The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #7,186 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use your SR-007
tongue.gif

That's what I did for mine. It's all I had at the time.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #7,187 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real problem is, other than head-fi meets, where does one go to listen to Stax?
Most people don't have a local dealer.

Guess I should consider myself lucky then, who have a locale dealer (also the Scandinavian Stax distributor) in town.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

The upfront costs are large.

The upfront costs are not that large. $3-500 should get you a nice system.
People spend that and even more on dynamic systems..

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got them from Audiocubes, sadly they're now $179. Gone up a big chunk like all the other stax stuff there.

It helps living outside US then. he he
Since the USD have gone down 20-25% the last year or so. Resulting in pretty much stable prices for Stax gear from Japan.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #7,188 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I did for mine. It's all I had at the time.

They are nigh on impossible to arc so why not use them. It's the same for the SR-003 so it's a great tool for testing sick little amps like this 007t I've got sitting here and with no time to even look at...
frown.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #7,189 of 24,807
YOW!

Well I just found out what kind of electrocution potential the sony ECR transformers dish out... OWOWOWOWOCH!
frown.gif

Damn that stings, much stronger than the little zapping I got from the Stax transformers. The Sonys going full tilt from my Hafler pack a good wallop. I'm impressed!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #7,190 of 24,807
Quote:

YOW!

Well I just found out what kind of electrocution potential the sony ECR transformers dish out... OWOWOWOWOCH!
frown.gif

Damn that stings, much stronger than the little zapping I got from the Stax transformers. The Sonys going full tilt from my Hafler pack a good wallop. I'm impressed!!
biggrin.gif

Can you put me in your will for the Smegma Pros, in case anything happens, considering I helped you get the drivers for them?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #7,191 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joking joking. I good headphone to use for BH is Koss ESP950. If it breaks just send it back to Koss to get fixed.
cool.gif

I'd love to hear my ESP/950 out of my Stax transformer box. Anyone want to lend me an adapter
biggrin.gif

But the Omega 2 are way ahead of them in my current setup.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #7,193 of 24,807
Quote:

I still prefer the SR-X III to the Lambdas. It has a solidity to the sound I really like. Fast, full and oh so good
biggrin.gif
What can I say, I like monitor sound and it's what I aim and tune for in my mods.

I find that the SRX III has a remarkable detailed sound and smoothness over the mid and upper frequencies. However, in part because of its weak bass it has an overall thin sound and can make much music unlistenable. I do not prefer mine over a Lambda Nova or 404. I regard it a sort of specialty item for detail freaks. Myr lambdas are more listenable over a wider range of material.

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #7,194 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd love to hear my ESP/950 out of my Stax transformer box. Anyone want to lend me an adapter
biggrin.gif

Hey ericj, got a price quote on a Koss to Stax adapter?

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #7,195 of 24,807
I wish you could hear the Smegma Pro first hand. I think you'd be quite astonished at the level and depth of bass in them. The modified SR-X was very surprising in how much bass they produced after I finished with them but the Pro drivers are something else again. More and deeper bass than the Lambda with much smoother mid/highs. The solidity and detail I crave is there in spades and being circumaural they are very comfortable. They are the best phones I've heard to date. I've heard some damn nice phones too.

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #7,196 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the Stax SR-Lambda rank in Stax's own lineup?

It'll be paired with Srd 7

I have only heard vintage stax, other than my SR-003, but I can say the SR-Lambda are one of my favorites among my huge collection of stat and dynamics, and almost as good as the SR-Lambda Signature Pro. I would NEVER sell mine. It would be hard for most dynamic headphones to beat the SR-Lambda, which sound at least as good as a Grado RS-1 to me (maybe better with some material).

Jun 27, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #7,197 of 24,807
Quote:

I wish you could hear the Smegma Pro first hand. I think you'd be quite astonished at the level and depth of bass in them. The modified SR-X was very surprising in how much bass they produced after I finished with them but the Pro drivers are something else again. More and deeper bass than the Lambda with much smoother mid/highs. The solidity and detail I crave is there in spades and being circumaural they are very comfortable. They are the best phones I've heard to date. I've heard some damn nice phones too.

I accept your offer to listen to them firsthand. Just PM me for my address and FedEx number.
wink.gif

BTW, in case I lose them, how much will I owe you, so I can have my checkbook ready.
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 9:27 AM Post #7,198 of 24,807
Please excuse my ignorance, but I heard that new electrostatic headphones need to be charged up first. Is this process the same as burn-in for dynamic headphones? Or do I just need to leave the headphones plugged into the driver unit with the driver unit turned on?

Jun 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #7,199 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

PM ericj, he might be willing to make one for you
biggrin.gif

Jun 27, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #7,200 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey ericj, got a price quote on a Koss to Stax adapter?

It's hard to say, really. I mean akzip charges $140 for his, but he uses extra fancy silver pins on the plug.

how about, with the barrel painted black rather than polished up, $50 + ship. And specify how much of the 6-foot koss extension cord you want me to use (f2d's adapter cable is full-length, but i can make you a short one).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back