The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 27, 2008 at 2:16 AM Post #6,062 of 24,807
SR-202 pads seemed a bit more vinyl like to me and the pads on my 20 year old SR-Lambda are very soft and feel more like leather. Maybe someone changed the pads on my SR-Lambda to some other pads? What other black pads were there?

Mar 27, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #6,063 of 24,807
Some vintage stats on eBay
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

We offer up for your consideration this vintage
pair of lightweight electrostatic working headphones.

They are in excellent cosmetic and mechanical condition.

This item was recently acquired at a local estate sale.

2pic08210816.jpg

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #6,064 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On another note, it's seems pretty hard to upgrade from a SRM-1 + SR-Lambda combo without really hurting my wallet. I find this a little saddening, as minor upgrades have always been a fun thing to aim for. In the stat universe it seems like the next logical step (or considerable improvement) would be a KGSS, and later on an SR-007, with both of them tripling my current stat budget... But I guess the journey is more important than the destination (as I've just ordered an SR-404 to feed this hunger...).
tongue.gif

Yeah, that's kinda rough. I'm looking at Stax setups and going "Well I could get a 3050. But a 4040 isn't much more and you get better phones AND driver." But after that, you're talking about O2s that cost as much or more than a whole 4040 system, and an amp/driver that costs at least as much as a 4040, maybe a few times as much depending on which one you pick. Then I think about just going to a 007 system to avoid upgraditis, but that takes me back to the beginning and wondering if it's really 3x better than a 3050
icon10.gif

Mar 27, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #6,065 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some vintage stats on eBay
rolleyes.gif

Don't look much like stats to me, from that pic, especially with the standard headphone plug. Maybe electrets.

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #6,066 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR-202 pads seemed a bit more vinyl like to me and the pads on my 20 year old SR-Lambda are very soft and feel more like leather. Maybe someone changed the pads on my SR-Lambda to some other pads? What other black pads were there?

The finish on the new pads is a bit different but they are more comfortable then any one of the older pads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't look much like stats to me, from that pic, especially with the standard headphone plug. Maybe electrets.

Could be but there isn't much room for transformers even if they are tiny.

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #6,067 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sort of. Piezoelectric. But piezo the bad way, using rochelle salt crystals. This is just a cheap old mono crystal headphone, one step up from the crystal earphone your granddad used to listen to the ballgame with.

Piezo used to be all over low-end home audio. Crystal phono cartridges, crystal mics, crystal earphones. All gone now.

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:18 AM Post #6,069 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, this thread have too many pages to read. I think we should have start a new one.

You don't retroactively read it all, you search it for whatever you need or wonder about, and maybe you join the club and start keeping track of it from now on.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #6,071 of 24,807
I've tried searching but not much is coming up:

Question is, does anyone have actual experience with Stax SRD7mkII (or Pro) with 4070 or OII? Of course, this is premised on the energizer/transformer hooked up to a decent amp. Is this a credible option? Or don't bother? Any input from persons that have tried this would be very helpful. I suspect several people will respond with "get a real direct stax amp", but again what I'm trying to assess is if the SRD7mkII + my Almarro would be a credible interim solution with 4070 and/or OII.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #6,072 of 24,807
sure it will. I have the srd-7 and an old Sony TA-N110 and it sounds fine to me. my source could be better and I need to upgrade the wiring in the srd-7 but still, very nice sound.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #6,073 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..... but again what I'm trying to assess is if the SRD7mkII + my Almarro would be a credible interim solution with 4070 and/or OII.

I don't know your Almarro but in general a decent loudspeaker amp/Stax transformer solution tends to sound better than cheap direct drive amps and it's basically for free when you already own such a loudspeaker amp since you can sell the SRD later without or minor loss.
One caveat though: the SRDs are age old and often slightly corroded.You have to apply something like DeOxit or even better you could mod it by implanting decent modern gold plated speaker binding posts.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #6,074 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by waddragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
man, this thread have too many pages to read. I think we should have start a new one.

I don't see why.
No need to read it all, as you can just search. With the benefit that you don't need to search several threads.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried searching but not much is coming up:

Question is, does anyone have actual experience with Stax SRD7mkII (or Pro) with 4070 or OII?

I have, and posted about it somewhere in here I think.
Hooked up an SRD-7 (don't remember if I used the Pro or MKII) to an Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 and my Doxa 70 Signature MKII. Then plugged in my SR-007BL.

My short impressions are that I lost some of the details. But gained control.
Compared to driven by my SRM-007t that is.

Mar 29, 2008 at 3:18 AM Post #6,075 of 24,807
Yes. I ran a SRD7Pro with OIIs.

It sucked.

Get a real amp for the OIIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back