The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #9,992 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Michgelsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer and ericj, you both seem to know a lot about this topic. Can any you provide an explanation for this, concerning the HE60? I'm a bit frightened by the possibility of inducing the imbalance yourself.

Wasn't there some apparent imbalance in HE60's when used with Stax amps that was due to the lack of additional resistance on the bias supply? iirc there's a 5 megohm resistor needed. Or maybe that was the HE90. I don't spend a lot of time worrying about headphones I'll never, ever try to purchase. (Too expensive).

Sometimes capacitance builds up in a regular electrostatic headphone, and you can drain it off by shorting the pins on the connector together. Obviously while they're not plugged into anything.

Experience varies. Some people have 'stats that benefit from being drained off from time to time. Some people have the exact same model 'stats and find that they benefit from being plugged into the bias supply for a long time.

The best advice for you, though, is not to drive your HE60 to crazy volume levels. Or any other electrostat or electret.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #9,993 of 24,807
It was the original HE90 (and some of the first units from the 2005 run) which had these issues but it wasn't just the ballast resistor but also the higher bias which the HE90 didn't like from a Stax amp. Mine always ran fine off 580v though.

Same can be said about my He60's but I did add a resistor to the plug when I recabled, just in case.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #9,994 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It was the original HE90 (and some of the first units from the 2005 run) which had these issues but it wasn't just the ballast resistor but also the higher bias which the HE90 didn't like from a Stax amp. Mine always ran fine off 580v though.

Same can be said about my He60's but I did add a resistor to the plug when I recabled, just in case.

I wonder if "Rudistor" added a resistor when he re-terminated the HE60 I bought from Kees for Stax amps... I always discharge the pins when I am done using them.

Feb 19, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #9,996 of 24,807
So I just got my Stax. And ZOMG. Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Beethoven's Last Night" on these things? ...transcendent.
lambda.gif

But I figured I'd poke around here and see if I can't do a little better on the stuff leading into them. An audio geek's upgrades are never done, eh? So here's what's hooked up to what:

E-MU 0404 USB --> Onkyo TX-SR604 --> SRD-7/MkII --> SR-303

I also have a Little Dot Mk IV for preamp duty, but it's waiting on cables (and keeps getting swiped for use as a headphone amp).

Q/A: Would I benefit significantly from getting a different power/integrated amp? If so...what? Some of the NAD integrateds look like a good option, and have source selection to boot. There are also small stereo jobs like the Firestone Big Joe or the TweakCity Gizmo, but maybe those aren't quite powerful enough (I was told I should have about 15W, but I don't know how "about" that is).

It's almost scary to think that it could actually still get better.
eek.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #9,998 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like a babe in the woods.
biggrin.gif

Yeah...another step or two and "budget" is not going to be a consideration...

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #10,000 of 24,807
Guys and girls, a friend of mine is pondering selling off his unused Stax gear, which consists of a variety of vintage and fairly new gear, so I'm considering nabbing some of it, depending how things go with the HD-800s.

My current rig is the SR5NB Gold + Fitz re-boxed portable Stax amp, for which I've ordered a better PSU than the wallwart it came with. The possibilities I'm entertaining are:

SRM1/MKII for the Golds.
T1S for the Golds + future Stax.
T1S for the Golds + 404s.
T1S + 4070s or O2s (if he'll sell them) + risk of divorce if my wife found out the cost.
wink.gif

I liked the 4040II set when I first heard it, of course due to the $6k Esoteric CD player that was the source, but I'm wondering if my softer sounding Northstar (and future very likely softer sounding DAC) will be a good match with a tube amp and either the Golds or Lambdas. The T1S is hard to pass up as it has the most options -- Normal or Pro, balanced or unbalanced input. I gather though that O2s are nicest with solid state and Lambdas with tubes.

What would you do in my shoes?

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #10,003 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might also consider the Stax 4070 if you really do need the isolation. I haven't heard it, but it's pretty highly regarded.

Thanks, I've read mixed things about them. A guy in Japan said the sound goes off at a certain volume, so one cannot really rock out to them. Audiod suggested using them with an equalizer to make em more musical. Also, I recall the soundstage isn't supposed to be the greatest, compared to some of the best closed phones in that regard. Hopefully I'll have a chance to hear them soon though at a meet.
PS, I was just wondering why I haven't seen you in the Stax thread recently, figured you were one of the many Head-fi'ers who got a life, remember reading a lot of your posts while doing research. Antonyfirst (who's woodied CD3000s I recently purchased) speaks highly of you.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #10,004 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heavy curtains should do the trick. I used them in my old Brooklyn apt and got rig of most of the noise.

Faust, may I ask when you say heavy curtains, do you mean doubling them up with 2 sets, or one good set does the trick for you? I could invest in a heavier rod, but the one I bought should be fine for at least one heavy pair. Do you live off a busy avenue? I know a lot of Brooklyn apts are a lot quieter with the traffic drone, but then you get the intermittent noisy A-holes. While curtain shopping on line, is there any type, keyword, or fabric I should be looking for?
Guess I'll see you at the March 21 New York City Head-fi meet? I'm really hoping Spritzer makes it down there. I want to show him my arc-bending on the 007, as I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
o2smile.gif
Seriously, someone should get him a ticket for these events.

Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I assume you can't rebuild the window with double-pane glass. Curtains may help somewhat but you really need mass to block sound. I have worked in soundproof rooms that had 1 ft thick concrete walls mounted on springs inside another 1 foot concrete room.

If it's not feasible to brick up the window, check the frame for air leaks. A good bit of sound may be coming through cracks which could be stopped with sealant.

Thanks ed, I already have double-paned windows, but it's just a standard thickness glass, so not great. When not listening to music, it's not really NOISY, you don't really notice it until you either listen to music like classical or other quiet music. I doubt theres much leakage since the windows are a modern metal framed type. As a renter, I don't think I could get away with defacing the Meis VanderRow type frames with calk anyway. Looks like I'll have to settle for curtains first.

Feb 20, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #10,005 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gather though that O2s are nicest with solid state and Lambdas with tubes.

what gave you that impression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back