The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #9,931 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having spent 6 years treating bipolar children in my medical office, I can completely understand, especially dealing with depression myself and ADHD with PDD in my son. If you get fickle sometimes over your gear, it doesn't even have to be due to Bipolar Disorder!

Also, you have to take everyone's opinions here with a grain of salt, and I haven't met (or read) anyone on head-fi that is correct 100% of the time. Even with a Buffallo DAC feeding a KGBH, the O2 Mk1 don't do everything perfectly, and there are some things we liked more with other stats (Mk2, Jade, Koss, HE60, Smegma Pro) and some things we liked more with the O2 Mk1. The O2 Mk1 cannot wipe the floor with a K1000, and the SRD-7 pro with a clean amp can drive an O2 very decently, so Krmathis is right in that regard.
tongue.gif

Thanks Larry

I have a student, same age as my son, with ADHD and we are very close friends. I dont know what PDD is.
And of course the mysterious Smeggy Pro has come up again.
confused_face(1).gif

Anyway most of the time I am happy with Omicron (Alizee as you very well remember)
normal_smile .gif

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #9,933 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by billyearle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I basically am feeling the same way, but cannot bring myself to use such strong language about the O2s
smile.gif
, and I still need some time to "mind burn-in" with them. So Kintsaki, have you heard em with the Blue Hawaii?

Well now that Kintsaki has done a Mea Culpa I'm feeling a little alone in the cold for showing my support
eek.gif
. I did qualify by saying "basically". I never felt O2 to have an etch, or be mickey mouse. I have issues I'm working out with them, ergomics etc, but I sure wouldn't have ordered a BHSE if I didn't have faith in their abilities
smile.gif
. I feel the 3 Staxes I've owned over the last 20 years to be my 1st, 2nd and 3rd Wives. I was completely faithful to the first 2, never heard a dynamic to give them anything to worry about. It's only now that I'm at a point of needing some Dynamic mistresses for a little variety
evil_smiley.gif

I now hope "The Great Stax Mafia Purges of Feb. '09" will pass over me
wink.gif
My human wife is calling, must go.

Feb 16, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #9,934 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by kintsaki /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Larry

I have a student, same age as my son, with ADHD and we are very close friends. I dont know what PDD is.
And of course the mysterious Smeggy Pro has come up again.
confused_face(1).gif

Anyway most of the time I am happy with Omicron (Alizee as you very well remember)
normal_smile .gif

The SR-003 (Baby O2) is very nice, and out of even an SRM-1 Mk2 Pro it wipes up the floor with most dynamics.

The Smegma Pro is a pro bias headphone that costs less than an O2 or ESP950 and doesn't have the etch or over-brightness of the Lambda series. My cost was $350 for Gamma Pro, $130 ear pads, $20 broken AKG K240M, and $60 shipping both ways, and Smeggy generously donated 6 months of his time to build them for free because he felt sorry for me without any K1000. In the long run, they compete most with the ESP950, while the Stock Gamma Pro were not even as good as a normal bias Lambda.

Feb 16, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #9,936 of 24,807
what other headphones use the same ribbon cable as the normal bial sr-lambda? are there any? spritzer had said the 202 cable is the same with a pro bias plug, but do any of the other vintage cans use it? sr5nb? sigma? If maybe I can find someones broken cans, I can get a cable. still waiting on responses on acquiring a 202 cable. :frowning2:

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #9,938 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-Sigma cable is nearly identical to the Lambda cable.

hmmmm, how much should I expect to pay for a broken sigma with a good cable? If thats even something I can remotely find.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #9,939 of 24,807
I'm sorry to bust in here like this with a totally random question, but here are all the people that know alot of the stax line and who's ears I trust
tongue.gif
. So basicly, Stax SR-Lambda Pro vs SR303/404. It seems my 404 got lost in postal service, and moronic me, I lost my postal receipt with its number, so I have no grounds for a claim whatsoever
frown.gif
. Now I searched the FS for some 'deals' that could ease my financial lost, so I was wondering how the Lambda Pro stack up to the SR-404?

Cheers.

(btw I now use a SR-202 with the SRM-323A. Its sound is so much closer to the 404 than I expected, and it looks way way better)

Feb 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #9,942 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to bust in here like this with a totally random question, but here are all the people that know alot of the stax line and who's ears I trust
tongue.gif
. So basicly, Stax SR-Lambda Pro vs SR303/404. It seems my 404 got lost in postal service, and moronic me, I lost my postal receipt with its number, so I have no grounds for a claim whatsoever
frown.gif
. Now I searched the FS for some 'deals' that could ease my financial lost, so I was wondering how the Lambda Pro stack up to the SR-404?

Cheers.

(btw I now use a SR-202 with the SRM-323A. Its sound is so much closer to the 404 than I expected, and it looks way way better)

What if you looked up the transaction ID on your credit card, and took that to the post office to have them look up the transaction?

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #9,943 of 24,807
Headphone addict, or whoever,

I have heard you mention the travagans red on a few occasions now. I am going to put together a stand alone electrostatic rig because I have had it with my existing tempermental amp. what would you say is a better performer, the travagans red, or the nuforce icon? I would be running the sr-lambda and srd-7sb combo. I've done my best to search through your threads on the nuforce already, but I see you mentioned the travagans in your recent meet thread as well.

Feb 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #9,944 of 24,807
the mysterious Smeggy Pro...

I do have a pair of Gamma Pros that I dislike (compared to 404 or LNS), is it the creeky, horrible housing that gives them their sound signature?

Any chance of guiding me through the steps in your project Smeggy ... I gather from what I've read so far that it's an AKG 240(s) housing + Omega pads + some custom exotic tree that's only available in lower Mongolia during a lunar eclipse?

Feb 16, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #9,945 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone addict, or whoever,

I have heard you mention the travagans red on a few occasions now. I am going to put together a stand alone electrostatic rig because I have had it with my existing tempermental amp. what would you say is a better performer, the travagans red, or the nuforce icon? I would be running the sr-lambda and srd-7sb combo. I've done my best to search through your threads on the nuforce already, but I see you mentioned the travagans in your recent meet thread as well.

The Nuforce has a tad more bass and mids than the Travagans with AD743 opamps while the Travagans Red is a little brighter.

So I like to pair the Nuforce up more with the SR-Lambda, SR-003 and HE60, while the Red is a little better balanced sounding with the O2 Mk2 and ESP950. I can switch the Red to OPA627 opamps and tone down the highs a tad for the Lambda and HE60.

However, the O2 like the extra power of the Nuforce just a little more, although I find the O2 Mk1 are better with the Nuforce than the Mk2 because of the Mk2 bump in the mids. The Jade and Smegma Pro seem to do okay with either amp, but the Woo GES is much better with all of them.

Still, the Nuforce has been getting most of the use with the Pro bias phones on the SRD-7 Pro, and the Red has been used most with the normal bias on the SRD-7 SB.

Lastly, the speaker out of the Nuforce is better than it's headphone out, while the Headphone out of the Travagans is a little better than it's speaker out. The Travagans speaker out seems to drive a stax transformer much better than it can drive a real speaker. Don't ask me why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back