The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 24, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #7,156 of 24,807
Well, Mr. Gilmore was so kind to come up with a tentative explanation. He said storing the headphones in a plastic bag could be the cause as they probably sit in a very humid air - the moisture could be due to sweaty earpads. It makes some sense to me as the malfunction tends to appear at the beginning of the warm period of the year.

If this is correct, the only question is if the driver is permanently damaged or it could "dry" somehow and spare me of the hassle of another driver replacement. Mr. Gilmore suggested I leave the amp on with the phones connected for 2-3 days and see if the buzz goes away definitively. I'm only worried the amp could overheat - it sits in a piece of furniture with many ventilation holes in the back and some 30 cm. of room all around it, but the doors should stay closed during the day and my room is very warm during the summer (no air conditioning). I'll find a solution.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #7,157 of 24,807
I stay in a very humid country. My method of keeping electrostatics dry is the same for cameras. I place my O2 in a dry box with dessicants. In that way, they are kept in a humidity level of around 30% or less.

I use one of these electric silica dessicants which can be reheated to allow moisture to escape and reuse again.

locknlock3.jpg

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #7,158 of 24,807
How dangerous is humidity when it comes to stats? Are NYC levels dangerous? I have AC in the room but it is off for most of the day because I am at work. All this humidity talk is making me worried about my Staxsen
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #7,159 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How dangerous is humidity when it comes to stats? Are NYC levels dangerous? I have AC in the room but it is off for most of the day because I am at work. All this humidity talk is making me worried about my Staxsen
frown.gif

Ah yes, I thought I heard a little of that "Spritzer-bag grattle" on your Stax last time I was over... probably too late to save them now. If you want, I'll take those now-ruined Sigmas off your hands, though.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #7,161 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yes, I thought I heard a little of that "Spritzer-bag grattle" on your Stax last time I was over... probably too late to save them now. If you want, I'll take those now-ruined Sigmas off your hands, though.
biggrin.gif

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!
eek.gif
Must de-humidify immediately!!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #7,163 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Quichotte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, Mr. Gilmore was so kind to come up with a tentative explanation. He said storing the headphones in a plastic bag could be the cause as they probably sit in a very humid air - the moisture could be due to sweaty earpads. It makes some sense to me as the malfunction tends to appear at the beginning of the warm period of the year.

If this is correct, the only question is if the driver is permanently damaged or it could "dry" somehow and spare me of the hassle of another driver replacement. Mr. Gilmore suggested I leave the amp on with the phones connected for 2-3 days and see if the buzz goes away definitively. I'm only worried the amp could overheat - it sits in a piece of furniture with many ventilation holes in the back and some 30 cm. of room all around it, but the doors should stay closed during the day and my room is very warm during the summer (no air conditioning). I'll find a solution.

That certainly could be the cause but there has to be condensation on the drivers for it to happen as the bias is so low compared D/S spacing. The Stax dust covers are open on the bottom so that there is no build up of moisture.

The amp should be fine in that environment. Having some forced cooling is a plus (a fan of some sorts) but try leaving it on for 24 hours and if you can rest your hand for an extended period of time on top of the chassis it will be fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

I'm sorry but I can't help you here are Iceland is very dry even though the sea is only 20m away from my house. Stax did build in a lot of humidity protection with insulated stators and a lower bias voltage so they claim it's fine up to 90% if there is no condensation.

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #7,165 of 24,807
Well, now it happens....
wink.gif

I have decided to scale down my Stax collection. I have tried a lot and decided to only keep those I enjoy the most and the rare ones. Meaning SRM-007t, SRD-7 Pro, SR-007BL, 4070, SR-X/MK3 Pro and probably the SR-404.

The rest are either for sale, or will go there:
* SRD-7 MK2 -> Sold
* SRM-1/MK2 Pro -> For sale
* SR-X/MK3 and SRD-7 -> For sale
* SR-Lambda Pro x2 -> Keep an eye with the FS forum, or send me a PM...

Don't fear. I will still enjoy my remaining Stax'en.
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #7,166 of 24,807
Hi Guys!

Is it possible to connect the O2 to the SRM-323?

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #7,167 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Axel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys!

Is it possible to connect the O2 to the SRM-323?

Yes it has 5 pin pro connections afaik.

Jun 24, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #7,168 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, now it happens....
wink.gif

I have decided to scale down my Stax collection. I have tried a lot and decided to only keep those I enjoy the most and the rare ones. Meaning SRM-007t, SRD-7 Pro, SR-007BL, 4070, SR-X/MK3 Pro and probably the SR-404.

The rest are either for sale, or will go there:
* SRD-7 MK2 -> Sold
* SRM-1/MK2 Pro -> For sale
* SR-X/MK3 and SRD-7 -> For sale
* SR-Lambda Pro x2 -> Keep an eye with the FS forum, or send me a PM...

Don't fear. I will still enjoy my remaining Stax'en.
biggrin.gif

Since you are selling off some things and keeping others please tell us what you think you have that has synergy with each other; i.e., which amps go best with which headphones.

Since having the SRM-T1S I now can say the SRX-1 Mk3 normal bias is a real performer, very surprising to me. With another sound altogether different from the SR-Gamma Pro with that amp.

Jun 25, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #7,169 of 24,807
krmathis, how would the SR-X/MK3 and SRD-7, paired with nuforce icon or travagans green be for a stax starter system? do you think it would be better than getting the 2050a with alien dac, or sr-005 with zero? Thanks.

Jun 25, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #7,170 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you are selling off some things and keeping others please tell us what you think you have that has synergy with each other; i.e., which amps go best with which headphones.

You can't go much wrong with the SRM-1/MK2 Pro and the SR-Lambda Pro imo. Perhaps a reason why they were sold as a system back in the -80's...
The SR-X/MK3 sound very nice through the SRD-7 and a speaker amp as well.

Thats about it...
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ok computer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
krmathis, how would the SR-X/MK3 and SRD-7, paired with nuforce icon or travagans green be for a stax starter system? do you think it would be better than getting the 2050a with alien dac, or sr-005 with zero? Thanks.

Thats hard to answer, since have never heard the nuforce icon, travagans green, alien dac or the zero. But I will try.
The SR-X/MK3 & SRD-7 itself would be a really nice starter system. Cause "everybody" have a speaker amp, and hence could enjoy electrostatics for a relative small amount of money.
The 2050a system is different (it use a Lambda phone), worth about the double, and a step up I would say. The SR-X/MK3 is a monitor, with another sound than the Lambdas.

There are lots of impressions about all these systems in here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back