The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #121 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lloyd297 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry. I'm a bit confused. Didn't you say you used the Jecklin alongside the SR-X?

I did and I do. I forgot to add that I bought a mint SR-X last summer (thanks to the "Long, meandering comparison of Stax 404 and Stax X-III"-thread!). It was like meeting an old friend after so many years etc., etc..
But the Omega pads really top them off, since yesterday. Have to secure those with a bit of glue on the rim of the old pads though, as they tend to slip off.

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #122 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by JecklinStax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did and I do. I forgot to add that I bought a mint SR-X last summer (thanks to the "Long, meandering comparison of Stax 404 and Stax X-III"-thread!). It was like meeting an old friend after so many years etc., etc..
But the Omega pads really top them off, since yesterday. Have to secure those with a bit of glue on the rim of the old pads though, as they tend to slip off.

I'd really like to try my SR-X with Omega pads, I currently have SR5 pads fitted and it sounds better with them, better bass and more coherent as well as comfy. However, at $250 or whatever for the O2 pads it's a little spendy.

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #124 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by JecklinStax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look here:
http://www.audiocubes2.com/category/...rspeakers.html

Yikes, I coulds sworn I'd seen them at over $200! Well, time to get ordering, thanks
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #125 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR-3 NEW is from the same era and they are better in every aspect. Very mellow but they lack the extension of modern stats. Care should be taken not to push them very hard since they are designed for a 200v bias like the SR-1 and they will arc when driven too hard out of a normal bias socket.

I didn't realise the first Staxes used an even lower bias than 230v. Considering the old SRD-1's bias could be cranked up to 400v, that could have made for interesting behaviour. You sure it wasn't just the original SR-3 that was like that? The SR-3N was from 1971, and Stax already had a number of direct-drive 'stat amps available by that stage. Surely they weren't all pumping out 200v biases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Carl, quit teasing and spill the beans. Enquiring minds want to know
biggrin.gif

Was just about to post this myself. C'mon give it up !!

All in good time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smeggy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, even Carl's not that crazy.... or is he? Hmmmmmm
icon10.gif

I am that crazy, I'm just to that rich.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
More likely he finally got himself a Lambda of some kind.

Or maybe a better amp to put behind his illusion box.

Or maybe one of those cryonic frozen 2020 systems.

I just hope its not the TakeT. I want to be first with that one.

Don't worry, I wouldn't deprive you the chance to be the first to get the TakeT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My guess is that it's nothing we'd guess. I'd have wondered if it was maybe an Alpha Pro Excellent if I'd seen any around but I haven't. Of course he may have other sources too so it's still a possibility.

No, the search continues for one of them. I keep loosing bidding wars on the bloody things (they tend to go for quite a bit more than Gamma Pros do).

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:03 PM Post #126 of 24,807
Has anyone made a SRD replacement box using the Lundahl transformers mentioned earlier in this thread? If so how good are they compared to the trans in a SRD?

I did a comparison today between the Lambda vs Lambda Pro vs 404.
Also compared a SRM-1mk2 with a SRA-12s. Will report later.

AudioD

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #127 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone made a SRD replacement box using the Lundahl transformers mentioned earlier in this thread? If so how good are they compared to the trans in a SRD?

Not sure how Lundahls would compare, but the transes in Stax's transformer boxes could be better.

Feb 20, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #129 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't realise the first Staxes used an even lower bias than 230v. Considering the old SRD-1's bias could be cranked up to 400v, that could have made for interesting behaviour. You sure it wasn't just the original SR-3 that was like that? The SR-3N was from 1971, and Stax already had a number of direct-drive 'stat amps available by that stage. Surely they weren't all pumping out 200v biases.

The SR-5 was the first one with the 230v bias. I thought that the SR-3 New was it but the set I picked up this morning had the original manual and it says 200v. I think that the SRD-6 was the first adapter with 230v bias because the manual for the SR-3 New also has a chapter on the SRD-5 and the SRA-3S so I would assume they were also 200v.

Quote:

Originally Posted by audiod /img/forum/go_quote.gif

AudioD

The Lundahls should be a lot better and ISO transformers would be even better but this costs alot. I would like to try the transformers from the ESP9's /E.9 since they are almost twice as big as the Stax ones. The adapter as a whole is a terrible mess of wires and connectors but the transformers could be good.

At first glans it seems that the pin out of the ESP9 is the following with the single pin on top. Top pin is the bias, middle row is the right side + and - and the bottom row is the left + and -. The phase doesn't really matter all that much here but I will make an adapter tomorrow to try it out. If this works then the next project is the Beyer ET1000...
biggrin.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #130 of 24,807
Quote:

The SR-5 was the first one with the 230v bias. I thought that the SR-3 New was it but the set I picked up this morning had the original manual and it says 200v. I think that the SRD-6 was the first adapter with 230v bias because the manual for the SR-3 New also has a chapter on the SRD-5 and the SRA-3S so I would assume they were also 200v.

Interesting. If the SRA-3S is 200v, then that would make all of Stax's tube-based amps 200v also.

Quote:

If this works then the next project is the Beyer ET1000...
biggrin.gif

I want an ET1000, too, so we might end up in a bidding war. Best of luck.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #131 of 24,807
Quote:

Interesting. If the SRA-3S is 200v, then that would make all of Stax's tube-based amps 200v also

I want an ET1000, too, so we might end up in a bidding war. Best of luck.

By all I take it you mean pre T1. According to the SR-3 manual the maximum voltage swing for the SRA-3S is 270v so a 200v bias seems reasonable.

No bidding war here. My set arrived today at the customs office and I can go pick them up when I have time. They didn't come with an adapter but I have already bought a DIN 6 pin socket for them so they will be Staxified...
icon10.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #132 of 24,807
Need Help. I have a Lambda and Lambda Pro. I have been looking for a second Lambda Pro but the used prices for these is out of control. Has anybody compared the SR-202 phone to the Lambda Pro? I am aware that the 202 only comes as a system. I'm not interested in the 303 or 404. I had a 4040 system that I sold a few years ago. I prefered the sound of the Lambda Pro/SRM-1mk2 Pro system.
AudioD

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:17 AM Post #133 of 24,807
Quote:

By all I take it you mean pre T1. According to the SR-3 manual the maximum voltage swing for the SRA-3S is 270v so a 200v bias seems reasonable.

I meant their all-tube amps, not the 3S, T1/006t, and T2.

Quote:

No bidding war here. My set arrived today at the customs office and I can go pick them up when I have time. They didn't come with an adapter but I have already bought a DIN 6 pin socket for them so they will be Staxified...
icon10.gif

Oh bugger, how did that one slip past me. No matter. I'd love to know the correct bias voltage of these.

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #134 of 24,807
Quote:

I would like to try the transformers from the ESP9's /E.9 since they are almost twice as big as the Stax ones. The adapter as a whole is a terrible mess of wires and connectors but the transformers could be good.

At first glans it seems that the pin out of the ESP9 is the following...

spritzer,
I have a spare E/9 energizer that hums, but I'm sure the trans are good. Thanks thats a good idea. Also thanks for the ESP-9 pin out. Do you know the bias voltage on the E/9?

AudioD
lambda.gif

Feb 21, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #135 of 24,807
Quote:

I meant their all-tube amps, not the 3S, T1/006t, and T2.

Ok, now I'll have to find some of the older stuff to try out...
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Oh bugger, how did that one slip past me. No matter. I'd love to know the correct bias voltage of these.

There will always be another one. I'm going to run them out of a normal bias socket. Stax was (and is) the trend setter in this marketplace and almost every body copied from them. Suprex even copied the driver housings down to the last detail. All I know about the ET1000 is that the transformer stepup ratio is 1:25 so the bias should be around 200v.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back