Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #12,136 of 24,807
What do you mean by R&D work?

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #12,137 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by R&D work?

Research and Design work. Audiocats found a lot of great DIY mods to improve the amplification on the SR-001. On a different stax related topic, he has also done some interesting things with the Stax bias adapters.

Nov 16, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #12,138 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is correct and I think they are more similar than different. They are slightly dark, have a little bit of roll off on top and when properly seated in you ears, they have fantastic bottom end.

I bought an SR-001 Mk2 system to hotrod and travel with (finished and burning in now) and simply love it. It is amazing how much bottom end comes out of those little stats. They can beat MANY full size cans and once the amp is modded, the top end is all there and the soundstage is great. A special thanks to AudioCat for all his R&D work on the SR-001 system!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the feedback. Not many brands can claim having such a nice entry-level product
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 16, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #12,140 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody compared the SR-202 to the SR-404LE? The SR-202 was found by many to be better than the SR-303 and SR-404, but this is also said of the SR-404LE.

How's the midrange of the SR-404LE, for example?

I have not compared the 404LE to any of the other models you mention but I love them and are a great compliment to my O2 Mk2 which I really love. The 404LE is very open and neutral compared to the O2 which is more laid back. The 404LE also has a bit more slam in the bass. The O2 is still my favorite but on a pristine recording or electronica, I tend to prefer the 404LE.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #12,141 of 24,807
Quote:

That is correct and I think they are more similar than different. They are slightly dark, have a little bit of roll off on top and when properly seated in you ears, they have fantastic bottom end.

I bought an SR-001 Mk2 system to hotrod and travel with (finished and burning in now) and simply love it. It is amazing how much bottom end comes out of those little stats. They can beat MANY full size cans and once the amp is modded, the top end is all there and the soundstage is great. A special thanks to AudioCat for all his R&D work on the SR-001 system!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

You forgot to mention that you also listened to my SR-003, because to me the SR-003 on your 717 sound much closer to an O2 than the SR-001.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #12,142 of 24,807
Quote:

I have not compared the 404LE to any of the other models you mention but I love them and are a great compliment to my O2 Mk2 which I really love. The 404LE is very open and neutral compared to the O2 which is more laid back. The 404LE also has a bit more slam in the bass. The O2 is still my favorite but on a pristine recording or electronica, I tend to prefer the 404LE.

After I finish paying for my WES I'll have to look to replace the SR-404LE that I sold you.
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #12,143 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You forgot to mention that you also listened to my SR-003, because to me the SR-003 on your 717 sound much closer to an O2 than the SR-001.

Very true...we will have to work on a portable micro-sized 717.
biggrin.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:01 AM Post #12,144 of 24,807
While reading posts on the "baby stax", I realized that I hadn't listened to mine in a long time, even tho the lod i bought made it sound even better.

The reason was that i was on the go a lot and listened to music for short periods during the day with it and it was easier to use my Shure 420. With no isolation in the stax phones, there was outside noise entering the equation and there was all that extra gear to carry. Isnt worth it to me in that compromised situation. And at home I listen to my big stax stuff.

Well I decided to listen to the 001s last night, and I listened to some of the same music from my ipod that I listen to with the Shures. Not surprisingly the baby stax sounded better in almost all respects.

However, I found myself missing some of the high end of the range that the Shures extracted, some percussion instruments as well as some other instruments (brass groups) sounded "real" on the Shures and had "space" around them, and this lustre and space had receded when I listened to the OO1s. And I missed it. As expected, however,the vocals trumphed and the midrange and the overall sense of space.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #12,145 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by dickbianchi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However, I found myself missing some of the high end of the range that the Shures extracted, some percussion instruments as well as some other instruments (brass groups) sounded "real" on the Shures and had "space" around them, and this lustre and space had receded when I listened to the OO1s. And I missed it. As expected, however,the vocals trumphed and the midrange and the overall sense of space.

dickbianchi, I agree with Dinan that you could find modding (or hotrodding) the SR-001 amp could make more than the difference for you. As HeadphoneAddict and Dinan are implying, if you give the SR-001 the right amplification, even scaling up (with an adapter so it's like an SR-003) to a full sized amp will reveal just how much they're capable of.

Each of the amp mods make a positive improvement, whether you want it to remain not too power hungry - the FatCat mod - or go for the full SuperFatCat mod (I'm lucky enough to have both). Reference - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sta...thread-277049/

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #12,146 of 24,807
Also don't forget burn-in on the 001 system! I put on 300 hours before I modded it and that was a huge difference. I am now on my way to 200 hours (I am at about 115 now) with the SFC+ mod and it is really opening up as those massive caps need burn-in.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #12,148 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The sound signature of the SR001/003 may resemble the 007 Mk1 but the 007A(Mk2) has a more pronounced treble peak, I would guess mid-treble.

Sounds like a good transition phone for Grado users to move to STAX in increments.
icon10.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #12,149 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-202 was found by many to be better than the SR-303 and SR-404, but this is also said of the SR-404LE.

Spritzer is the only person to my knowledge who has made this claim for the SR-202. If there are others I should like to read the comments that they have made to which you refer.

Personally I heard bugger all between the SR-202 and the Lambda Pro, but it was at a meet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back