The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #11,251 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's funny to me is that my cheap, second-hand Stax, LNS and SR-5NB cost less than any of my dynamic cans, by a quite a margin, but I like listening with them far more. The amp that makes me enjoy them so much, on the other hand, is not cheap!
wink.gif

More than your HD800?
smile.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #11,252 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by T9R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel odd clicking the "High-end Audio Forum" link after spending only $300, but I received a 2050 Basic system from fellow head-fier kinsale over the weekend.

He said they felt boring to him. Well, he must live a much more interesting life than I do because the last thing I feel when I put these on is bored
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations! The set might be Basic to Stax but not certainly Basic to headphones in general.
smily_headphones1.gif
However, I can see what kinsale means by boring: the 202s don't highlight the treble at all, if not recessed. I myself feel that the lack of emphasis on the treble makes the sound bit uninvolving. It's not the whole story to it but a certain truth lies there IMO. YMMV! I felt at times these being boring but in the end it was the numb music causing it. :wink:

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #11,254 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by T9R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I feel odd clicking the "High-end Audio Forum" link after spending only $300, but I received a 2050 Basic system from fellow head-fier kinsale over the weekend.

He said they felt boring to him. Well, he must live a much more interesting life than I do because the last thing I feel when I put these on is bored
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations!
lambda.gif

The 2050 may be the entry level Stax, and not all that regarded among some Stax'en which have heard ex. the O2. But be aware that they stand up very well against most moving coil headphones.

Simply enjoy!

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #11,255 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by condor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They say about the mafia, that once you're in, you're in for life.

I'm gonna fight against it with real weaponry now. .) The K1000 versus SR202... there's no way the Stax could win, is there?
redface.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #11,256 of 24,807
^ Imo not!
But then again it depends on the amplifiers used and musical taste/preferences.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #11,257 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Chew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess it is preference.
happy_face1.gif

About 2 months ago, I sold my O2mk1 and my SRM717 and thought that I would be as happy with my balanced B22 driving my HD600. Boy, I was wrong! I missed it so much that a couple of weeks ago I bought back another O2mk1 and am now looking for an amp to drive it. When a friend of mine found out that I was looking for the O2mk1 he said to me that once you have tasted electrostatics, it would be easy to miss them. Thinking back made me realise that I had made the wrong move. Ha! But preferring the sound of the electrostatics may be just me and a matter of preference.

There's a basic what I call "graininess" to even the best dynamic set-up, which when you are used to the clarity of most stats, makes the dynamic sets unappealing even if they do some other things better.

The best dynamic I have heard was Headroom's HD800 balanced set-up at the recent Canjam. It sounded a whole lot like the BHSE 007 set-up except for the graininess. It was still pretty expensive, I think the amp and phones were at least $3K, which gets you a top Stax amp and 007 from Japan. (but not a BHSE)

Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm gonna fight against it with real weaponry now. .) The K1000 versus SR202... there's no way the Stax could win, is there?
redface.gif

I heard a few K1000's at Canjam. Some were not at all impressive. Mikeymad's, set up was the best I heard, but I don't recall his amp. It was not as good as his ES1/007 set-up by a fair margin. But it was still a neat phone and I can see why some people like it. It's fun to be able to adjust the driver positions of the K1000.

In some respects it is like the Stax Sigma, except that the Sigma has an enclosure around the ear admittedly a very open one and a fixed driver position. But it is in the same general position as the K1000 when it is set fully open.

The basic K1000 concept of an open driver with adjustable positions does work and I wish someone could try to drop a set of Sigma/Lambda/007 drivers into a headband like this.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #11,259 of 24,807
I just wanted to let you guys know that Afrikane's ES-1 has arrived safe and sound. I've opened it up and there is a lot of work ahead of me to say the least. I'm reluctant to fire it up due to the abundance of downright scary issues I have with the build.
confused_face.gif
This will be a long project but it will all be documented.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #11,260 of 24,807
Quote:

What's funny to me is that my cheap, second-hand Stax, LNS and SR-5NB cost less than any of my dynamic cans, by a quite a margin, but I like listening with them far more. The amp that makes me enjoy them so much, on the other hand, is not cheap!
wink.gif

I love my LNS also. I think it has the best frequency balance of any headphone I've used, except vocals are a tad recessed on my setup. Piano and cello sound great with it. Also, I know if I treat my LNS well, it'll last another 20 years easily
smily_headphones1.gif

I've moved from the SRD-7 to an SRM-1/MK-2 Pro. In return, I got more detail but lost some bass impact and dynamics.

Jun 23, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #11,261 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to let you guys know that Afrikane's ES-1 has arrived safe and sound. I've opened it up and there is a lot of work ahead of me to say the least. I'm reluctant to fire it up due to the abundance of downright scary issues I have with the build.
confused_face.gif
This will be a long project but it will all be documented.

Good luck, even if I can't benefit from this (EE noob), I highly regard what you do - coming from software this EE thing reminds me so much of open source, it's nice.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #11,263 of 24,807
Quote:

wink.gif

I've posted in this thread that my SR-5NB/SRM-1 Mk2 Pro were on the level of my WA6 with RS-1. Very good value for the money.

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #11,264 of 24,807
Despite having a srm717/sr007 set up I keep going back to my SRD7 mk2 set for my LambdaPros and Sigma nl bias for lots of classic rock music. The LP's upper bite is attentuated by the transformer and the Dared clone brings out that terrific bass and lower mids...my ears anyway.
tempted someday to try my hand in putting those 303 drivers into the Sigma!

Jun 23, 2009 at 11:13 PM Post #11,265 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Despite having a srm717/sr007 set up I keep going back to my SRD7 mk2 set for my LambdaPros and Sigma nl bias for lots of classic rock music. The LP's upper bite is attentuated by the transformer and the Dared clone brings out that terrific bass and lower mids...my ears anyway.
tempted someday to try my hand in putting those 303 drivers into the Sigma!

Craig said he'd be shipping our Zana Deux "T" amps by the end of the month. Have you heard anything from him yet? I look forward to trying it out with my SRD-7 Mk2 and Stax.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back