The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2007 at 7:28 PM Post #3,976 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can the be balanced if they share a ground? (I assume)

Wouldn't they have to have 6 pins to be truly balanced?

There is no ground in electrostatic drivers. You should read up on the principle.

Oct 30, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #3,977 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no ground in electrostatic drivers. You should read up on the principle.

I see.

So they would benefit from a completely balanced system?

Oct 30, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #3,979 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see.

So they would benefit from a completely balanced system?

There is no correct answer for this question. If you were going with a hypothetical perfect single ended and perfect differential chains both ending in the same push-pull output stage, then the balanced would be louder due to more voltage but SE much purer and more musical. You are sacrificing a whole lot of simplicity in the favor of some theoretical and loader way of doing things. There is a reason why many pro gear is single ended but fitted with transformers at the inputs and outputs to produce galvanic isolation and use the differential signal for what it does best, travel over large distances in an environment riddled with interference.

I used to believe that balanced was the only way but now I see just how idiotic it is to use double the parts to achieve something that is actually worse due to the need to use cheaper parts. There is theoretical advantage but you won't need that outside of the studio. I'd much rather spend the extra dough on better transformers, caps, wiring etc.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #3,980 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The connectors will last 50 years easily

Tell that to the cracked-up socket on my SRD-6sb! I suppose it still works fine, but it looks terrible, which in turn helped me get quite a low price. I bet if I gave it another decade of regular plugging and unplugging, it would break. And that would only be 40 years since its introduction, so there.

Oct 31, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #3,981 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell that to the cracked-up socket on my SRD-6sb! I suppose it still works fine, but it looks terrible, which in turn helped me get quite a low price. I bet if I gave it another decade of regular plugging and unplugging, it would break. And that would only be 40 years since its introduction, so there.

You mean, my Omegas will be kaput in about 37 years?
Dang, I've planned to trade them for decent hearing aid then .........

Edit: I've misread it.The sockets tend to break early.The plugs will hopefully last much longer.

Oct 31, 2007 at 7:59 AM Post #3,982 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The sockets can't take any abuse while the plugs are very strong. The sockets will break if you look at the the wrong way...
tongue.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #3,983 of 24,807
Hmm, this is very strange. I just got a SRM-1 MKII Pro-Pro that has a problem. Here are the symptoms:

Turn on amp, keep volume at zero: No buzz
Turn on amp, turn volume (both left and right channel) up: Huge buzz from both left and right past 9 o'clock
Turn on amp, turn volume (left channel only) up: Huge buzz from both left and right past 9 o'clock *not quite sure if it's from both channels; will recheck once I go home
Turn on amp, turn volume (right channel only) up: No buzz
Turn on amp, keep volume at zero, come back 30 minutes later, turn up volume: No buzz

What could be wrong here?
frown.gif

Haha thanks for the help everyone!
Venio

Oct 31, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #3,986 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just bought these from spaceman, with the SRD-7.
lambda.gif
I'll be powering these with my 840A. This will be my first time ever hearing a pair of electrostat headphones. Any of you Stax gods care to share with me what to expect? I have to say, I'm pretty excited.
tongue.gif

Also, whats the difference between the Lambdas and the Lambda Pros?

Wow! You did bite fast...
Congratulations!
biggrin.gif

I am confident that they will give you numerous great listening sessions.
Difference between Lambda and Lambda Pro? Different Bias voltage. Meaning different drivers and connector (5 instead of 6 pin).

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphsci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Qustion for all the Staxen lovers. Do you guys turn off the amp before unplugging the phones? Just curious.

Yes, most of the times. But I don't know if it makes any difference.
In any way, I always turn down the volume before disconnecting/connecting.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #3,987 of 24,807
Good News!
icon10.gif
Stax USA just got their first shippment of the SR-007mk2 from Japan. I will have mine this Friday! I expect my KGSS to also arrive on Friday. I should have fun this weekend listening to the SR-007 & SR-007mk2 on the 007t, 717 & my new (to me) KGSS. Xmas came early this year for me.

Oct 31, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #3,989 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good News!
icon10.gif
Stax USA just got their first shippment of the SR-007mk2 from Japan. I will have mine this Friday! I expect my KGSS to also arrive on Friday. I should have fun this weekend listening to the SR-007 & SR-007mk2 on the 007t, 717 & my new (to me) KGSS. Xmas came early this year for me.

WHERE CAN FIND ONLINE IN STORE MK2
lambda.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #3,990 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHERE CAN FIND ONLINE IN STORE MK2
lambda.gif

I put in my order months ago. I don't know how many the USA received, but they have a lot on order from dealers. I would contact your local dealer and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back