The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 8, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #7,006 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't seem to find the specs.
According to Larry, it makes the mids too forward with the SR-003.

Well, more forward than I prefer with SR-003 (a fault of the SR-003), but the NuForce still does a good job with them, and it is wonderful with HE60 and Lambda Sigs. It is starting to grow on me as it burns in, and the highs are actually more extended than with the SRM-1 Mk2 PRO.

The Travagans Red (with AD743 opamps added) is another nice 5 watt $190 SS amp that sounds like a $500-1000 headphone amp. It is primarily a headphone amp, and works great with my RS-1 and Edition 9 and everything else, but it also offers banana jacks for speakers and drives stax transformers quite well (even with stock LM4562 opamp). It is fantastic with the SR-003 and everything else, with my SRD-7 Pro and SRD-7SB.

Jun 9, 2008 at 12:28 AM Post #7,008 of 24,807
Spritzer, what is the difficulty/risk level when plugging the port? I am not at all worried about the fart effect. I just want to know because since your mod worked I will probably go for the Mk2, but do not want to ruin it.

Jun 9, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #7,009 of 24,807
Would you guys recomend the 2050a basic system or the sr-003 with a nicer say, sub 500$ amp?

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #7,010 of 24,807
I just completed an ESP950-to-Stax cable for Faust2D, thought I'd share some of what i learned about using the WPI 'microphone' plug to make DIY stax cables.

I've noticed that most DIY stax cables lack any kind of handle or real strain relief. I've solved those issues.

stax2esp950-detail.jpg

It turns out that if you shave off the lip on the WPI plug, you can friction-fit the plug into a 1/2" to 1/4" copper reduction fitting. It fits tightly, and is hard to remove without the highly technical removal tool I developed, which is detailed below.

The 1/4" end of the reduction fitting in this case is covered with a 3/8" plug. This is epoxied on - the gap is too huge to solder it. Believe me i tried. Blowtorch and everything.

An o-ring provides an accent and something to grab onto that isn't polished copper and fills the gap.

An oval is drilled out of the cap to feed the cable through.

The outer diameter of the copper fitting is indeed small enough to fit in the recess of some stax amp sockets.

If you wanted to go balls-to-the-wall, you could use a 1/2" copper plug and use a dremel or something to carve a slot in the back of the plug for the cable to feed through, which might look slick, but the strain relief would have to come in the form of some silicone adhesive or something injected into the body after assembly - the caps aren't deep enough to fit anything but maybe 1 layer of insulated wire between plug body and the back of the cap. And it would be a pretty short handle.

You could get creative with the copper, too. I have a friend who used to work at a bronze foundry, and says it's relatively easy to apply just about any color patina to bare copper.

Since the center pin is not needed for pro bias, It's been removed. The hole has been drilled out a little and tapped with threads to accept a standard 6-32 screw. This gives you a nice sturdy disposable handle to thread into the plug in case you ever need to remove it from the handle to rewire the cable. There's only about 3/16" of threads in the plastic, but it seems quite sturdy this way.

Sticklers for military-grade sturdiness in this feature could drill the pin opening all the way out to the same diameter as it is on the back of the plug and tap the whole shaft for a #8 screw. But that would be massive overkill.

A zip-tie covered with heatshrink provides strain relief. There's about 1/2" of slack inside the body of the plug handle.

Soldering the plug is easy if you approach it in a methodical fashion.

I stripped about 1 inch of the outer jacket (which is hard to do without also stripping the inner insulation) and then stripped the last 1/4 inch of the insulation. The wire is then twisted, folded in half, and tinned.

The idea here is that the lump of wire and solder at the end should be almost too big to fit through the hole at the business end of the pin. This provides a relatively tight gap into which you can get a good solder joint.

So, you take the folded-and-tinned end and shove it into the pin until it just barely pokes out the end, arrange this vertically with the business-end pointing straight up, use your needle-applicator to drip some good flux into the barrel of the pin, heat with the iron, and apply solder until the end seals up. This will leave a fair amount of flux residue, but it's nothing you can't clean up with some alcohol.

A few comments about the Koss ESP-950 extension cord. Everybody says this is a crappy cord with crappy enamel coated wire in it.

The cable F2D sent me is in no way enameled. Anywhere. In any way shape or form.

There's an outer jacket in black that covers the (insulated) inner wire, which admittedly is about 28awg or maybe a little smaller considering it has a fiber reinforcement strand.

But it's all very reasonable copper, and no worse than I've seen in Stax electret ribbon cables. And there is certainly no enamel.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #7,011 of 24,807
Quote:

Would you guys recomend the 2050a basic system or the sr-003 with a nicer say, sub 500$ amp?

The SR-003 has its fans... I think the sr-202 (headphones from the 2050a basic) is better and also the headphones will be far more comfortable.

Jun 9, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #7,012 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just completed an ESP950-to-Stax cable for Faust2D, thought I'd share some of what i learned about using the WPI 'microphone' plug to make DIY stax cables...

Looks good, and I know F2D will be pleased-- he was kind enough to bring his ESP950 today when he stopped by to return the SR-X I'd let him borrow. Excellent headphones, even with their featherweight energizer. Out of a Stax amp, I imagine they'll sound even more fantastic.

Jun 9, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #7,013 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Given the low price of the 003, it's an astonishing little thing. It scales wonderfully as you say and the bass is a thing to behold. I hadn't listened to them for a while because I've been so infatuated with my other creations, but on going back for another listen they really are good.

I'm gonna be evil now, but if you like the 003, you really should get the O2. Out of all Stax phones, they probably have the most similarities in sound signature, though of course the O2 is a lot better.

Jun 9, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #7,014 of 24,807
Hi guys,

Quick question - would I kill my O2s if I connect it to a SRD-7 Pro from my 300W integrated amp? I want to try this out before getting a dedicated amp for the Stax.

Jun 9, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #7,017 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron313 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spritzer, what is the difficulty/risk level when plugging the port? I am not at all worried about the fart effect. I just want to know because since your mod worked I will probably go for the Mk2, but do not want to ruin it.

You are working near the drivers so it isn't easy and one slip with a screwdriver will be very expensive. I do think that the mod can be performed without removing the metal plate which holds the earcup to the arc so only the pads have to be removed.

Quote:

I just completed an ESP950-to-Stax cable for Faust2D, thought I'd share some of what i learned about using the WPI 'microphone' plug to make DIY stax cables.

Looks great. I use the shell of some old connector and glue it to the back of the WPI and then heatshrink the whole thing. Looks quite good but hopeless against polished copper.
tongue.gif

Quote:

A few comments about the Koss ESP-950 extension cord. Everybody says this is a crappy cord with crappy enamel coated wire in it.

The cable F2D sent me is in no way enameled. Anywhere. In any way shape or form.

There's an outer jacket in black that covers the (insulated) inner wire, which admittedly is about 28awg or maybe a little smaller considering it has a fiber reinforcement strand.

But it's all very reasonable copper, and no worse than I've seen in Stax electret ribbon cables. And there is certainly no enamel.

Very strange indeed. I got a bunch of them years ago from a fellow collector and they all had nasty enamel on the wires but Koss might have changed cables. The ESP10 cables were also enamel coated for the record.

Jun 10, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #7,019 of 24,807
So I've had the chance to listen to the Lambda Pros and the Sigs using the good input jack. The Pros definitely have more mid-range etch than the Sigs. I still like the Pros, but I LOVE the Sigs. Mesmerizing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my SRM1/MK-2, and I like it. But it definitely is a bit on the bright side when fed by the DAC1. The Lambda Pros have a real bite to them (as well as some predictable etch). The Signatures, on the other hand, sound amazing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's strange; I have read before that the Lambda Pro has one of the least amounts of bite and the Lambda Sig has etch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is possible that the RCA jack out of which I was listening initially is bad (now only down to one channel). So the etch may actually have been the jack crapping out. I'll do some more listening out of the second input and report back. I'm also going to replace and rewire the RCA jacks.

Jun 10, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #7,020 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega
F2D was kind enough to bring his ESP950 today when he stopped by. Excellent headphones, even with their featherweight energizer. Out of a Stax amp, I imagine they'll sound even more fantastic.

Glad you finally had a chance to hear them. Ain't they swell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back