The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #6,497 of 24,807
Here is the rest of pictures taken mostly to show the difference between the Mk1 and A:

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you describe the tonal balance compared to the mk1? Do they seem as transparent as the mk1? My mk2 is bloated in the midbass and doesn’t have the deep deep bass punch of the mk1. They also still have a murky quality compared to my mk1. If I listen to just the mk2 I seem satisfied, but when I put on the mk1 my jaw drops. I don’t think that the earpad is the only reason. I plan on getting a mk2 earpad and putting it on my mk1. I’m beginning to think that Stax may have changed the tension of the diaphragm (tighter) on the mk2 to reduce the “Stax fart” and has changed the sonic character. Just a thought.

They were a bit murky until I started to work on the arc's and now the midbass is better controlled but there is still a "hump" that could be appealing to some but it shouldn't be there. There is a midrange resonance that appears in massed male voices but that could disappear with more burn in. It only happens in trouble spots like on Steely Dan's - FM track where they sing together.

They could have altered the tension of the diaphragm but I think there is a port somewhere hidden to let the trapped air escape. Press the earpieces against the head tight, then let go and there is only a mild suction sound while on the Mk1 all hell would break loose. That means that there is an easy way in and out for the air as they also don't make a sound when you press on them. I didn't find anything when I took off the pads but that was before I eve listened to them so I didn't know what to look for. If you do try Mk1 pads it would be wise to also use the Mk1 spring (the circular metal bit that goes inside the pads) as it seems to be slightly different on the Mk2/A.

To me the Mk1 is the no compromise item with better sound and massive issues but Stax needed to fix those issues and came up with a slightly compromised headphone that some may even prefer.

May 1, 2008 at 1:48 PM Post #6,499 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by sango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is pressing the earpads to your head a bad thing to do with the MkI? Does it make any damage on the driver?
I think it sounds like its gonna crack when it "farts".
//

I know! Man, sometimes my Lambda's left driver makes a horrible, prolonged "peeling" sound that may last as long as thirty seconds. Absolutely nothing I've tried has been able to eliminate the sound or even reduce its intensity. Not even a little.

May 1, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #6,500 of 24,807
The first time I heard the Stax "fart" I thought I had broken the headphones.

When it happens there doesn't seem to be any permanent damage but I try to avoid making contact with the driver. I don't think you want to continually press the headphones against your ears but if it happens inadvertently once in a while I don't think it causes any harm.

May 1, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #6,501 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by sango /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is pressing the earpads to your head a bad thing to do with the MkI? Does it make any damage on the driver?
I think it sounds like its gonna crack when it "farts".
//

No damage will occur as the stators are well insulated.

May 1, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #6,502 of 24,807
As per the the manual, you may hear a crack/pop sound if you accidentally push the pads against your ears - it should have no harmful effects if this happens.

May 1, 2008 at 7:13 PM Post #6,503 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FYI: eBay USA has a Lambda Pro (with original box) for "Buy it Now" price of $350. That's not a bad price. They look to be in good condition.

That's weird I don't recall seeing those before I went to bed, and they are gone now.

May 1, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #6,505 of 24,807
Nice cans Spritzer. I see the "Denon" has arrived too
tongue.gif
(or have I been way too unobservant?
redface.gif
)

May 1, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #6,506 of 24,807
...And right on the eve of CanJam '08, I've taken a calculated pre-emptive move towards achieving an electrostatic system! Just bought an amp, now to go for a headphone...I don't suppose if those who've heard the OII MKII can say how similar-sounding it might be to the Grado HP1000 or an Audio-Technica AD2000?

Edit: er, forget I asked, I'll be finding out for myself this weekend.
tongue.gif

May 1, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #6,507 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2deadeyes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As per the the manual, you may hear a crack/pop sound if you accidentally push the pads against your ears - it should have no harmful effects if this happens.

My 20 year old Lambda Pro and my 2 year old SR-303 both make this sound but my new SR-404 and SR-202 do not (both purchased in the past 5 months). It appears that Stax may have made some changes to reduce the "fart".

May 1, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #6,508 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice cans Spritzer. I see the "Denon" has arrived too
tongue.gif
(or have I been way too unobservant?
redface.gif
)

It's been sitting for nearly a week now unused as there is something wrong with it. I'm still waiting for APL to get back to me on it. I'm going to order some ECC99 tubes though to have spares and to see if it's just the tube acting up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 20 year old Lambda Pro and my 2 year old SR-303 both make this sound but my new SR-404 and SR-202 do not (both purchased in the past 5 months). It appears that Stax may have made some changes to reduce the "fart".

The Lambdas are the same as they have always been and the fart varies from unit to unit.

May 2, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #6,509 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...And right on the eve of CanJam '08, I've taken a calculated pre-emptive move towards achieving an electrostatic system! Just bought an amp, now to go for a headphone...I don't suppose if those who've heard the OII MKII can say how similar-sounding it might be to the Grado HP1000 or an Audio-Technica AD2000?

Edit: er, forget I asked, I'll be finding out for myself this weekend.
tongue.gif

What amp would that be Asr? I'm also thinking of skipping the whole upgrade thing, and jumping straight to Omega II, but before that I have to basically buy a whole new setup, source, interconnects, amp, and headphones
biggrin.gif
, I'll think of it as an 'early' x-mas present
smily_headphones1.gif

May 2, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #6,510 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still waiting for APL to get back to me on it.

Good luck. On APL forum, you see so many posts titled "Alex, please get back to me," and these are people who bought the $$$ Esoteric mods. Their customer service is, eh... famous.

Before Alex became famous (his Sony 707ES mod days), he had great customer service. I had my tubed Cary CDP modded by him long ago, and it arrived with a loose wire on the board as well, but I was actually able to call him up and talk to him on the phone
smily_headphones1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back