The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #7,756 of 24,807
Just to be clear here: are we talking about a transformer to drive Stax earspeakers (certainly pro, but maybe normal bias also?) from a conventional hi-fi amplifier (like my SRD-7 or SRD-6s, but without the garbage)?

I'm asking because most of you here go on about all these esoteric after-market amps (BH, KGSS, Aureus?, etc.), and I can't be doing with all that tube-rolling and what-not, so I'd be very interested in getting a good trafo, to be driven by a Naim 32.5/140 pre/power combo...

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:16 AM Post #7,757 of 24,807
^ Yes, that's what we (or at least I) talk about.
A transformer unit, to drive electrostatic headphones using a regular speaker amplifier. Similar to the SRD-7 (Pro, MK2), but using higher dimensioned/quality parts.

Perhaps Lundahl can be a source of transformers?

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #7,758 of 24,807
A DIY transformer has been talked about before...it does seem like the weak link in this type of set up. What ever happened to the "Illusion" transformer out of Japan? A DIY project would be great to see happen!

Aug 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM Post #7,759 of 24,807
No need to bother Tim as there is already a transformer that will do the job but at a price. Sowter is about as good as you can get but I'm looking for something cheaper then the 4342.

As for bias supplies then the SRD-7 Mk2 is a solid no frills choice and if somebody steps up and makes a PCB design available then it can be fitted to any of the Stax units as well as new designs. The sky's the limit though with batteries and DC-DC converters if you want to go nuts and write about how burn in has changed the sound of the capacitors in the bias supply...
devil_face.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #7,760 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A DIY transformer has been talked about before...it does seem like the weak link in this type of set up. What ever happened to the "Illusion" transformer out of Japan? A DIY project would be great to see happen!

When I went to the manufacturer's website, it seems like Illusion ECS-1001 is out of production as of May 25th of this year. According to Carl, it's not worth the upgrade from SRD-7 Pro/Mk2.

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #7,761 of 24,807
My SRM-717 arrived today from Japan, surprisingly fast as I ordered it on Monday and it arrived on Friday. For the moment I am driving it from a step-down converter. It works very well with this converter (300 W and of decent quality I believe). I will try to rewire it later.

The improvement is dramatic with HE60 compared to 007t. Bass is much stronger and better controlled and the whole sound signature is transformed for the better. Obviously these headphones need much power. I haven't listened so much to the 404 yet but it also improved, although bass performance was not as lousy with the 007t as for HE60 + 007t. My impression is that SR-717 has a very neutral sound and works very well across genres, with acoustic music and also with bass-heavy music. Thanks for the suggestion that worked out very well to a very decent cost.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #7,763 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SRM-717 arrived today from Japan, surprisingly fast as I ordered it on Monday and it arrived on Friday. For the moment I am driving it from a step-down converter. It works very well with this converter (300 W and of decent quality I believe). I will try to rewire it later.

The improvement is dramatic with HE60 compared to 007t. Bass is much stronger and better controlled and the whole sound signature is transformed for the better. Obviously these headphones need much power. I haven't listened so much to the 404 yet but it also improved, although bass performance was not as lousy with the 007t as for HE60 + 007t. My impression is that SR-717 has a very neutral sound and works very well across genres, with acoustic music and also with bass-heavy music. Thanks for the suggestion that worked out very well to a very decent cost.

Congrats with the SRM-717. While I didn't find the change between even a 006t and 717 nearly as dramatic as you did, I agree with your observations. The SR-717 is certainly a great match for the HE60.

I haven't tried the SR-404 with the SRM-717, but based on the SR-202, SR-Lambda Professional and Signature, the improvements (from 006t & 212) aren't huge either.

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #7,764 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the SR-404 with the SRM-717, but based on the SR-202, SR-Lambda Professional and Signature, the improvements (from 006t & 212) aren't huge either.

You really appreciate the 717 with the O2 and Koss ESP-950.

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #7,765 of 24,807
Oh yeah! The O2mk1 definitely sounds good on the 717. Would like to hear it with other amps though... I haven't heard the Koss but I would love to. From what I've read it's got a sound signature which I like: HE60-esque with more bass.

EDIT: I realise I kinda missed your point. I've always found the Lambda series easy to drive and of course, the O2 is far more sensitive to amplification. I've heard the O2 from a Rudistor Egmont and it transforms into a totally different animal, albeit not necessarily pleasing to the ear.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #7,766 of 24,807
Quote:

The 404 also benefits from being driven by the 717. Especially the lower octaves are really in a firm grip. But the difference isn´t that huge when comparing with the 323.

Comparing the 717 and 323 with the 007 connected is another story.

cheers

Tom

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #7,767 of 24,807
Anders...glad you like the SRM 717 also...it really does seem to match well with the 007/omega 2 series,its dark nature heard on the srm1 transforms to a very neutral/full sound on the 717...do make the jumper changes!

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #7,768 of 24,807
Quote:

Oh yeah! The O2mk1 definitely sounds good on the 717. Would like to hear it with other amps though... I haven't heard the Koss but I would love to. From what I've read it's got a sound signature which I like: HE60-esque with more bass.

EDIT: I realise I kinda missed your point. I've always found the Lambda series easy to drive and of course, the O2 is far more sensitive to amplification. I've heard the O2 from a Rudistor Egmont and it transforms into a totally different animal, albeit not necessarily pleasing to the ear.

Would you please care to elaborate? For obvious reasons there seems to be not much love or experience with the Rudistor for electrostats among the US headfiers. I wonder if there're also performance or sound signature reasons.
If I were to try the O2 with other than Stax amps, it'd be a better choice for me a Rudi amp than the KGSS or BH.

Rgrds

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #7,769 of 24,807
Quote:

That is actually a very good analogy. I think at this point I definitely prefer the ESP/950 to the HE60. Both are fantastic headphones.

Someone grab the set on Ebay
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #7,770 of 24,807
I've only heard the Egmont once at a meet, but I reckon I got a decent listen. The Egmont was using some pretty pricey NOS tubes (the names of which I can't recall). Build quality-wise, the Egmont looks solid. However, I was unable to use my HE60 with it. One of the channels would start distorting even when no music was playing. It was not due to tubes as the owner had spares and it still didn't want work. I doubt it was my HE60's problem either because it played fine out of the three Stax amps which were also at the meet. I was disappointed that I couldn't hear my HE60 with the Rudistor. Anyway, on to the O2.

The first thing that jumped out at me was brightness! I had heard Duggeh's O2/717 three or four times and I don't recall there being so much upper-midrange and treble energy. For those who have heard the O2/717 or lesser amp, I'm sure you would've noticed that it doesn't put detail on a plate and serve it to you eg SR-Lambda Signature, HE60, R10, K1000. Instead, it's swathed in a layer of honey and you really have to listen closely before you realise that the O2 is no less resolving. The Egmont takes a bit of the honey away and the detail is left bare for all to hear. This is especially apparent in the bass. I would say the O2 becomes a much more energetic, not unlike recabling a HD650 with Zu Mobius. I personally didn't really like this effect; the extra energy made the O2 sound a bit shouty and unbalanced. At that point in time, I really preferred the the 717. Even the SR-Lambda Signature or HE60 amped by a 006t sounded better IMO... (O2 + 006t doesn't really work that well: flabby bass, very veiled, recessed highs, lacking in energy, etc. It's still reasonably enjoyable though.)

Spritzer has said time and time again that the O2 needs power to awaken it. This wasn't how I envisaged it. For reference purposes, the source was a Benchmark DAC1. Maybe it was the tube complement, the cables, or the source?

Bearing in mind these are only impressions from a mere half an hour to hour-long listen, I'm not at all put off by the Rudistor. The guy clearly knows how to design decent sounding amps, nevermind about whatever build quality, price, etc criticisms it has attracted. While I wouldn't necessarily buy one myself, at least not based on my short audition, I remain optimistic and would like to listen to it again. The fact that it didn't work with my HE60 is somewhat disturbing though...

Cool_Torpedo, I hope this was what you were hoping for.

J-Pak
, my bank account is as undernourished as Keira Knightley.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back