The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 9, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #12,466 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsx_23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking of purchasing a Stax SRM1 MKII type C for use with my 404s. Is about $440ish shipped for this amp a reasonable price, and how would it pair with the 404?

Go for it!
The price sounds reasonable to me, although you may be able to find one for a bit cheaper if you wait. Perhaps not a type C though..

Bring those SR-404 I gave you to life...
popcorn.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #12,467 of 24,807
Hmm, what were the main differences between the C and the earlier versions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go for it - if it's in excellent condition - that amp is rather nice and very well built. Ask for a picture of the rear of the amp to show the block. In Melbourne, go and have a look at Trevor Lees Audio and see if they have any used Stax stuff for sale.

I do have a picture of the rear, and there's no "block" per se. The seller has said he will rewire it for 240V though
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems somebody is having trouble with Trevor lees audio - http://scottjnrwah.wordpress.com/

Jan 9, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #12,468 of 24,807
If all Stax amps are as easy as my T1W turned out to be, you won't get to any problem even if it does not get rewired
smile.gif

You just may need some help of the knowledgeable Stax people.

on another note: I noticed that I selecting another input does not really shut off the audio signal. If I play music into input 1 but select input 2 I can easily hear this as noise on lower levels, and clearly audible on higher levels. Is this just bad design? No real problem as I just use one source at a time anyway, but it feels strange.

Jan 10, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #12,469 of 24,807
Quote:

Hmm, what were the main differences between the C and the earlier versions?

I do have a picture of the rear, and there's no "block" per se. The seller has said he will rewire it for 240V though
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems somebody is having trouble with Trevor lees audio - High Fidelity – buying from Trevor Lees Audio

Years ago I had a "C: but got rid of it because it only had high bias sockets and I needed a low bias. I now have an A and B, each has high and low bias and I can't hear any obviois difference between the A and B models on either high or low bias.

Jan 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #12,471 of 24,807
The some high SN C series were built like the PP model (which was a derivative of the ATR version, intended for studio use) even if they don't bear the PP badge. The changes include better wiring, better resistors and supposedly transistor matching (no way to confirm this though).

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #12,472 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The some high SN C series were built like the PP model (which was a derivative of the ATR version, intended for studio use) even if they don't bear the PP badge. The changes include better wiring, better resistors and supposedly transistor matching (no way to confirm this though).

I think that was what I had. At the time I only had low bias Stax phones and had ordered an SRM1Mk2 from Audioadvisor, who had good deals for a while on Stax, which was at the time in bankruptcy. Alas, without a high bias phone the amp was useless to me and I sent it back unheard.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:34 PM Post #12,475 of 24,807
SR001 Mk2 (SR001 is discontinued) uses a battery powered amp with a custom plug so it is the portable version while the SR003 can be used with any of the amps since it uses the standard Pro plug. Sound-wise they are the same only the amp used makes a difference. But the cable is user replaceable so you can make an SR003 from an SR001 Mk2 and vice versa.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #12,476 of 24,807
Quote:

The 404 should couple reasonably nicely with the SRM to get a good idea of the "stax" signature sound right?

People I know that owned it said that they enjoyed the combo, should be enough to get an idea and more.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #12,477 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR001 Mk2 (SR001 is discontinued) uses a battery powered amp with a custom plug so it is the portable version while the SR003 can be used with any of the amps since it uses the standard Pro plug. Sound-wise they are the same only the amp used makes a difference. But the cable is user replaceable so you can make an SR003 from an SR001 Mk2 and vice versa.

Does it plug in? It looks hard wired in pictures.

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #12,479 of 24,807
Im looking for someone that would be willing to mod my srm-001 with the super fatcat mod +. If you (or know someone) have time, willingness and have the skill please send me a pm, Im sure we can arrange something
o2smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back