The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 5, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #13,834 of 24,807
[size=medium]
Hello everybody! I recently acquired some SR-303s and an SRM-313. First, let me just say that I am quite pleased. I was using SA5000s - underamped for sure, and instead of just finally buying an amp, I changed things up. I don't pretend to be an experienced reviewer, but sharing never hurt. Things I like, in order:

• These are insanely comfortable. Not 2 weeks ago I thought my sa5k's were very comfortable. Now I get confused when I put them on because it feels like I'm putting them on backwards, or something. They just don't sit naturally. I can't believe how weird they feel now, especially since they felt fine so recently. (side note: is there anything out there more comfortable? omegas?)
  • All of the instruments in a (good) recording can be heard very clearly, and at low volume. I don't ever have to turn up the volume to hear something that's getting drowned out. (I won't say that the sa5k's are worse in this regard - they're probably pretty good if I got them a nice amp, which I probably won't due to #1)
  • There's no 'veil', but the music isn't 'in my head'. You can really feel guitar distortion on my sa5k's, but now I can just hear it sitting right outside my ear. I can very easily hear when the microphones clipped on a vocal, exactly how grainy the guitar amp's distortion is, etc. This isn't distinctly good or bad, but it gives me a new perspective, which I like.
  • There's less harshness - part of this is being 'outside the head', part of it is the warmth (I'm coming from sa5k's, remember), but there are definitely records I can easily listen to that I couldn't stand on my er-4p's / sa5k's. (granted, the things I could stand I really liked - I like the fine line between being bright and harsh)

The only thing I don't like is that they are the ugliest headphones I've ever put on my head. Now that I've gotten that out of the way, a couple questions:

• Is there some digest / index for the 2 stax threads? I've tried searching them (esp on headfi.qix.it), but it's generally, well, a mess. Also, the old thread seems dead, but it's been brought back from the dead - why isn't it locked?
  • What's the deal with the foam? I've read it's not really necessary (search for 'cosmetic'). I've also read it keeps dust out. I've read a lot of things. Need I worry when it falls apart? (as you can see, mine's getting there..)
  • Without the foam, is there anything between my ear and the stator? I can see a black mesh grid (plastic? metal? pictures attached below), but is that it? I'm not planning on keeping my 303s near my huge stash of small pointy things, but I just like to know exactly how fragile these are.

One thought that struck me: if the Lambda design is decades old, why haven't other manufacturers realized such a design is incredibly comfortable? My mind, it is boggled. 

[/size]

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #13,835 of 24,807
sourced, welcome to "team Stax"! :lambda:
The SR-303, like most/all Lambda models, are really great pair of headphones. Comfortable and lightweight as well.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #13,836 of 24,807

Quote:
[size=medium]
Hello everybody! I recently acquired some SR-303s and an SRM-313. First, let me just say that I am quite pleased. I was using SA5000s - underamped for sure, and instead of just finally buying an amp, I changed things up. I don't pretend to be an experienced reviewer, but sharing never hurt. Things I like, in order:

• These are insanely comfortable. Not 2 weeks ago I thought my sa5k's were very comfortable. Now I get confused when I put them on because it feels like I'm putting them on backwards, or something. They just don't sit naturally. I can't believe how weird they feel now, especially since they felt fine so recently. (side note: is there anything out there more comfortable? omegas?)
[/size]

As much as I like the 202/303/404 (I want to buy a pair) the pads are too thin for my ears (they stick out far too much).  In comparison to the Omega 2, I find the Omega 2s are ridiculously comfortable.  Out of all the headphones I've tried/owned, I find them to be the most comfortable.  The supple leather band and pads feel like they're giving my head the most gentle of massages. 

Aug 6, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #13,837 of 24,807

Quote:
I find the Omega 2s are ridiculously comfortable.  Out of all the headphones I've tried/owned, I find them to be the most comfortable.  The supple leather band and pads feel like they're giving my head the most gentle of massages. 

Sigh.. I was afraid/hoping someone would say that. Afraid in that now it's hard to get the idea of buying some omegas, but hoping in that there could be something better than what I have. I suppose I should find someone who owns a pair and try them (maybe this winter - I still need some time to 'hear' what I have, to identify the sound signature, more or less). I'm still wrapping my head around spending that much on headphones (let alone anything).

Aug 6, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #13,838 of 24,807

Quote:
 ​
 ​

[*]
What's the deal with the foam? I've read it's not really necessary (search for 'cosmetic'). I've also read it keeps dust out. I've read a lot of things. Need I worry when it falls apart? (as you can see, mine's getting there..)

[*] Without the foam, is there anything between my ear and the stator? I can see a black mesh grid (plastic? metal? pictures attached below), but is that it? I'm not planning on keeping my 303s near my huge stash of small pointy things, but I just like to know exactly how fragile these are.

​
 ​
If you remove the inner foam you may hear a little more speed and sparkle from the sound, although possibly making the phones too bright.  I believe this foam is  necessary because there is no other dust cover on this side.​
 ​
I recommend removing the foam on the back sides of the drivers.  On my  Lambdas (404, Signature) this much improves the soundfield making it wider and more open sounding.  It also gets rid of a certain amount of mid/high etch in the sound.http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/443060/is-the-stax-lambda-signature-supposed-to-be-damped-on-second-thought-ditch-the-foam-backing-on-all-the-lambdas

Aug 6, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #13,839 of 24,807

Quote:

Sigh.. I was afraid/hoping someone would say that. Afraid in that now it's hard to get the idea of buying some omegas, but hoping in that there could be something better than what I have. I suppose I should find someone who owns a pair and try them (maybe this winter - I still need some time to 'hear' what I have, to identify the sound signature, more or less). I'm still wrapping my head around spending that much on headphones (let alone anything).

fwiw (with exception of the 404LE which are still a bit tight on my head) I actually find my lambdas more comfortable than my SR-007.

Aug 6, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #13,840 of 24,807

Quote:

fwiw (with exception of the 404LE which are still a bit tight on my head) I actually find my lambdas more comfortable than my SR-007.

Yes! Haha I'm still very much in the 'honeymoon period', so it's hard to fathom how anything could best these, but I still like to know what I might like. I'll have to try to pique my curiosity eventually and hear what all the fuss is about with the 007s.

Quote:
If you remove the inner foam you may hear a little more speed and sparkle from the sound, although possibly making the phones too bright.  I believe this foam is  necessary because there is no other dust cover on this side.

I recommend removing the foam on the back sides of the drivers.  On my  Lambdas (404, Signature) this much improves the soundfield making it wider and more open sounding.  It also gets rid of a certain amount of mid/high etch in the sound.

Well I'm not really concerned about these being 'too bright' right now. I'd say that if anything, more brightness wouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the outside foam tip - I might try that someday (although I can't imagine taking these apart anytime soon..).

Also, what do you mean by 'treble etch'? I tried searching for this term and found some references on headwize, but it seems it might've been coined in a darth nut review, but I couldn't find the original (404'd).

Aug 6, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #13,841 of 24,807
A lot of people have complained here about the treble edge. I have owned the 404's before and found them very enjoyable. I may eventually get me another pair.

Aug 7, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #13,842 of 24,807
Aug 7, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #13,844 of 24,807

Quote:
It's not coined in DN's review, but here's a link if you need it.

STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4 Years Of Ownership - Head-Fi.org Community

Quote:
That's the later review, here is the original but people had been talking about the ESP "etch" long before that was posted. 

Hrm. I've read both of those, but neither specifically mentions 'etch'. Am I just being dense here? I apple+f'd and nothing came up. Does having 'treble etch' mean .. WAIT I found it! In 

Stax Signature and Omega 2 Quick Impressions

Quote:
Darth Nut, someone who is a Stax Omega 2 owner , described it this way:

"Treble etch is a very fine metallic texture overlaid on the sound of instruments. The first time I heard it, I thought 'Wow! So much detail!' But actually it wasn't real detail, it was some kind of added texture."

This texture is part of what makes the 4040 sound like a headphone reproducing music, instead of live music. The etch makes the music sound over-detailed, sometimes in the wrong places, a little too forced and a bit artificial. It struck me in my listening that this "extra detail" sometimes makes voices, among probably other things, sound unnatural, too. You can really hear the difference in this respect with the Omega.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #13,845 of 24,807
Taken from the original Stax thread.

Quote:
pipi5867 said:

STAX new product--SR-507 will come in September!
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are some pics  (amp is SRM-600LTD)
and the last pic shows the MSRP will be around USD 1200

So, another Lambda 'phone coming up. Wonder how much this one have in common or differ from the previous models, perhaps especially the SR-404 Limited.
Great news anyhow! :lambda:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back