The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2007 at 1:25 PM Post #106 of 24,807
How much of a difference in sound can one expect when you have your Stax Omega 2s hooked into the Stax SRM007t Amp? When it is initially turned on as apposed to when it is on for hours?

Also- Do you have any advice about leaving the SRM007t on while your not at home?

What is the most amount of time you have had the SRM007t on for?

Is there any danger to keeping the SRM007t on for too long?

Thanks Scottsmrnyc

Feb 20, 2007 at 1:45 PM Post #107 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much of a difference in sound can one expect when you have your Stax Omega 2s hooked into the Stax SRM007t Amp? When it is initially turned on as apposed to when it is on for hours?

Also- Do you have any advice about leaving the SRM007t on while your not at home?

Thanks Scottsmrnyc

Others may have more experience here, but my two cents is that vacuum tubes suffer more from being turned on and off than letting them run. No question that my 007tII started sounding better around midnight, either. Now, how much of that was due to them being on for eight hours, and how much was due to the power lines maybe being a little cleaner - I don't know.

As for keeping them on continuosly, I dunno... Maybe turn them off when not using for a few days (if that ever happens!)
lambda.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #108 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Having both an ES-1 and a Blue Hawaii surely can't be legal in Texas. You better move up to Utah, Alex.

Well, he doesn't have a Blue Hawaii just yet (though he did a great job on MINE)... but, having a BH and a McAlister EA-6 at the same time might just squeak under the radar in the Lone Star... just days away, then we will shoot it out for sure. And, as nice as that ES-1 is (sonically perfect, without question in my several hours with it), driving it at 5 o'clock and wanting more was just wrong, for me.

Feb 20, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #109 of 24,807
I went to the customs office and picked up a Koss ESP 9 and a mint Stax SR-3 NEW. The ESP-9 is a beast but they actually fit my head unlike the ESP6. The adapter is stuffed with electronics and to add to the unnecessary circuitry there are caps and resistors inside the cups. The back of the drivers is coverd with cloth and then comes some 1.5cm of foam and then there is a circuit board.

I can't measure the bias because there wasn't a power cord included with them and the socket on the E.9 is some older design I don't have at hand. Running self biased they are very similar to my ESP6, the same bright nature but the midrange is much improved and the bass is fast but woolly. The cable is horrible and very microphonic so it will probably go.

The SR-3 NEW is from the same era and they are better in every aspect. Very mellow but they lack the extension of modern stats. Care should be taken not to push them very hard since they are designed for a 200v bias like the SR-1 and they will arc when driven too hard out of a normal bias socket.

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #110 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottsmrnyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks Scottsmrnyc

I don't have a 007t, but a 006t (2 tubes instead of 4). I leave mine running for extended periods. I have also heard that the heating/cooling cycle (ie turning the tubes on/off) hurts them more than just leaving them on. Hence, my 006t has been left on for more than a few days at a time. It definitely makes a difference to turn it on before listening. I can hear an obvious difference between leaving it on an hour before listening and 'cold starting'. It's just not as smooth.

Feb 20, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #111 of 24,807
Any comments yet about the performance of the McAlister EA-6?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, he doesn't have a Blue Hawaii just yet (though he did a great job on MINE)... but, having a BH and a McAlister EA-6 at the same time might just squeak under the radar in the Lone Star... just days away, then we will shoot it out for sure. And, as nice as that ES-1 is (sonically perfect, without question in my several hours with it), driving it at 5 o'clock and wanting more was just wrong, for me.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #112 of 24,807
None - it's still in Ontario as of today, so it will probably make it to Dallas next week. We'll shoot it out with the BH and ES-1, through a couple of sources, with HE60, OI & OII. Tough work, but someone has to do it.

Product Type: Expedited USA
2007/02/20 08:24 MISSISSAUGA, ON Item accepted and entered into sortation plant

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #118 of 24,807
More likely he finally got himself a Lambda of some kind.

Or maybe a better amp to put behind his illusion box.

Or maybe one of those cryonic frozen 2020 systems.

I just hope its not the TakeT. I want to be first with that one.

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #119 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hehe, I've been wondering what the TakeT would sound like myself. Certainly looks quirky enough for the Duggeh
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #120 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My guess is that it's nothing we'd guess. I'd have wondered if it was maybe an Alpha Pro Excellent if I'd seen any around but I haven't. Of course he may have other sources too so it's still a possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back