The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #8,041 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its a battery operated energizer, with one Stax Pro output. Only available from japan (rumors say its out-of-production), with a price tag of ~$600

It's no rumor, it says that production was ended on the Website. There could however be some floating around Japan that possibly could be bought.

Kai...did you ever get a response back from Vinnie ? We really need someone to come up with a truly transparent adapter.

Sep 9, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #8,042 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's no rumor, it says that production was ended on the Website. There could however be some floating around Japan that possibly could be bought.

I see! My japanese is a bit lacking, hence why I did not catch it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekbmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kai...did you ever get a response back from Vinnie ? We really need someone to come up with a truly transparent adapter.

I have not come as far as sending him an email yet. So no information...
But its on my to-do list

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:52 PM Post #8,043 of 24,807
Hi Guys,

Just got an early srm1/mk-2 dual normal bias connectors and an extension cable. Got a great deal but i've a query. Why would the cable have a 5pin pro connector on the male end (pins) and 6 pin normal/pro conntor on the female end (sockect)? Is this just a pro connector with a weird config or is it a magic cable for converting pro to normal bias?
wink.gif

Listening now but i'll have to let it burn in a while before i do a comparison with the srd-7SBmk2 with the nad amp.

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #8,045 of 24,807
The cable allowed one to use normal and pro bias phones from their respective outlets using just one extension cable. Unfortunately, it also allows you to plug a normal bias phone into a pro bias socket. Don't try this!! I have one of these cables (they are round rather than the later flat ones) and yes - I did plug some normal bias phones into the wrong socket once - lots of squealing for about 1/4 second before I realised what had happened. No audible damage.

Sep 9, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #8,046 of 24,807
I guessed as much, i'll give you a shout tommorrow Sherwood i only picked it up a few hours ago so not sure if i'm going to use it or not - might be moving some of my gear around.

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #8,047 of 24,807
I have two of those cables, iirc. people want to buy them? srsly?

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #8,048 of 24,807
I've scorched the earth looking for ANY extension for my old normal bias, and in three weeks nothing has turned up.

I even thought about DIY, but the 600v requirement has me in a bind.

Sometimes I wanna sit in my nice comfy chair and listen without moving the thing.

That cable would be appropriate for my Lambda Normals, right? It's not electret specific or anything?

Sep 9, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #8,050 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That cable would be appropriate for my Lambda Normals, right? It's not electret specific or anything?

I got one with my SR-80 (+ SRD-4) and one with my SR-Lambda (+ SRD-7). I'm pretty sure they both work the same way.

I should probably consider selling one of them. It's hard to motivate me with small sums of money when i'm making a good salary, though. Maybe if i justify it by thinking that maybe the proceeds will pay for a new pair of pads for the lambda.

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #8,051 of 24,807
Quote:

I've scorched the earth looking for ANY extension for my old normal bias, and in three weeks nothing has turned up.

I even thought about DIY, but the 600v requirement has me in a bind.

Sometimes I wanna sit in my nice comfy chair and listen without moving the thing.

I could loan you mine, but it is not for sale. Maybe you could by a spare from ericj? Let me know.

Larry

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #8,053 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Buchanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did plug some normal bias phones into the wrong socket once - lots of squealing for about 1/4 second before I realised what had happened. No audible damage.

I've done that too... that SR-X was very loud all of a sudden.
icon10.gif

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #8,054 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could loan you mine, but it is not for sale. Maybe you could by a spare from ericj? Let me know.

Larry

Awful kind of you, Larry, but I have the suspicion that coming between you and any normal bias gear is unsafe.

I'll probably just twist Eric's arm. Maybe I'll dangle some orthodynamics in front of him or something. I understand the net effect of nonstandard driver technology on Eric is akin to a cloud of pink smoke drifting in front of Pepe LePew.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #8,055 of 24,807
Quote:

I'll probably just twist Eric's arm. Maybe I'll dangle some orthodynamics in front of him or something. I understand the net effect of nonstandard driver technology on Eric is akin to a cloud of pink smoke drifting in front of Pepe LePew.

There are very few nonstandard driver technologies i don't already own examples of.

Just AMT, back-electret, and plasma, I think. and there are no working plasmasonics around anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back