The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #24,271 of 24,807
Lol wasn't that the Lambda Signature and SRM212 driver?

You out-offered me XD. Was it you with the $613? 

I offered $550 
size]

It was $620 even. $550 would probably have been smarter, lol.

It’s a lambda sig pro with 212, yeah

Oh yeah, also comes with a stax extension cord. Might have been why I offered over $600. who knows? :p

Aug 4, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #24,272 of 24,807
Quote:
It was $620 even. $550 would probably have been smarter, lol.

It’s a lambda sig pro with 212, yeah

Oh yeah, also comes with a stax extension cord. Might have been why I offered over $600. who knows? :p

In any case, if you don't like it.. 
size]

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #24,274 of 24,807
Quote:

They worked/sounded the same with their N1000 "energizer" as they do with the SRM-T1.... which is to say, flaky.

Tried another pair of ET-1000's on the N1000, and they sounded OK, so the N1000 is good.  

Guess I'll just have to give up on the ET1000's.

If the ET-1000 is a basically a write off then try recoating the diaphragms. 

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #24,275 of 24,807
Quote:
So a few days ago I made an offer on ebay for a Lambda classic pro and SRM 212 driver. Impulsive thing to do as I didn’t think I’d get it but it looks like my offer was accepted. I probably overpaid, lol. Around $600 for the pair. I don’t even know if I’ll be using this setup as I really like my HE500 now. sigh.

Anyway, has anyone heard the Lambda Pro out of the little 212 driver? Can I get a little heads up as to how the Lambda Pro will sound out of it? Is it a particularly weak combo with the 212? Or is kinda close to how it might sound out of, say, an old SRM-1?

thanks.

I have a feeling an underdriven lambda sig will sound quite bad, being edgy and forward with flabby bass. It's just a feeling. The T1 really does wonders in my opinion. I feel like I get the best out of them, but who knows with those 2000+ amps out there...
Ohh, to T1/sig owners out there. What's your volume setting?

Aug 4, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #24,276 of 24,807
I have both, the combination of signature and srm 212 sound very good and the amp have enough power only the bass is a little bit to less. The srm-t1 is the better amp for the signatures and the perfect combo.

Volume setting signature + srm-t1 is 4,5 or 11:30 on clock.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #24,277 of 24,807
Thanks for the comments. I did some searching and it seems other people have agreed that the 212 doesn’t kill the Lambda sound. That’s nice to know.

Anyone else who has heard the 212 with lambdas, feel free to add. I’m quite curious.

Aug 4, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #24,278 of 24,807
Quote:
Welcome back from lurking! :)

Did the channel imbalance happen out of the blue? Just so you know, I had a 404 Sig also develop channel imbalance with the left side being quieter to the right but I ended up selling it as repairs for it was just not worth it and it is impossible to buy spare transducers from anywhere else except the NSW Stax distributor which I got in contact with to get a quote, to me the fix was just not worth it at all. (BTW all other distributors from UK and USA don't stock 404 drivers). The same applies to the 303.

Here's the response from Nathan from AudioMarketing, Australia's Stax distributor.

So all in all, it is a better option to part the current 404 and buy another one or you can wait for someone to rock up with a pair of spare driver or beat up 404 so you can fix it yourself, but your luck is whim.

Do contact me if you're parting, I will be interested.

Yep I signed up years ago but haven't really had a good look through the forums. I'm not really a headphone freak but am a bit of a hifi nerd, and I love Stax, not just their earspeaker setups but their crazy old amps too.

On Audio Marketing, What? I contacted them a month or two back and was quoted something like $800 for a pair of diaphragms. Do they have a selective pricing strategy? 

Someone else did the damage to these 404's, going by an indentation on the ear-side mesh I think they've taken a physical hit. The damaged side still works but is making maybe half the output compared to the fully working side, and with a distorted bass. My guess is that the stator is bent in towards the diaphragm. The frames and pads are still in good nick so I thought it might be worth getting a replacement diaphragm. I'll keep my eyes open for spares, otherwise I'll let you know if I lose patience...

If you still had your 404s we could have split a pair of new diaphragms, one of us taking the new pair and one the used. Although if I can find a parts pair it still might be cheaper than that approach.

Aug 4, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #24,279 of 24,807
@LCFiner: The Lambda Pro sound just ok out of the basic Stax amps. Srm Xh/212/252/253 and Xs with bias supply repopulated. The Lambda Pros were originally sold by Stax with the SRD 7db mk2 and the SRM1 MK2. The Stax basic amps is nothing to write home about.

Yep I signed up years ago but haven't really had a good look through the forums. I'm not really a headphone freak but am a bit of a hifi nerd, and I love Stax, not just their earspeaker setups but their crazy old amps too.

On Audio Marketing, What? I contacted them a month or two back and was quoted something like $800 for a pair of diaphragms. Do they have a selective pricing strategy? 

Someone else did the damage to these 404's, going by an indentation on the ear-side mesh I think they've taken a physical hit. The damaged side still works but is making maybe half the output compared to the fully working side, and with a distorted bass. My guess is that the stator is bent in towards the diaphragm. The frames and pads are still in good nick so I thought it might be worth getting a replacement diaphragm. I'll keep my eyes open for spares, otherwise I'll let you know if I lose patience...

If you still had your 404s we could have split a pair of new diaphragms, one of us taking the new pair and one the used. Although if I can find a parts pair it still might be cheaper than that approach.

$800? Thats a rip off to be honest but it may be because I've gotten alot quotes through AM at the sametime. Yeah the 404's I sold had a imbalanced left side also had it the mesh slightly pushed in which I ended up fixing, played fine then imbalance out of the blue then I sold it for $200 shipped to a buyer in Denmark. It was in mint condition, so I then bought another 404 Sig with org box. Its fun and detailed sounding headphone out the 323S amp so its something to stay in my stable.

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #24,280 of 24,807
Quote:
@LCFiner: The Lambda Pro sound just ok out of the basic Stax amps. Srm Xh/212/252/253 and Xs with bias supply repopulated. The Lambda Pros were originally sold by Stax with the SRD 7db mk2 and the SRM1 MK2. The Stax basic amps is nothing to write home about.

I think it is the lambda sig he is talking about?

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #24,281 of 24,807
Quote:
 Yeah the 404's I sold had a imbalanced left side also had it the mesh slightly pushed in which I ended up fixing, played fine then imbalance out of the blue then I sold it for $200 shipped to a buyer in Denmark. It was in mint condition, so I then bought another 404 Sig with org box. Its fun and detailed sounding headphone out the 323S amp so its something to stay in my stable.

Yea, that imbalance just keeps coming back...

Aug 4, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #24,283 of 24,807
Quote:
Yeah, it's the signature. The ad called them "signature pro" which looks like is a containing name. As the sig and pro were different headphones.

But the pics are of the sig. Seller just meant pro bias instead of standard bias, I think.

Think you are right about that.

Don't want to annoy you even further, but I got my system for (sig and t1) for the same price as you paid... Point is, you might have paid a bit too much. My system isn't exactly mint, though (broken headband/arc, glued together)

Aug 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #24,285 of 24,807
Made some kinda contract with the devil?

Does your lambda sigs/pros have this particular old electronics smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back