The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 25, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #8,881 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worth noting, Keith, the Srm1-MK2 PP has two pro bias outputs, and you have a normal bias lambda, so be careful.

thanks sherwood. that was to be my next clarification. so of the two remaining units, I assume then the "B" version is the preferred? newer parts and such.

Nov 25, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #8,882 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thats quite a deal; IF they were working
ph34r.gif

Yeah, the seller had listed them as an "SR-E". I'm guessing he was never in a college fraternity.

iirc it was one of those "working last i heard" descriptions.

I bid, but not nearly enough. A great deal, but not really in the budget for me anyway.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #8,883 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keithpgdrb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks sherwood. that was to be my next clarification. so of the two remaining units, I assume then the "B" version is the preferred? newer parts and such.

"C" versions were also Pro units with normal and pro outputs. Look for a SRM-1mk2 Pro with a serial number that begins with "C".

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #8,884 of 24,807
I've got a "B" version sitting here a my listening station, and I can tell you that it sounds awful sweet with the Lambdas. I will also mention, however, that the $400 you'd invest in one can be better spent elsewhere if your source isn't quite up to par. I heard a noticeable but not astronomical difference upgrading from a good integrated amp into an SRD-6SB. I think you'll find the same true for you. Until you get to the Signature level of pro-bias lambdas (or, say, the Koss ESP-950) you don't find much that's worth the pro-bias output on the SRM-1 MK2. That's my personal opinion, of course, and you may find your opinions differ, but for me and my normal bias lambdas the cost of the SRM1-MK2 can be better spent elsewhere (unless you need the pro-bias output).

Nov 25, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #8,885 of 24,807
I have caught myself already looking to upgrade from my sb energizer to an amp. I know my amp is good, but I really dont know how good, because I dont have much to compare it to. I have given myself a reality check because I know I need to upgrade my cd player. That will be the next major undertaking. I think I only considered the srm1-mk2 because I saw one on ebay on the cheap this week. still a bunch of time left though, so I'm sure it will pop out of my league. I must be patient.. I must be patient.. repeat mantra....

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #8,886 of 24,807
Ok... I've got my O2mk1/srm-717 setup running for about 45-50 minutes now and I'm listening to my 2nd album as I'm typing.

So here's my 'super-early' first impression, based on my current understanding.

1) As expected, the O2 has a 'laid-back' and 'relaxed' sound to it from this particular Stax amplifier
2) Not 'that' dark sounding at all --> a 'brighter' HD650-ish sound
3) Even though it's no Edition 9, the dynamics is 'pretty good'! I'm pleased and quite surprised. I'm sure a beefy tube amp will transform this into a beast.
4) There's a noticeable treble roll-off. However I know this is partially due to how I've gotten used to my 3 dynamic headphones --> they all have pronounced and sparkly highs
5) Midrange. WOW! I guess this is one of the best attribute of the O2 I can sense as of yet.
6) Presentation. Alright, I'm not sure how to put this to words but there's something completely 'different' about the music presentation; nothing I've experienced on the other 3 headphones I have on hand. It's not the mid-sized sound stage, it's more of the instrument 'placement'. Maybe 'precise' is the best word for it. The sound of the base guitars, cymbals, or vocals from the pianist is 'there'. For comparison's sake it's not like the Jade driven by Ray's amp (Chinucifi) where there's a really noticeable instrument 'separation' (not placement) where I can pin-point where things are going on inside my head-stage or the openness and 'blending effect' of the HE90. I guess it's somewhere in the middle of both. Again, all I can say it's a sort of presentation I'm not familiar with.

With that said, for me, the O2mk1 is a very very comfortable headphone. I like the soft ear pads and the comfy head band (not the arcing metal band lol). I also like how the ear pad mechanism can rotate like that; it's pretty cool. I can see the O2 being a good companion for LooooOOOng listening sessions, like the SA5000. I think with my current setup, the O2 is clearly the best all-around headphone: which is one of the reasons why I bought it in the first place, instead of the L3000. I don't think it'll outlast the R10 in classical genre/vocal based tunes, nor the Ed9 with rock genre, nor the SA5000's speed and 'rendering' capabilities in gaming.

Clearly, like the Jade and HE90, I need to spend a lot more time listening to understand it's attribute. It's a fine headphone and I'm not disappointed by it. I'm happy it's by my side come Christmas time and New Year
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #8,887 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6) Presentation. Alright, I'm not sure how to put this to words but there's something completely 'different' about the music presentation; nothing I've experienced on the other 3 headphones I have on hand. It's not the mid-sized sound stage, it's more of the instrument 'placement'. Maybe 'precise' is the best word for it. The sound of the base guitars, cymbals, or vocals from the pianist is 'there'. For comparison's sake it's not like the Jade driven by Ray's amp (Chinucifi) where there's a really noticeable instrument 'separation' (not placement) where I can pin-point where things are going on inside my head-stage or the openness and 'blending effect' of the HE90. I guess it's somewhere in the middle of both. Again, all I can say it's a sort of presentation I'm not familiar with.

This is IMO the real selling point of the SR-007 and why you'll either love them or the stretched out He90 (which the Jade is said to be similar). The SR-007 can resolve depth cues that the He90 couldn't dream about while never throwing it in your face. If the soundstage is tiny on the recording then it is tiny though with remarkable depth. If the recording was mastered with the a huge sound in mind then they will deliver. This all boils down to whether you like this or not and I for one can't stand the blur or fog like sound of the He90. The SR-Omega is a crossover headphone, providing the larger soundstage while also having much of the precision.

Btw. The 717 is no slouch but they are simply transformed on a BH with much more bass attack and control.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #8,888 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is IMO the real selling point of the SR-007 and why you'll either love them or the stretched out He90 (which the Jade is said to be similar). The SR-007 can resolve depth cues that the He90 couldn't dream about while never throwing it in your face. If the soundstage is tiny on the recording then it is tiny though with remarkable depth. If the recording was mastered with the a huge sound in mind then they will deliver. This all boils down to whether you like this or not and I for one can't stand the blur or fog like sound of the He90. The SR-Omega is a crossover headphone, providing the larger soundstage while also having much of the precision.

Ahh... I see
smily_headphones1.gif

Also from your words, I think I'm not mistaken to put the SR-Ω on my wish list.

Quote:

Btw. The 717 is no slouch but they are simply transformed on a BH with much more bass attack and control.

Aww, you're not helping my wallet there :X Although I must say the thought of having one at a later date is tempting.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #8,889 of 24,807
Nice impressions! I agree with most things you said. Like you said, the O2 doesn't sound dark in a properly matched system.

I wouldn't use "roll-off" to describe the O2's treble since it's fully extended. However, there is no treble emphasis at all, and if you're used to any kind of treble emphasis in other headphones, then the O2's treble will sound quiet and restrained.

This partially makes the O2 shine at high volumes - the FR is flat, and your ear doesn't really perceive sound as flat until you start getting into really high decibel levels. A lot of headphone manufacturers tip up the treble and bass in order to make the sound appear flatter at lower volume levels, but I guess back in the day that kind of tampering wasn't ideologically acceptable at Stax, and they kept the FR as flat as possible.

Now, if only they stuck to that idea instead of voicing their current lineup the way they do
confused_face_2.gif

This isn't to say that the O2 isn't good at low volumes, because it has an uncanny ability to keep the music open, dynamic, and coherent at volumes well below what most headphones are capable of. But, it sure does beg to crank.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:42 AM Post #8,892 of 24,807
The SR-404 is a lamdba. Lambda just denotes that style of driver and enclosure.

There are a bunch of different Lambdas. SR-Lambda in Normal and Pro bias, Lambda Signature, Lambda Nova Classic and Signature, Sr-202, 303, 404, and the 4070 are all Lambda designs. I'm sure I'm missing a few there, too. The 404 is probably the brightest of all the above, though I haven't personally heard the 4070 or the SR-303 to compare.

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #8,893 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also from your words, I think I'm not mistaken to put the SR-Ω on my wish list.

If you come across one at a good price it is certainly worth it. It's an Omega but slightly different and some may prefer the more "round" sound.

Nov 27, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #8,895 of 24,807
Boy its rough on Ebay. I was trying to get a Gamma pro, not for its own sake, but so I could use the drivers to make an SRXIII Pro. I had it until the last 10 seconds when 2 guys raised the bids $75.00 Canadian higher than I was prepared to go ending up at C$255.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back