
I've always liked Stax headphones. Probably the best cans I have ever heard.

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #12,629 of 24,807
Ciao.
I am actually using a STAX 4070 with an Illusion ESC-1001. Can you tell me which is the correct procedure about turning off the system ?

1A) Turning off the CD player
2A) Turning off the Integrated Amplifier connected to the Illusion
3A) Turning off the Illusion ESC-1001
or
1B) Turning off the CD player
2B) Turning off the Illusion ESC-1001
3B) Turning off the Integrated Amplifier connected to the Illusion

I am askign that because actually i am doing the 'A' mode, and when i turn off the Amplifier (2A) i can hear a little 'TOC' on the headphone. Is that dangerous ? Should i try the 'B' mode ?

thanks you once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #12,630 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan_McCloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ciao.
I am actually using a STAX 4070 with an Illusion ESC-1001. Can you tell me which is the correct procedure about turning off the system ?

1A) Turning off the CD player
2A) Turning off the Integrated Amplifier connected to the Illusion
3A) Turning off the Illusion ESC-1001
or
1B) Turning off the CD player
2B) Turning off the Illusion ESC-1001
3B) Turning off the Integrated Amplifier connected to the Illusion

I am askign that because actually i am doing the 'A' mode, and when i turn off the Amplifier (2A) i can hear a little 'TOC' on the headphone. Is that dangerous ? Should i try the 'B' mode ?

thanks you once again
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's how you do it.

You turn on from the source out to the end device.

Maybe something Like DAC > Pre-amp > Amp > Interface adapter >> Speakers/HP

Turn Off in the opposite direction, that is from the end device to the source, with the source being turned off last.

You should be able to figure it out , but neither A nor B above.

That's how I've always done it.

B wold probably work fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back