The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #10,366 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bralk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Tom

I listen at work. I'm in front of a computer for almost 8 hours straight. This is when I get a chance to listen to music. So if the mystery is solved that I listen to 320 kpbs mp3, am I wasting my time trying to improve my system? I'd love to have a high end cd player with a high end DAC but that's not going to happen.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #10,368 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kinsale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,
I'm enjoying my SR-X Mk3. However I feel they are not quite what I'm looking for. I'd like a little wider soundstage. I also feel that some instruments get masked when more than a couple are playing at the same time. They are also quite tiresome to wear for a long time. I think I might like Stax in general. I like the realism and how fast they are. Any ideas on what I can move up to?
My line up is Itunes>Hot Audio USB DAC> Qinpu Q2

The SRX3 is an interesting phone they sound quite smooth and neutral over a wide range of frequencies. They are a bit deficient in bass and somewhat lacking in tonal detail. I would have thought that a slight bass boost might make them more acceptable. Often adding bass seems to enhance the soundstage. Since you are using the transformer, I am assuming there are some tone controls there too.

For full time listening they can be a bit fatiguing and they do press on the ears.

Sticking with low bias phones, the original Lambda could be a good choice as well as a low bias Sigma. Every time I change from SRX3 to Sigma low, I am impressed by the listenability of the Sigma. It has a more overall bass than either the SRX3 or the Lambda. The Lambda series will give more really deep bass but otherwise is not bassy sounding.

The Sigma is the big boxy set of phones. Aside from its bulk it is very comfortable to wear because nothing presses on the ears and it is cool in hot weather. Its main claim to fame though is its more realistic sound presentation, the drivers (same as the Lambdas) are mounted ahead of the ears firing backwards, in an attempt to give a soundfield more like sound sources in front of you. Virtually every other headphone out there fires sound directly into the ear-drum which is not the way most concert sound will reach your ear. For me they give a more open, less claustrophobic sound field than regular phones and sometime even make me think I am listening to external sounds, or that I have left my speakers on. They could be good with a transformer set-up because you can poibably get some good dynamics out of them, certainly better than with the smaller Stax headphone amps.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #10,369 of 24,807
Quote:

I listen at work. I'm in front of a computer for almost 8 hours straight. This is when I get a chance to listen to music. So if the mystery is solved that I listen to 320 kpbs mp3, am I wasting my time trying to improve my system? I'd love to have a high end cd player with a high end DAC but that's not going to happen.

I'll be heretical and say that, for me, 320kbps would be fine.

I've never passed an ABX test between 128 kbps and lossless. I do listen to lossless on my computer because I want it for an archive.

Rip some of your tracks to lossless and abx them to see if you can hear the difference. If you can't, that's not your problem.

I doubt if your description of masking is caused by the bit rate. Did you not hear the masking with dynamic headphones with the same DAC and amp?

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #10,370 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bralk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was joking a bit - but have you tried playing AIFF or lossless instead of bit reduced files ?

I also use iTunes as my main playback source, but have settled on AIFF.

cheers

Tom

No offense taken Tom
smily_headphones1.gif
I will certainly try ripping some Cds in AIFF and see if it helps. Thanks!

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #10,371 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be heretical and say that, for me, 320kbps would be fine.

I've never passed an ABX test between 128 kbps and lossless. I do listen to lossless on my computer because I want it for an archive.

Rip some of your tracks to lossless and abx them to see if you can hear the difference. If you can't, that's not your problem.

I doubt if your description of masking is caused by the bit rate. Did you not hear the masking with dynamic headphones with the same DAC and amp?

Yes I did hear the masking before. I guess what has happened is that my standards have suddenly risen a lot from listening to the Stax. I do enjoy them but I think it has shown me clearly how good it could possibly be. Does that make sense? I guess its like driving a fast car. The speed wears off after a while and you wish it could corner better or had comfier seats.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #10,372 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SRX3 is an interesting phone they sound quite smooth and neutral over a wide range of frequencies. They are a bit deficient in bass and somewhat lacking in tonal detail. I would have thought that a slight bass boost might make them more acceptable. Often adding bass seems to enhance the soundstage. Since you are using the transformer, I am assuming there are some tone controls there too.

For full time listening they can be a bit fatiguing and they do press on the ears.

Sticking with low bias phones, the original Lambda could be a good choice as well as a low bias Sigma. Every time I change from SRX3 to Sigma low, I am impressed by the listenability of the Sigma. It has a more overall bass than either the SRX3 or the Lambda. The Lambda series will give more really deep bass but otherwise is not bassy sounding.

The Sigma is the big boxy set of phones. Aside from its bulk it is very comfortable to wear because nothing presses on the ears and it is cool in hot weather. Its main claim to fame though is its more realistic sound presentation, the drivers (same as the Lambdas) are mounted ahead of the ears firing backwards, in an attempt to give a soundfield more like sound sources in front of you. Virtually every other headphone out there fires sound directly into the ear-drum which is not the way most concert sound will reach your ear. For me they give a more open, less claustrophobic sound field than regular phones and sometime even make me think I am listening to external sounds, or that I have left my speakers on. They could be good with a transformer set-up because you can poibably get some good dynamics out of them, certainly better than with the smaller Stax headphone amps.

I'll certainly try and pick up a pair of Sigmas. They look really interesting. I like how you say the drivers fire from in front instead of into the eardrum. I've always found headphones a little annoying because of that. I liked a crossfeed feature on an amp I had once for that reason.

Mar 27, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #10,373 of 24,807
Quote:

I'll certainly try and pick up a pair of Sigmas. They look really interesting. I like how you say the drivers fire from in front instead of into the eardrum. I've always found headphones a little annoying because of that. I liked a crossfeed feature on an amp I had once for that reason.

Bear in mind they are much harder to drive than Lambdas, it is probably cheaper to get an SRD-7 adapter and a speaker amp for them. And believe me, source matters, especially for electrostatics. Get the best DAC you can find within the budget you define for yourself. Even the used interconnect cable can matter.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #10,374 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of sound I've never quite got the link between the mini Stax and the O2's as they don't sound similar to my ears and even less so with the SR-Omega.

what I meant was the 001's construction style is more similar to the Omega, with modular components (such as the diaphragm ring), and cable connects directly to the component, no soldering/wiring.

Mar 28, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #10,376 of 24,807
Doug got the last of my used Sigma pads unfortunately. I do have some new ones that I can sell you at less then what AC2 are asking for them...

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what I meant was the 001's construction style is more similar to the Omega, with modular components (such as the diaphragm ring), and cable connects directly to the component, no soldering/wiring.

All Stax headphones have the diaphragm mounted to a ring of some sorts. The SR-007 and SR-001/003 do share the use of massive air damping. In fact there are only about 1/5th of the stators on the Sr-001/003 perforated.

Mar 28, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #10,379 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doug got the last of my used Sigma pads unfortunately. I do have some new ones that I can sell you at less then what AC2 are asking for them...

Thanks dude i'll pm you, but I was kinda hoping to go totally ghetto even on costs thereby used pads seemed a good idea hehe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ortho heads are going to start hustling the Stax thread for pads.
biggrin.gif

whistling.gif

Mar 28, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #10,380 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by indikator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi spritzer, I got srm-1/mk2 which don't have voltage selector and it reads 100V only, can you explain your post in here once more
The Stax thread (New) - Page 390 - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio
the pics already down
frown.gif

The pic is back up now but I'll also include it here:
voltageselector.jpg

When you open up your unit you'll notice that the wiring isn't as pictured but the picture is how it would look if there was a voltage selector. What I do is move the wires to this configuration and then bridge them to the right order. You can also just leave them as is, just follow the guide and join the wires.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks dude i'll pm you, but I was kinda hoping to go totally ghetto even on costs thereby used pads seemed a good idea hehe.

I'll drop you a PM to see if we can't work something out...
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back