The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 10, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #7,381 of 24,807

Seeing double or no? One stock SR-Omega and the other fitted with SR-007A drivers.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the complete list of changes in the design, spritzer. Still, your description of the sound characteristics doesn't really fit my issues with the O2 II; I love the bass and wouldn't mind a more forward presentation. What I hear is, on the contrary, a presentation somewhat lacking in liveliness and presence. I guess this is due to an underrepresentation of the frequencies between, say, 1 to 4 kilohertz. Even the 717 seems to be unable to solve this problem convincingly. Audiod, can you confirm this being a specific difference between your O2 and O2 II?

This could be a source or cable issue as this isn't something I have encountered. To say that the Omegas are source and cable sensitive is a massive understatement.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #7,383 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the omega with 007A drivers compare to the real 007a?

Since I just got them a few hours ago it's way too early for any solid impressions. One thing to note is that Stax doesn't do the conversion fully to my liking so I had to mod this set a bit.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #7,384 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... Stax claims that the new O2II needs at least 200 hours break-in ...

From STAX USA told me that O2 Mk2 reach their full potential after 300-500 hours
rolleyes.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #7,385 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the STAX USA told me that they reach their full potential after 300-500 hours
rolleyes.gif

Considering that there is minimal run in on electrostatic drivers then I guess Yama's have lost what little sense they had...
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #7,387 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may be a very amateur question but... what will happen if the standart bias voltage (580V) of my SRM-727II is raised?

Nothing if the phones aren't plugged in...
wink.gif
The bias voltage is a compromise between a few factors such as the D/S gap, stator insulation and drive voltages. If you raise the bias voltage then the drivers have more potential (i.e. can be louder and move more air) but you risk arcing them. Higher bias means that the drivers need to be redesigned.

When Stax designed the SR-Omega above then the experimented with 1100v bias but dropped it due to the issues it presents as that is speaker territory. You should read up on the fundamental basics behind electrostatic forces to understand it better.

Jul 10, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #7,389 of 24,807
Well, the SR-5 and a SRD-X in horrible condition was more than enough to wipe the floor with the HD650 + X-can V3 for me, so read into that what you will
wink.gif

And why is the stax thread in the "high end" forum anyway? Its like saying all sennheisers and audio technicas are high end.

Jul 10, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #7,390 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And why is the stax thread in the "high end" forum anyway? Its like saying all sennheisers and audio technicas are high end.

Well, I think it depends on how you look at it. The Stax community is different from most of the rest of Head-fi in that many of us look seriously at vintage equipment.

If you set vintage stuff aside, and just look at current products and prices, Stax prices are quite high, with only one system offering below $300 (and that's only if you buy it from Japan, with the attendant warranty complications).

Stax basically doesn't make poor or cheap 'phones. Sennheiser and Audio-Technica both have much cheaper offerings that don't even need amps.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #7,392 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I think it depends on how you look at it. The Stax community is different from most of the rest of Head-fi in that many of us look seriously at vintage equipment.

If you set vintage stuff aside, and just look at current products and prices, Stax prices are quite high, with only one system offering below $300 (and that's only if you buy it from Japan, with the attendant warranty complications).

Stax basically doesn't make poor or cheap 'phones. Sennheiser and Audio-Technica both have much cheaper offerings that don't even need amps.

I agree with this. If you take a concentrated sample of the most hardcore audiophiles on this site, the fraction who own Stax systems will be significantly above average.

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #7,393 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the complete list of changes in the design, spritzer. Still, your description of the sound characteristics doesn't really fit my issues with the O2 II; I love the bass and wouldn't mind a more forward presentation. What I hear is, on the contrary, a presentation somewhat lacking in liveliness and presence. I guess this is due to an underrepresentation of the frequencies between, say, 1 to 4 kilohertz. Even the 717 seems to be unable to solve this problem convincingly. Audiod, can you confirm this being a specific difference between your O2 and O2 II?

My biggest sound difference in the O2II compared to the O2 is a thickness in the midbass and lack of deep deep bass, a lack of fine low level detail, very top end not as airy and a overall opaque quality. I don't understand why the O2II needs such a long break-in and the O2 doesn’t. They don't excite.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #7,394 of 24,807
What's the best way to get older Stax phone serviced/repaired?

I have a Lambda Nova Sig that's developed a bit of wire connection problem on the right side. Sometimes it loses all sound, and I'd have to "wiggle" it a bit to get it back.

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #7,395 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best way to get older Stax phone serviced/repaired?

I have a Lambda Nova Sig that's developed a bit of wire connection problem on the right side. Sometimes it loses all sound, and I'd have to "wiggle" it a bit to get it back.

The best way is either to fix it yourself if you can, or get a trusted DIYer from here to fix it for you. Cable issues are relatively straightforward to deal with-- if you lost a driver or seriously broke the housing, you'd need another broken pair to turn it into one good one, there would be no other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back