The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 10, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #6,197 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seriously doubt that the McAlister amp is worth 1k$ let alone nearly 2k$ with all the trouble people are having with his products.

Much as I understand where spritzer is coming from on this, my own EA-4 was previously used at multiple meets across the US before the trip out to Australia and continues to perform faultlessly. Yes, the build quality is less than ideal, both in this model and the EA-6 that a HeadFi-er ended up returning to Peter. And the image seems to show Peter has at least cleaned up the externals to a cleaner better build and resulting look. The real question will be how the EA-8 performs, hopefully reflecting similar build quality improvements under the hood.
wink.gif

If it does the job, then it's a worthwhile step in the right direction for us potential customers. And an indication the builder has responded to the critical feedback.

If not, then it would probably lead to a complete lack of trust in further products (which HeadFi-ers that have been around longer than I may already be at).

Spritzer is right about the cost, though. Considering the comparative cost of the well proven Woo GES (based on a proven Kevin Gilmour design), I'd be wanting a free trial period or a 30 Day return policy or the like as it is a substantial investment for a new product in an increasingly competitive marketplace (remember the RSA electrostatic headphone amp might also enter this mix sometime in the future as well!)

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #6,198 of 24,807
So how about popping the hood and showing us the internals of the EA-4?
wink.gif

Comments such as the "...They are triode connected, the input and differential circuits are all triode with additional tube regulation in the power supplies, no
electrolytic capacitors in the signal path with all the features of my EA-4" tell us nothing that isn't a standard in the up coming Little Dot amp. Even finding electrolytic caps to put in the signal path might be hard given the sizes used in most electrostatic amps.

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:15 AM Post #6,199 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So how about popping the hood and showing us the internals of the EA-4?
wink.gif

Comments such as the "...They are triode connected, the input and differential circuits are all triode with additional tube regulation in the power supplies, no
electrolytic capacitors in the signal path with all the features of my EA-4" tell us nothing that isn't a standard in the up coming Little Dot amp. Even finding electrolytic caps to put in the signal path might be hard given the sizes used in most electrostatic amps.

I agree the description gives you nothing unique or defined. Internal pics would be good, particularly considering previous negative experiences some have had.

I've decided not to open mine up because 'if it ain't broke...'
wink.gif
And, in all seriousness, as a fully functioning unit, it does do a pretty good job. Like with my GES, though, I'd like to tuberoll first before considering any other 'upgrade/mod' options.

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #6,200 of 24,807
Quote:

I would like to know if somebody compared the Beyerdynamic DT990pro with the Stax RS-2050II Basic SystemII.
I would like to buy it, but only if it is a real improvement.

It is a real improvement (I own similar headphones)
a lot of the things that are likable with the DT990 (and I DO like the DT990) are the same with the Stax only better. I sometimes listen to the Beyer straight after having listened to a Stax and every time the Beyer leaves my head after a short period with me making a painful face..

Quote:

I really like my Beyerdynamic DT990pro a lot. But I am searching for something better. I am very curious for the Stax 2050II. I placed an order today. I will use it for making recordings of classical music, mostly chamber music. Thanks for pointing out that the 2050 is a good cost-effective choice, the 4040II or the SR-007MkII are too expensive for my budget.

You won't regret it; especially with you choice of music it is great
Chamber music is the kind of music that benefits the most of detailed representation of the Stax headphones I think.

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #6,201 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pipoplus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a real improvement (I own similar headphones)
a lot of the things that are likable with the DT990 (and I DO like the DT990) are the same with the Stax only better. I sometimes listen to the Beyer straight after having listened to a Stax and every time the Beyer leaves my head after a short period with me making a painful face..

You won't regret it; especially with you choice of music it is great
Chamber music is the kind of music that benefits the most of detailed representation of the Stax headphones I think.

Nice to hear! This is exactly what I want from a headphone: perfection for chamber music. I still think the Beyer DT990 is very good. Well I haven't heard the Stax yet.
Here is what I record :

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...-recording.m4a

I heard the music on hybrid Electrostatic speakers yesterday, and it was quite a lot better than the DT990.

BTW: where did you buy your Stax? I leave in Flanders, but I saw the distributor is in The Netherlands?

Apr 10, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #6,202 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree the description gives you nothing unique or defined. Internal pics would be good, particularly considering previous negative experiences some have had.

I've decided not to open mine up because 'if it ain't broke...'
wink.gif
And, in all seriousness, as a fully functioning unit, it does do a pretty good job. Like with my GES, though, I'd like to tuberoll first before considering any other 'upgrade/mod' options.

Wuss...
tongue.gif
I wished that I had learned the "if it ain't broke..." when I was younger. My life would have been so much better...
biggrin.gif

If you want to open it then it looks like amp is built on the top panels so you can remove the bottom panel with no worries and the whole circuit will be in plain sight.

Apr 10, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #6,203 of 24,807
Were that I had left the bottom plate on the EA-6... but, it made no difference in the sound.

Oh, and it would take more than 30 days to _receive_ the amp once it is 'shipped'. I hate the USPS - Canada Post collaboration, well, and Canadian Customs <sigh>.

Chalk that all up to lesson learned.

Apr 10, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #6,204 of 24,807
Quote:

Nice to hear! This is exactly what I want from a headphone: perfection for chamber music. I still think the Beyer DT990 is very good. Well I haven't heard the Stax yet.
Here is what I record :

Nice recording I did not recognize from who "dieser Lieder sind"

Quote:

BTW: where did you buy your Stax? I leave in Flanders, but I saw the distributor is in The Netherlands?

I is hard to find a shop which has more than one set on display
Get a grey market pair from japan; Buying from an European dealer will cost you almost double or buy secondhand.
(btw. I will have a SR-313 and a Lambda SR-303 for sale soon
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 11, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #6,205 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by westmalle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is what I record :

Thanks for the sound sample westmalle. It sounds superb on my SR-404/SRM-007t. I too would like to know composer/title of the piece.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipoplus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a grey market pair from japan; Buying from an European dealer will cost you almost double or buy secondhand.

I second the idea of considering a used pair. My Lambda Signatures that I've had for 17 years manage to have a midrange that's even more silky smooth and transparent than the current 404. That would leave a little more in your budget for one of the nice valve amps, such as an SRM-T1 or current SRM-006. If all the model numbers are confusing, here is a Wikipedia page that sorts it all out.

Apr 11, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #6,206 of 24,807
Thought I'd drop a quick note:

I preordered the Nuforce Icon, hoping to simplify my computer-based SR-X/SRD-7 setup. If the sound is good, it seems like this could be a handy solution for use with the Stax transformer boxes, so I'll pass along the results in a few weeks.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with the funky speaker cables, though. Maybe just cut the plugs off and solder them directly inside the box. My SRD-7 doesn't have the stock cables anyway.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #6,207 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I'd drop a quick note:

I preordered the Nuforce Icon, hoping to simplify my computer-based SR-X/SRD-7 setup. If the sound is good, it seems like this could be a handy solution for use with the Stax transformer boxes, so I'll pass along the results in a few weeks.

Still trying to figure out how I'm going to deal with the funky speaker cables, though. Maybe just cut the plugs off and solder them directly inside the box. My SRD-7 doesn't have the stock cables anyway.

I'll be testing a Travagans Red and Green soon, with speaker outputs into my SRD-7 soon - driving SR-5N Gold and SR-Lambda.

"Red" has analog input and headphone amp/speaker amp, "Green" has only USB input with the same outputs, but it also includes optical and coax out so you can get the computer's sound into another DAC and then on into the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro.

Should be interesting. Too bad I sold my SRD-6 with gold banana plugs last month.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #6,208 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be testing a Travagans Red and Green soon, with speaker outputs into my SRD-7 soon - driving SR-5N Gold and SR-Lambda.

"Red" has analog input and headphone amp/speaker amp, "Green" has only USB input with the same outputs, but it also includes optical and coax out so you can get the computer's sound into another DAC and then on into the SRM-1 Mk2 Pro.

Should be interesting. Too bad I sold my SRD-6 with gold banana plugs last month.

Wow, an almost identical feature set to the Nuforce. I look forward to your impressions.

Apr 12, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #6,210 of 24,807
Well, my SR-X/MK3 Pro have just arrived.
smily_headphones1.gif

More correctly SR-Alpha Pro drivers mounted in the SR-X/MK3 housing, and cable modified to Pro bias.

Thanks Birgir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back