The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2008 at 8:49 AM Post #4,953 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Still, probably just going to go the amp route at this point.

Here's how it works: you'll get the amp because it's so much more interesting than an attenuator, and because it's cheap and is a sentimental match for the Stax stuff. Then you'll find that in some ways it's much better than your other, much more expensive amp because somehow it just works on the scale of the old Stax-- but at the same time, there will be something you miss in the sound that your other amp gave you in spades, and you can't stop hearing that it's not there. At that point, come back to this thread and tell us about it, and we'll tell you to get a Blue Hawaii.

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:58 AM Post #4,954 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's how it works: you'll get the amp because it's so much more interesting than an attenuator, and because it's cheap and is a sentimental match for the Stax stuff. Then you'll find that in some ways it's much better than your other, much more expensive amp because somehow it just works on the scale of the old Stax-- but at the same time, there will be something you miss in the sound that your other amp gave you in spades, and you can't stop hearing that it's not there. At that point, come back to this thread and tell us about it, and we'll tell you to get a Blue Hawaii.

Nahhh he's going to need a new upgraded BH with much larger CCS and a huge dual mono tube rectified and choke loaded PSU.
tongue.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #4,956 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Omega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is SR-007MK2 comfortable to wear ? What's the fit like compare to Sennheiser HD650 ?

The Mk1 is to me much, much more comfortable. The HD600 is only good after years of use and they still don't disappear like the SR-007. The thick headband and huge earpads make for a very comfy headphone but this is true of nearly every Stax headphone ever made.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #4,958 of 24,807
Quote:

Has SR-007MK2 got that cramp effect when brand new ?

You you mean the clamp effect of the Sennheiser HD's? Then no but the metal arc could use some adjusting to get the right sound as the earpieces do not swivel on an axis like 99% of other headphones. It's easy to though.

Jan 10, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #4,960 of 24,807
Quote:

As long as SR-007MK2 is suitable for smaller heads.
biggrin.gif

You can bend them as you wish and also use it to control the angle of the drivers. It's a customization that actually works as you can have mad bass or nice subtle bass with a full midrange.

Jan 10, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #4,961 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nahhh he's going to need a new upgraded BH with much larger CCS and a huge dual mono tube rectified and choke loaded PSU.
tongue.gif

I like it when you talk dirty!
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #4,962 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downrange /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it when you talk dirty!
biggrin.gif

That's what I do best...
biggrin.gif

Fill that amp with tantalum and Riken resistors, NOS Pio caps in the PSU, Tamura transformers and chokes and top it all off with a 4-gang Alps.RK50....
eek.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #4,963 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's what I do best...
biggrin.gif

Fill that amp with tantalum and Riken resistors, NOS Pio caps in the PSU, Tamura transformers and chokes and top it all off with a 4-gang Alps.RK50....
eek.gif

Thats kinda what I did with my speaker amp
smily_headphones1.gif
Tantalum and Riken resistors, Russian MIL PIO and Elna caps, MIL spec power transformers, but the best part was a MIL spec step volume control. It was laser cut on the diamond composite board. These things cost about 90 rubles each for bulk shipments of 5000 when the factories were buying them from one another in 1970's. My friend got them 10 for $1
biggrin.gif
Now If I can only mobilize him make a BH like amp for me
cool.gif

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #4,964 of 24,807
I own a SR Lambda Pro classic and a Lambda Nova Basic

I prefer the Lambda Pro classic because of the much broader soundstage and larger dynamics. The Lambda Nova Basic is more "in your face" also the sound is less stereo than the pro -classsic, the Basic has a larger mid area and is slightly more detailed.

I am thinking about replacing the Nova Basic (diaphragm thickness 2 micron) with another Lambda (f.e. a signature or 404 or a nova classic /sig.) Which Lambda will be something like my pro classic and is more detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back