The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #6,361 of 24,807
Was the SRM-717 ever made with a normal bias socket? I know that the 007t had one for at least some of its production run. Elsewise the SRM-T1 or some variant thereof would be the stock answer. Or you could go with a transformer box. Theres the KGSS as well which is cheaper than the Blue Hawaii, but I've no idea how many are out there with normal bias sockets.

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #6,362 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, I knew somebody was going to say that. That is for some time in the distant future...

OK then. How about something pretty good, but not necessarily the best?

KGSS
wink.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #6,363 of 24,807
Quote:

So, now that I'm all Stax'd out, it's time to start thinking of upgrading! What is the best possible (or close to it) amplifier for normal bias Stax headphones? The one I have now sounds fine, but it's really only a stand-in until I can get something really nice. Solid state is preferable.

KGBH SE with a normal bias output maybe?
wink.gif

Some pictures:

kgbhse1.jpg

kgbhse2.jpg

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #6,364 of 24,807
Also, another question: do all Stax brand amplifiers have the funky dual volume control? That thing is getting on my nerves. I've only seen one other Stax amp in person, and I don't remember if it did or not.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #6,365 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the SRM-717 ever made with a normal bias socket? I know that the 007t had one for at least some of its production run. Elsewise the SRM-T1 or some variant thereof would be the stock answer. Or you could go with a transformer box. Theres the KGSS as well which is cheaper than the Blue Hawaii, but I've no idea how many are out there with normal bias sockets.

The 717 was never sold with a normal socket. The SRM-3 and the T2 were also Pro only.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:23 PM Post #6,366 of 24,807
Quote:

Man, I knew somebody was going to say that. That is for some time in the distant future...

OK then. How about something pretty good, but not necessarily the best?

I would go with the SRM-007t. I sold my KGSS and kept my 007t & 717.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #6,367 of 24,807
Quote:

Also, another question: do all Stax brand amplifiers have the funky dual volume control? That thing is getting on my nerves. I've only seen one other Stax amp in person, and I don't remember if it did or not.

All Stax amps I've ever seen except the small SRM/Xh (and probably SRM 212/252 and similar) did have a dual volume control kombined in one knob.I like it since I do have hearing imbalance whenever I have a cold (has something to do with the eustachian tubes).What exactly is getting on your nerves?As soon as you've set it you can use it like a single stereo pot.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #6,368 of 24,807
Quote:

comes in handy sometimes when old stats get a channel imbalance. Which amp are you using, by the way? An SRA-35? Never heard of this model. I do know of the SRA-3s, though. Possible upgrades: cheap, SRM-1 mkII (there's a normal-bias only one up for auction right now); expensive, KGSS with normal bias out. I don't know why people keep mentioning the Blue Hawaii when you explicitly said SS preferable. BH on the brain, I guess-- a common sickness around here. Yet I know of one person on this thread who has an amp builder working on a new concoction that should be a significant improvement on the BH...

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #6,369 of 24,807
If the Blue Hawaii drives the SR-007 I and II better than the Aristaeus, which I assume is true, I think I can safely say that the MkII is arguably the best-sounding electrostatic headphone. Yes, better than the SR-Omega or HE90.

I'm on the list for a Blue Hawaii SE and am also waiting for an SP ES-1. I believe Justin has indicated he will be bringing a BHSE and SR-007 MkII to CanJam. The lucky people who will hear that system better hang on to their wallets. I would feel confident betting on that system vs. any single-ended dynamic system.

I've always liked the Mk I's precision imaging and ultra-clear separation. Each note and sound source is so distinct that I don't mind its relatively small headstage as much. But the Mk II seems to me to have a bigger headstage than the Mk I, and, incredibly, even better imaging and separation. It is so precise and clear that I think the SR-Omega, HE90, HE60 and 4070 all seem a bit muddy and blurry in comparison.

Tonality seems close to perfect to me. Just very slightly dark, and very slightly brighter than the Mk I. Refinement to the max. Bass quality and quantity is near L3000 level, which basically means it's among the best bass I've heard.

I think the Mk II ranks in the top three in basically every category I can think of, refinement, soundstage, headstage, imaging, details, tonal accuracy, tonal balance, extension, bass quality, bass quantity.

If this post sounded like a rave, yeah, I guess it is.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #6,370 of 24,807
I just don't like it. Sometimes I grip it wrong, and mess up my careful calibration. Plus, I'm never quite sure I've got it really, exactly centered. I keep checking it with tones and pink noise, and it never sounds quite right. Probably just a mental effect, but it's a strong one.

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #6,371 of 24,807
Quote:

No! My SRM-007t and SRM-1/MK2 have this dual volume knob. While my previous SRM-001 did not.
The same goes for the SRM-252II, SRM-310, and probably more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Was the SRM-717 ever made with a normal bias socket? I know that the 007t had one for at least some of its production run.

No, not as far as I know.
But the SRM-007t were available with both Pro and Normal bias outputs though, as you mention. I have one of those

Apr 24, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #6,372 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shame on you!
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Your raving about the SR-007MK2 compared to the SR-007 don't help at all. Cause I really like the all-black look, and try my best to stay clear of buying one...

Great to see that you love them though.

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #6,373 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the Blue Hawaii drives the SR-007 I and II better than the Aristaeus, which I assume is true, I think I can safely say that the MkII is arguably the best-sounding electrostatic headphone. Yes, better than the SR-Omega or HE90.

I'm on the list for a Blue Hawaii SE and am also waiting for an SP ES-1. I believe Justin has indicated he will be bringing a BHSE and SR-007 MkII to CanJam. The lucky people who will hear that system better hang on to their wallets. I would feel confident betting on that system vs. any single-ended dynamic system.

I've always liked the Mk I's precision imaging and ultra-clear separation. Each note and sound source is so distinct that I don't mind its relatively small headstage as much. But the Mk II seems to me to have a bigger headstage than the Mk I, and, incredibly, even better imaging and separation. It is so precise and clear that I think the SR-Omega, HE90, HE60 and 4070 all seem a bit muddy and blurry in comparison.

Tonality seems close to perfect to me. Just very slightly dark, and very slightly brighter than the Mk I. Refinement to the max. Bass quality and quantity is near L3000 level, which basically means it's among the best bass I've heard.

I think the Mk II ranks in the top three in basically every category I can think of, refinement, soundstage, headstage, imaging, details, tonal accuracy, tonal balance, extension, bass quality, bass quantity.

Damn, damn, damn... I want mine now!!!!!
cool.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 5:39 PM Post #6,374 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shame on you!
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Your raving about the SR-007MK2 compared to the SR-007 don't help at all. Cause I really like the all-black look, and try my best to stay clear of buying one...

Great to see that you love them though.

X2..
I've just bought the MKI and the 4070 and already want the MKII. Head-fi is not treating my wallet very nice..
rolleyes.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 7:04 PM Post #6,375 of 24,807
Damn, this thread had a sudden spurt of activity.
biggrin.gif

Elephas, congrats on the MkII ya lucky bastige. I still haven't seen or heard an Omega of any description yet and It's getting to be a bit miffing as I feel I'm missing out on some great sounds. Not that I can afford them, I'd still like a listen at some stage before I croak
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back