The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 14, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #7,456 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsbrsvp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the SRM-717 better than the SRM-727?

Thanksss

Yes! I purchased a 727II when they first came out. I compared it to my 717, 007t and KGSS. I think that Stax wanted to make the 727 sound too much like a tube amp, but failed. It sounds dull, lifeless and opaque on the O2. It's not bad on the other Stax phones.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #7,457 of 24,807
Aw crap I hate eBay, I just got out-bid on a white SR-5 by mere seconds.
frown.gif

But at least I finally paid for an OII MKII order today, whooooo! Hope it gets here soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #7,458 of 24,807
Since BH is bit out of reach in terms of availability right now, what's the general thought about using the energizer (SRD-7 Pro/Mk2) or Stax amp (SRM-717/007t) to drive O2?

I've read some threads regarding Stax amps generally gives more clarity/detail, and energizers probably has a wider dynamic range, but what are people's general preference?

Jul 14, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #7,460 of 24,807
i think its the same as the Echo ED-1000

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The style reminds me of my Echo electret headphones, which had their transformers inside the earcups.

Dsc01899-1024.jpg

A very clean sound to those but incapable of high volume and the pads were awful. I modded them with some NAD16 pads and sold them on for a few pennies. Those toshibas though are clearly the shiznitz on which these were based as some sort of cheap alternative.

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #7,462 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd rather just burn the 1800$. I see he's going the Rudistor and Singlepower way and charging more for the same crap.
frown.gif

If you don't mind, rather than burning your $1800 can you just send it out for me to use for a while....
wink.gif

In relation to McAllister I read and understand the various negative experiences HeadFi-ers have had but I must have some incrediable luck ("touch wood") because my EA-4 serves quite well as a back-up to my Woo GES. So much so that I doubt the EA-8 improvements can justify the $1799 asking price.
eek.gif

Jul 14, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #7,463 of 24,807
hey stax thread - just received my SRD7pro/NuForce Icon to pair with my Lambda Pros that have been very lonely for the past month and wanted to report what everyone already know, they sound incredible. Better then anything ive heard, miles ahead of my HD650s.

Also, while I have never heard the SRM1/mk2, the Srd7 seems to sing with the Icon. There is the bass punch I was afraid of not hearing based on reviews and the mids are maybe not as pronounced as my grados, but are liquid smooth and non-sucked out. Looking foreword to a long career on Team Stax

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #7,464 of 24,807
There has been much talk in this thread about the SRM-717 being the best Stax amp. to drive the Omega 2- my favorite headphone by far.

I am not an equipment freak. I am a music freak and I love music on the 02 better than any speaker in the world- headphone or monitor. I want to have the minimum equipment to give the best sound.

Is there anyone out ther who has listened to a BH or BHSE or ES-1 with the Omega 2; and sonically are they any better to your ears than the SRM 717 in driving the 02? If so, is it by much?

Jul 15, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #7,465 of 24,807
What I was trying to get at there was the music concepts, not products, so thanks so much for picking up on my concept (that I wanted mo betta 404 style sound). And recommending for me to listen further...that is the greatest gift, of understanding. So thank you.

Koss 950... still available? omoshiroi, ne? (Interesting, huh...)

Quick evals? Depending on the circumstances they can be highly useful, IMO. Drink some coffee, really zone in, and trust your gut... Sometimes, to advocate always letting the hypnosis set in stymies your critical nature and is doing your greater pleasure centers a disservice - because it keeps you from searching for better things.

Some take it slow, some like it hot... I guess I like to mix it up....

I was in a store called "Akiba" in Tokyo, listening to all these phones. It is like 9 stories high, each level is same SQ FT as a best buy. Every iota of usable space in the entire complex was packed (Japanese style) with every current production electronic device known to man. well, maybe not. But it was crazy.

They had a headphone rack with TONS of headphones, all playing the same horrid J-pop song on repeat (synchronous). It was not a good source either (at all), but alot could still be learned from quick ABing. I had heard alot of these phones before under better circumstances, but this was still a pretty interesting excersize.

They also had a "high end" setup. amongst 6 or so other exhaustive setups of various headphone brands (In a relatively quiet part of the store...), they had all the stax phones with all the stax amps. It was pretty cool. I had my Ipod there, as it was far more useful than their Marantz SACD player because I was familiar with the music, the Ipod's sonic signature, my cable's sonic signature, and also I run CD files off the thing so it actually does not sound half bad.

My headphone hobby initially lead me into dynamic phones because of budget, initial lack of DIY skill, and thinking blindly that "NO OTHER ELECTROSTAT COULD EVER MEASURE UP TO ORPHEUS" blah blah blah....

Seeing recent market developments, and hearing a little of what was also actually good from the past: boy, was I wrong....

Lots of work to do...

So thanks for the heads up, from a (very well read and listened) stax collector.

Gonna go listen to the koss (if I can...).

-Thanks again,

-Clark

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #7,466 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So much so that I doubt the EA-8 improvements can justify the $1799 asking price.
eek.gif

Exactly. You doubt the EA-8 is worth $1799 as well.
Just like Birgir...

Jul 15, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #7,467 of 24,807
Posted in Pics of Rig thread, but applies here, too:

Start with the Stax:

Next, the AD2000 and its good friend, the Pico:

Stax 323A and PS Audio DLIII help run the Stax show:

The whole gang:

Just put on Lambda's, angry Aaron:

Stax send Aaron into immediate trance:

Aaron has become possessed by the Lambda's:

Aaron has become completely delusional, and turned into... (see below pic if you don't get it):

Patrick82!

Whack-job transformation complete thanks to audio.

Jul 15, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #7,468 of 24,807
All I can say at this moment is that the 3050 system, and the Lambda Pro, are stunning. I finally feel as though I have purchased gear that sounds real. The fact that it gets much better is actually scary.

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #7,469 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you don't mind, rather than burning your $1800 can you just send it out for me to use for a while....
wink.gif

In relation to McAllister I read and understand the various negative experiences HeadFi-ers have had but I must have some incrediable luck ("touch wood") because my EA-4 serves quite well as a back-up to my Woo GES. So much so that I doubt the EA-8 improvements can justify the $1799 asking price.
eek.gif

If I ever lost my mind and was planning to buy a McAllister then I'll send you the cash instead.
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #7,470 of 24,807
nice set up aaron313!
Can you let us know the sound differences between the Pico and PS Audio DLIII? Seems the Stax set up's are sensitive to source input...the pico gives a very full sound to the 303 and Lambda pro, but the pico likes the 303 more...The predator just plain sucks as a dac for the Stax' . I still have to get a usb digital transporter for my desktop to hook my lavry DA10 to my Stax setup. I am just too lazy to hook things up to the Home theater where the lavry/SB3 currently resides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back