The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 24, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #11,731 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If all of the articulate and wonderful Stax thread residents could pop out of the safety of this zone and out into the badlands of head-fi nonsense for a minute, Stax needs a win against the glassy-eyed masses in the Sennheiser camp.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...2/index84.html

Tempted to vote Sennheiser just because the HD600 and HD800 can sing with a $1200 Woo or a $2500 ZDT, while the SR-007 need more than a $2500 GES (plus the Senn HE60 rock on the GES). At low to moderate the volumes the SR-007 are more refined albeit a little dark, although sometimes I prefer dark to being tilted up in the highs. In the end I decided to abstain.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #11,732 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The gear hounds will move onto other things. They have done so in the past and will do so again. I've seen so many FOTM here I can't count them any more so if you think your investment was worth it that's great but others will get burned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the reasons I'm not posting much in the Stax thread is because I now have what I like (SR-X, 003) and am content to wait for a good priced SRD-7 to complete it to where I want to be. I do think there is a bit of a feeding frenzy going on and someday there's going to be quite a bit of indigestion to deal with but so long as people understand what they are getting and are happy with current pricings that's fine.

I'm sure many are paying well over the odds through some sense of desperation as inflated prices seem the norm. I was having the same issues with the current K1000 love-fest. Luckily I managed to score mine at well below Head-fi prices. I might be daft but I'm not crazy. One day the Stax mania will subside and prices will return to more sane levels... and then I pounce. heheh

The quotations are from 2007.
I have been reading this thread. Quite interesting. Learned a lot. Also learned prices have not plunged as predicted (at least not yet). This old gear keeps getting more expensive!
frown.gif

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #11,733 of 24,807
I was looking at bluetin for stax pads for my sr-lambda. I know the sr-202 model will fit the original sr-lambda. but is there another model that is superior and will still fit? is the 303 better than the 202? will the 404 fit? is it worth the bother, or should I just get new 202's for my lambdas? I've not found anyone comparing different pads really. couldnt find it at least.

Aug 24, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #11,734 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quotations are from 2007.
I have been reading this thread. Quite interesting. Learned a lot. Also learned prices have not plunged as predicted (at least not yet). This old gear keeps getting more expensive!
frown.gif

Actually I think I see a decline for some Stax items, probably reflecting the bad economy. I have been trying to sell some gear over the last few weeks and aside from my own listings it looks like a lot of Stax items are going slowly and coming down. I am, for example seeing many SRM1Mk 2 amps going for about $300.00 or less when $400.00 and up was typical a year ago.

I did sell my Koss 950, plus Stax adapter, but am still working on selling an SRM-3 plus Lambda Nova Classic. (PM me if interested.)

Aug 24, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #11,735 of 24,807
Quote:

I have a question. I remember reading somewhere (Spritzer?) that there is a new or modified version of the SR-007 coming up by the end of the year. Anybody has any more information?

I haven't heard anything...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at bluetin for stax pads for my sr-lambda. I know the sr-202 model will fit the original sr-lambda. but is there another model that is superior and will still fit? is the 303 better than the 202? will the 404 fit? is it worth the bother, or should I just get new 202's for my lambdas? I've not found anyone comparing different pads really. couldnt find it at least.

All the Lambda pads are the same size. The SR-202 are vinyl while the 303/404 use a material that breaths a bit and is more comfortable. Then there are the leather 404LE pads but they are rather expensive at 8k+ Yen.

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #11,736 of 24,807
Quote:

I have a question. I remember reading somewhere (Spritzer?) that there is a new or modified version of the SR-007 coming up by the end of the year. Anybody has any more information?

ıt can be sr-007 limited like sr-404
beyersmile.png

Aug 24, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #11,737 of 24,807
Thank You Ed. You have been around long enough to know if prices have changed. I guess nowadays is better to be the buyer than the seller then.
Thank You Spritzer for correcting my misinformation.
I will wait to buy the SR-007 by Christmas then. Hopefully I will find an Mk1 then.

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #11,738 of 24,807
Can anyone here tell me approximately where an srd-7(reg or mkII) falls into place sound quality wise(it would be driven by the F1) with the stax amps please?

I have been wanting to listen to a stax setup but I don't have the money for one of the top end amps. Would one of the later srd's do well or will it just be a waste of time?

I have read that the top end amps drive the omega's a bit better. How much of a difference is there and would it be good enough for the other(lesser than omega) headphones?

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #11,739 of 24,807
Dudes, really. Chime in on the headphone elimination. I want to have a chance to be cheap and smug at Stax winning. It's very close but gradaully bad for Stax, so even just Birgir debasing himself for a crappy thread might turn the voting tide.

Viv Le Stax!

Aug 25, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #11,741 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tempted to vote Sennheiser just because the HD600 and HD800 can sing with a $1200 Woo or a $2500 ZDT, while the SR-007 need more than a $2500 GES (plus the Senn HE60 rock on the GES). At low to moderate the volumes the SR-007 are more refined albeit a little dark, although sometimes I prefer dark to being tilted up in the highs. In the end I decided to abstain.

Traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back