The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #11,461 of 24,807
I received my SRD-7 MKII today and I am very pleased with it. Nothing fancy, I connected it to my Yamaha amplifier and it sounds pretty good. Eventually I am not sure what to get, either a Stax, Woo or KGSS. or perhaps a non electrostatic amp to go with the SRD-7.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #11,463 of 24,807
Interesting. Eventually I am sure I will get the Omegas, but not yet.
The Woo WES looks very nice! I missed it at CanJam. Well, 5 more expensive years of putting my children trough college! Not small feat which diverts funds that otherwise could go to headphone amplifiers! Although I have the 404's, I am sure I won't stop there.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:14 AM Post #11,466 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by padam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is designed for the Lambda Pro (not for the 404) and even with that it has its negative effects to a sound in exchange of the soundstage increase, I would skip it.

Thanks for your input.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #11,468 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cosmopragma, I do appreciate the 4070's sound signature, too. They have excellent extension at both ends of the spectrum, they are beautifully balanced and almost completely lack the Lambda's upper mids/lower highs peak. Mids are somewhat more forward than with the Omega 2s (I and II), but that is exactly what makes me prefer them for listening to female jazz singers. While it's amazing how open and free a closed (electrostatic) phone can sound, I perceive their soundstaging and imaging to be one of their relative weaknesses. They seem to be lacking somewhat regarding the third dimension, that is depth. The fit issues can be improved significantly by bending the arcs. However, there's definitely no cure for the weight. And as not only their acoustic but also their thermal isolation is great, I prefer listening to them in other seasons than summer.
wink.gif

The x-factor for the 4070 now are the new thick leather earpads for the SR-404LE. The thicker material should isolate better and may bring out the bass a bit. I know Stax is dealing with some supply issues now but the pads will be available for sale later on.

Jul 14, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #11,469 of 24,807
Hey guys, anyone knows if the Stax 717 can be set to run at 240v instead of 220v (currently on jumper 3 & 5). My country's AC is 230v, is it true that by setting it at 240v on the 717, it'll run cooler than setting it at 220v?

The 717 recently begin to start shutting down after 1-2 hours due to overheating. Tried cleaning the dust from it but the problem is still there. Could it be a loose connection somewhere or something?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #11,470 of 24,807
There is a 240v setting on the 717 (and every other Stax gear) and it will run cooler. You need to take off the back of the unit and rearrange the metal fuses which set the voltage. For 220v there should be a fuse in spot 3 and 5 but convert it to 240v you need to move the one in the nr.3 spot over to nr.2. The numbers are printed underneath the fuses.

All the necessary caveats apply so you may get shocked, the amp catch fire etc. but I've used this on many Stax amps and it works.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #11,471 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a 240v setting on the 717 (and every other Stax gear) and it will run cooler. You need to take off the back of the unit and rearrange the metal fuses which set the voltage. For 220v there should be a fuse in spot 3 and 5 but convert it to 240v you need to move the one in the nr.3 spot over to nr.2. The numbers are printed underneath the fuses.

All the necessary caveats apply so you may get shocked, the amp catch fire etc. but I've used this on many Stax amps and it works.

I did the settings as you suggested and did not previously have problems of shutting down even on long extended hours of listening even in our hot climate. Please be vey careful when you poke you hands into the amp even when it is off. The balance charge can be lethal - 240v!!!

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:12 PM Post #11,472 of 24,807
There are close to 400v sitting on those capacitors so do indeed be careful.

One bit of news for the Stax fans. I've almost finished drawing up a SRD-7 Pro bias supply PCB which should fit every SRD-7 unit and equip it for Pro bias. While this is for my own use I may sell off some of the excess boards if there is interest.

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #11,473 of 24,807
Quote:

There are close to 400v sitting on those capacitors so do indeed be careful.

One bit of news for the Stax fans. I've almost finished drawing up a SRD-7 Pro bias supply PCB which should fit every SRD-7 unit and equip it for Pro bias. While this is for my own use I may sell off some of the excess boards if there is interest.

Good Job! I'd always be up for one of those PCB when you decide if you have extras to sell. Cheers!

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #11,474 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks spritzer
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, there's a metal jumper (that looks like fuse) on Spot 3 (purple) and 5 now. So for 240v it should be Spot 2 (Green) and Spot 5 (brown)?

Will try it out tomorrow morning, just unplugged the amp from the mains so that the caps can ease off a little before I attempt anything

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #11,475 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by lyricalmoments /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks spritzer
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, there's a metal jumper (that looks like fuse) on Spot 3 (purple) and 5 now. So for 240v it should be Spot 2 (Green) and Spot 5 (brown)?

Will try it out tomorrow morning, just unplugged the amp from the mains so that the caps can ease off a little before I attempt anything

240 is indeed 2 and 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back