The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #23,926 of 24,807
Quote:
So I ask for the third time now, will this work?
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_203036_-1

12 V
18 W
Center negative
AC-DC unregulated linear

I'm expecting an answer other than from DefQon since he already answered it.

And also for the third time here, will this work?
http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/product_info.php?category_id=10016468&products_id=10061420

And I recently found this. Will this work?
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/sacom/item/1372935/

Again, y'all say don't use X, but then you don't give any recommendations otherwise. Y'all say don't use X, but you don't say why, nor what will happen. I just tried the 100 V thing and nothing noticeably bad happened. I contacted the person in Japan whom I bought the SRS-2170 from and I received the reply:

I'd say any of the transformers would work with the Jap DC power supply.

With regard to getting better power to the SRM-252 directly, you need to match it to the specs of the amp. It says 12V/4Watts... i.e. current should be ~330mA. So look for a power adapter that fits those specs with the right size jack and polarity. Why limit yourself to a certain brand/model when those guidelines give you enough to pick from various models?

The reason why folks are steering you to a regulated linear power supply is because it's just better quality (and it should be more expensive). The better the quality of the power supply the less the regulators in that tiny amp will need to work (so it'll last longer). By running more voltage into the 252 you're just shortening the life of the silicon in there. 

No one is probably going to give you a model and brand because they can't stand by it and say it'll work unless they own one. 

Jul 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #23,928 of 24,807
MiceBlue-IF the center is negative- recommended for that product [invented by companies originally to stop customers using other power supplies - reversing the standard center positive] then Jameco is the one to go-GOOD company . Its got the lot=transformer and 1 amp at 100V =100W its not regulated but as I said in another post[after an argument with another poster] the over voltage does NOT matter as it is only some milliamps which will NOT blow any equipment that it is recommended for[voltage wise] if it did they would be out of business long ago with both the government closing them down [breaking international electrical laws] and customers suing them

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #23,929 of 24,807
Quote:
I'd say any of the transformers would work with the Jap DC power supply.

With regard to getting better power to the SRM-252 directly, you need to match it to the specs of the amp. It says 12V/4Watts... i.e. current should be ~330mA. So look for a power adapter that fits those specs with the right size jack and polarity. Why limit yourself to a certain brand/model when those guidelines give you enough to pick from various models?

The reason why folks are steering you to a regulated linear power supply is because it's just better quality (and it should be more expensive). The better the quality of the power supply the less the regulators in that tiny amp will need to work (so it'll last longer). By running more voltage into the 252 you're just shortening the life of the silicon in there. 

No one is probably going to give you a model and brand because they can't stand by it and say it'll work unless they own one. 

Mmk. I ordered the Kashimura TI-101 transformer earlier this week.

The reason why I was picking a linear one was because mechgamer123 bought a 12 V, 0.5 A(?) wall wart and it made strange noises with the SRM-252S. Because of that, people said to buy linear ones and I've been looking for one ever since.

Quote:
Why are you making this so complicated?  Your questions have been answered over and over...  Why do you insist on using a PSU rated for 100V when you know you've got US voltages?

Here... this will work fine, I've used it for a few years in the US.  

Radio Shack
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807944 (You can probably find the same model on Amazon cheaper, 273-358.)
And this http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3807940&locale=en_US (Make sure you plug the adapter in for the right polarity, it's marked on the amp)

If you go to a retail store you might even find one that comes with a selection of tips.  

I'll have to check the local Radio Shack to see if they have those components. The adapter just reverses the polarity? The description isn't very clear to me.

Quote:
Quote:
That...took forever to process and upload to YouTube. >_<

Nice miceblue I enjoyed it. I skipped over some of the boring parts, but I like how thorough you were.

Did you get yours through Price Japan? What was wait time after you paid? Did you go DHL or EMS shipping?

I actually ordered it from eBay. It was marked as a new product and it was shipped from Japan via EMS. I paid ~$620 for it and it took 5 days to arrive at my house.

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #23,931 of 24,807
Quote:
Once you get this whole adapter thing figured out miceblue please let me know as well, because I'm just as confused as you. LOL.

Same here 
redface.gif

Quite interesting to see a sudden surge of interest in the 2170 system lately. If they sound good (my friend does have a voltage transformer he can use until this power supply thing gets figured out) then I may even go ahead and get 'em myself, the price from Japan is great these days.

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #23,932 of 24,807
Yes.  The adapter has two pins and can plug in only two ways.  You look at the diagram on the amp and match how you plug the adapter in to make sure the polarity is right.  There will be directions that come with the PSU and adapter.  It's really easy.

It will look something like this (NOTE THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE, it's not from the Amp):

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #23,933 of 24,807
Maybe I didn't put this plain enough=Jameco--US 120/25 V PRIMARY   transformer using a transformer-NOT a SMPS OUTPUTTING- SECONDARY =12V at 1.5 AMPS . Their products are MADE in the USA! Does anything else need to be said!

Jul 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #23,935 of 24,807
Tell me shipsupt WHY cant people read what I post ?? Is it the new teaching methods that are a complete failure in the UK--As you should know living here. Leaving school unable to read or write- All down to politically correct methods which have been a COMPLETE failure here. No learning by rote Times tables / alphabet .verbs nouns etc. I am not blaming the students only the system -which has failed-even Cameron admits that. If people cant read what I post then they cant read newspapers etc.Its ALL in English.

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #23,936 of 24,807
Quote:
Tell me shipsupt WHY cant people read what I post ?? Is it the new teaching methods that are a complete failure in the UK--As you should know living here. Leaving school unable to read or write- All down to politically correct methods which have been a COMPLETE failure here. No learning by rote Times tables / alphabet .verbs nouns etc. I am not blaming the students only the system -which has failed-even Cameron admits that. If people cant read what I post then they cant read newspapers etc.Its ALL in English.

Here's why:

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #23,937 of 24,807
I can't really say.  I'm a yank living the UK.  I didn't go to school here.

Seems the boys here now have several good options now for their power supplies and adapters.  Hopefully they can enjoy their STAX soon without worrying so much!  

Jul 26, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #23,938 of 24,807
So tus-chan- they cant read my posts because I don't hit a  key?  The words are spaced as in a newspaper they are separate.But they still don't understand English?? If that was the case  they couldn't reply as they wouldn't know what I said. I have no intention of conforming to somebodies philosophy or set of rules by force. It just makes me combative.

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #23,939 of 24,807
Wow, apparently the 2170 system has just arrived at my friend's house 
eek.gif
  It's only been like 6 days since the payment was made. Those PriceJapan guys sure are fast!

Will be going over to his house tonight to do some listening... looking forward to hearing how the Stax basic system sounds like 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 26, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #23,940 of 24,807
Quote:
Wow, apparently the 2170 system has just arrived at my friend's house 
eek.gif
  It's only been like 6 days since the payment was made. Those PriceJapan guys sure are fast!

Will be going over to his house tonight to do some listening... looking forward to hearing how the Stax basic system sounds like 
smily_headphones1.gif

popcorn.gif
 Let us know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back