The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 27, 2008 at 9:19 PM Post #5,251 of 24,807
LMAO... I've been following the box fiasco closely. 'Suppose anything with "Stax" on it will sell on eBay.

What does "PP" on the SRM-1 mean? (I'm guessing two Pro Bias vs one Pro and one normal). The seller obvious knows his stuff, seeing that he has pointed out the significance of the serial number. Methinks he has been reading the Stax threads here
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #5,252 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. Just bought it. My wallet hurts like heck and there's now a huge hole in my bank account. Student life just doesn't go hand in hand with this expensive, expensive hobby.

I told myself I'd stop spending monnies on headphones after the HE60 but I can't! The Lambda sound is something I don't think I can live without, at least not until I can afford a SR-007. Nice food or nice headphones? I chose the latter
tongue.gif

The SR-007 isn't that expensive now... only 80-100k Yen
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO... I've been following the box fiasco closely. 'Suppose anything with "Stax" on it will sell on eBay.

What does "PP" on the SRM-1 mean? (I'm guessing two Pro Bias vs one Pro and one normal). The seller obvious knows his stuff, seeing that he has pointed out the significance of the serial number. Methinks he has been reading the Stax threads here
biggrin.gif

P-P stands for Pro-Pro. I fairly sure that the seller is somebody I've been helping with some Stax stuff for a few months so the info could be from me.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:39 PM Post #5,253 of 24,807
I think we are getting a "museum" effect with old Stax products. Whereas for many years you could get into stats cheaply by picking up these old units, now they are being sought after by collectors who particularly want the older and more unusual items as opposed to merely getting good sound at a good price.

I saw Ferrsteins old Sigma go for nearly $400.00 and a Sigma pro for about $1,300.00. These prices may not represent a good buy, they are not out of line for unique items of which there are not many left and getting fewer by the day.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #5,254 of 24,807
Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask some advice from you guys if you can help.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am having a little trouble with my new stax system. I have been listening to this set-up for about a month now; SR-007 (omega II) -> KGSS -> high quality cd player. To be honest though I am a bit disappointed with it. Previous to this system I was using a discman and Sennheiser HD555 headphones, so I made a big leap (thanks head-fi), I feel that there is an improvement with this rig in that instruments have more texture, there is more detail, the bass is better. But just not as great as I expected, the bass is a little boomy, and the whole presentation just doesn't seem as awesome as I thought it would be. I first auditioned a stax headphone about a year ago at a shop, it must have been the classic or signature system. I thought it sounded awesome. I have no idea how this compares to my current rig though, as it was so long ago. Maybe I was just expecting too much! Though could there be something wrong here? Obviously it is all working but maybe something isn't quite right? Is that possible? Or could there be a lack of synergy with my components or something?

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #5,255 of 24,807
SR-007 boomy? You need to get a pair of HE60, seriously
biggrin.gif
The HE60 sound is closer to the HD555 than the SR-007. It's much crisper-sounding. I am surprised you didn't find the O2 breathtakingly good though... What sort of music do you listen to?

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #5,257 of 24,807
Milkpowder, I find the sound good, the realism of some instruments is great. I listen to mostly classical. Particularly with Symphonies, it's like it puts all the sounds and instruments out there, but it's not quite solid and clear?

Yeah, I'll have to give it some more time; I'm using balanced Harmonic Technology magic link two's. I originally was using an inexpensive ($85) pair of balanced cables, and recently bought the HT's from Audiogon. They definately improved things a bit, like the texture of instruments. The sound with the cheap interconnects was so much like my discman/HD555 I was wondering what was going on.

Jan 28, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #5,258 of 24,807
ymv,

The other recommendation I've consistently seen when people are concerned about not getting the full SR-007 experience is ensuring you have the best fit. I understand the headbands sometimes need twisting/adjustment to ensure you get the drivers angled correctly towards your ear canal.

Do a search of the thread as I'm sure it's mentioned at least once. Or PM spritzer, who is very precise on how to get the most out of the SR-007.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:15 AM Post #5,259 of 24,807
I listened to some OII again this weekend (just a matter of time and budget) - no darkness at all, and some REALLY wild synergy with Marc's KGSS. Just absolutely superior - and really wanted to hear them on the BH... another day soon.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #5,260 of 24,807
Well, I'm waiting for the ebay auction to end on a new SRS2050II. Hopefully by next weekend I'll be able to test drive them and see what all the fuss is about. Almost bought another set of phones, but then started to think that I ought to try something out of the box, so to speak, and spend a little more to get a Stax system.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #5,261 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by webbie64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other recommendation I've consistently seen when people are concerned about not getting the full SR-007 experience is ensuring you have the best fit. I understand the headbands sometimes need twisting/adjustment to ensure you get the drivers angled correctly towards your ear canal.

Do a search of the thread as I'm sure it's mentioned at least once. Or PM spritzer, who is very precise on how to get the most out of the SR-007.
wink.gif

Thanks for the tip webbie, though I've had a look at this before as well. My fit seems to be different to most though; if I drew a line across my face connecting the seems on the earpads, it would go across my cheeks and the tip of my nose, from other people's comments, most have it facing up towards the temples...I guess it shouldn't matter as long as it is creating a good seal and is comfy...

Jan 28, 2008 at 8:02 AM Post #5,262 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ymv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip webbie, though I've had a look at this before as well. My fit seems to be different to most though; if I drew a line across my face connecting the seems on the earpads, it would go across my cheeks and the tip of my nose, from other people's comments, most have it facing up towards the temples...I guess it shouldn't matter as long as it is creating a good seal and is comfy...

A small variation in the angle of the pads shouldn't matter. If they are comfortable then you have the right fit. The boomy bass could be the result of some other part of the system or the that phones are too loose on the head. The cables aren't something I'd use on a SR-007 system and since you don't list the source that could be the cause but it is easier to just bend the metal arcs a few degrees. There are breaks in the metal arcs that suspend the phones on each side, just before the enter each earpiece. Try bending them with your hands so the the bottom of the earpieces comes closer together. Start off slow and listen for any changes. You can also try to simulate the effect by having the phones on the head and press in the bottom of the cups while keeping the top in place. Be careful to not block the back of the cups or break the seal as both will alter the sound.

One last thing... are the phones new or did you buy them used? The SR-007 is very sensitive to the condition of the earpads and they need to be replaced every 2-3 years with normal usage or when the foam has lost its stiffness.

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #5,263 of 24,807
Thanks, I'll give that a shot now, Spritzer. I bought the phones new 7 months ago, but only started using them 1 and a bit months ago as I was waiting for the amp. So they sat in their box for a while...

Ah, ok, are these cables a poor choice? In what way? What would you suggest?

Jan 28, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #5,264 of 24,807
Quote:

Thanks, I'll give that a shot now, Spritzer. I bought the phones new 7 months ago, but only started using them 1 and a bit months ago as I was waiting for the amp. So they sat in their box for a while...

Ah, ok, are these cables a poor choice? In what way? What would you suggest?

I would always suggest silver for use with the SR-007. Kimber KCAG is a good, cheap-ish choice and so is Ridge Street Audio Poiema.

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #5,265 of 24,807
Quote:

Hi guys,

I just wanted to ask some advice from you guys if you can help.
smily_headphones1.gif
I am having a little trouble with my new stax system. I have been listening to this set-up for about a month now; SR-007 (omega II) -> KGSS -> high quality cd player. To be honest though I am a bit disappointed with it. Previous to this system I was using a discman and Sennheiser HD555 headphones, so I made a big leap (thanks head-fi), I feel that there is an improvement with this rig in that instruments have more texture, there is more detail, the bass is better. But just not as great as I expected, the bass is a little boomy, and the whole presentation just doesn't seem as awesome as I thought it would be. I first auditioned a stax headphone about a year ago at a shop, it must have been the classic or signature system. I thought it sounded awesome. I have no idea how this compares to my current rig though, as it was so long ago. Maybe I was just expecting too much! Though could there be something wrong here? Obviously it is all working but maybe something isn't quite right? Is that possible? Or could there be a lack of synergy with my components or something?

Any help or comments would be much appreciated.

ymv,
Search this thread for my comments on the KGSS vs. SRM-717 vs. SRM-007t driving the SR-007. I listen to a lot of classical music and found the KGSS was not great at retrieving ambiance cues and low level detail. I found the sound forward and flat with a small headstage. I didn’t think that the KGSS had boomy bass, that could be your source.

AudioD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back