The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 5, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #7,276 of 24,807
Jul 5, 2008 at 12:10 PM Post #7,277 of 24,807
A smokin' deal? Hope so. Notice, however, that nowhere did the seller claim the Lambdas or SRD-7 Pro worked or that they were tested in any way, and I think we can guess from his responses to questions that they weren't tested.

Jul 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM Post #7,278 of 24,807
Wow this thread gave me quite a drool fest.

1)So, after some reading impressions, it seems that the SRM-1/MkII - Lambda Pro combo is a good way to start. Is this true?

2)I have never been in a head-fi meet or Canjam before, but during the bigger ones do members/MoT bring whole electrostat rigs to audition?

Thanks for the thread.
For now, I'll keep reading
biggrin.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #7,279 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

1)So, after some reading impressions, it seems that the SRM-1/MkII - Lambda Pro combo is a good way to start. Is this true?

2)I have never been in a head-fi meet or Canjam before, but during the bigger ones do members/MoT bring whole electrostat rigs to audition?

Thanks for the thread.
biggrin.gif

See the pictures for the Dallas meet. There were several set ups.
Even a BH.

Jul 5, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #7,280 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I had the pleasure of putting O2 on my head for the first time this past weekend in the NorCal meet . . . and discovered a minor problem.

Either those particular cans were fairly unused/new, or I really have a big head, the elastic band of O2 was forcing the cups to go up and crushing my ear lobes
frown.gif
I literally had to keep 2 hands on the cups for the listening session, otherwise my ear lobes were feeling a bit raw. It seems like my fit would be flush if I cold remove the elastic band completely.

Is there a way to adjust the fit or would the elastic loosen up over time?

That is exactly the same problem as I have experienced with my new O2 MK II. I do have a pretty large head and there was no comfortable way of wearing the O2. I did bend the arc but this alone didn't resolve the problem. The solution was to exchange the elastic band for a slightly longer and more elastic one. Having done this, the fit is *so much* better. Now I'd even call them super-comfortable – something I would never have thought possible!

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #7,281 of 24,807
Quote:

Yes, in fact it's such a great start and such a great value that you may not even need to move on. Of course, that's easier said than done.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Thanks for the thread.
biggrin.gif

Yup, at most of the medium/large meets you will find 'stat rigs to play with. Many of them drool-worthy. Also, I think there was a recent all-'stats mini-meet in the NYC area.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #7,282 of 24,807
well you guys did it with a final push by blessingx at the NorCal meet with his Stax rig. Just dipping my toe in and picked up the sr-x mklll with an srd-7 and it sounds wonderfull. This has pretty deep bass, not as much as my balanced 650s but still good. It's the tonality and texture of the instruments and vocals that really shines. Detail is good to great and I am really satisfied for a $215 investment it compares sonically to a much more expensive dynamic rig. The mids are crazy good and all this out of 40 year old fisher kx-100 integrated amp.

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #7,283 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well you guys did it with a final push by blessingx at the NorCal meet with his Stax rig. Just dipping my toe in and picked up the sr-x mklll with an srd-7 and it sounds wonderfull. This has pretty deep bass, not as much as my balanced 650s but still good. It's the tonality and texture of the instruments and vocals that really shines. Detail is good to great and I am really satisfied for a $215 investment it compares sonically to a much more expensive dynamic rig. The mids are crazy good and all this out of 40 year old fisher kx-100 integrated amp.

Ah, welcome to the craziness Nums! I'm selling off my dynamic rig!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #7,284 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah, welcome to the craziness Nums! I'm selling off my dynamic rig!
evil_smiley.gif

I am pretty freaked out that a 30 year old stat can keep pace with a top class dynamic rig in many aspects. It is not without faults as they can get a bit top end gritty on modern recording which I think is as much a problem with the recording as it is anything.

Any one have a good suggestion for an amp for these, remembering that these are old and have the 6 pin normal bias? I am reluctant to use a dedicated amp as these have dynamics in spades and I'd hate to lose that.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:12 PM Post #7,285 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any one have a good suggestion for an amp for these, remembering that these are old and have the 6 pin normal bias? I am reluctant to use a dedicated amp as these have dynamics in spades and I'd hate to lose that.

Personally I'd stick with the Fisher and experiment with tube rolling and interconnects. Keep in mind that STAX in general are extremely responsive to changes upstream. The wrong ICs can at times seem to literally make or break the setup.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #7,286 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The solution was to exchange the elastic band for a slightly longer and more elastic one. Having done this, the fit is *so much* better. Now I'd even call them super-comfortable – something I would never have thought possible!

Where did you get a longer and more elastic band? I wasn't aware that you could get varies sizes for O2's headband.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #7,287 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I'd stick with the Fisher and experiment with tube rolling and interconnects. Keep in mind that STAX in general are extremely responsive to changes upstream. The wrong ICs can at times seem to literally make or break the setup.

well my cables are top notch neotec solid core wire made by our resident cable maker
wink.gif

Thanks for the fisher advice I am really enjoying this set up. Now it's time for new ear pads from audio cubes.

Jul 5, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #7,288 of 24,807
The KGSS is coming, the KGSS is coming; it is at my PO today. I will get it most likely Monday or Tuesday.

The SR-007MkII is coming as well and should be here maybe by the end of this week.

Jul 5, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #7,289 of 24,807
I have a srm 717 coming...but it is only set for the japanese 100v. I can get a transformer like they sell with the current amps, but I recall after reading the whole old and new Stax threads over the past month a way to change the wires in the back. It even had pictures...so if anyone can point to that part of the thread it would save me alot of time...or maybe even go over the changes again would be appreciated.

Jul 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM Post #7,290 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by tako_tsubo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a srm 717 coming...but it is only set for the japanese 100v. I can get a transformer like they sell with the current amps, but I recall after reading the whole old and new Stax threads over the past month a way to change the wires in the back. It even had pictures...so if anyone can point to that part of the thread it would save me alot of time...or maybe even go over the changes again would be appreciated.

Useful?
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sta...ml#post3902577

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back