The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #23,701 of 24,807
Quote:
I'm currently ruining the amp by plugging it in directly. :)

What  does that do? Never heard of an ED before.

I believe a diffuse field equaliser tries to mimic the sensation of listening to a pair of speakers. The ED-5 was made to be paired with the SR-5 headphones. JohnBuchanan posts about diffuse field equalisation here but it just goes over my head...

With your 202s I was going to suggest that perhaps the spring was missing but I just had a quick look and it appears the new arcs dont have a spring?? As a temporary fix you could maybe stick a length of scotch tape on the rail on which it slides too much - this should be reversible. Or maybe paint the inside of the rail with a thin layer of, say, clear nail polish if you've got some with you (non-reversible). Please note I havent tried any of this stuff before, so yeh. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #23,702 of 24,807
Quote:

Depends on which type of stock pad you started off with; I believe the earlier SR-202s came with thicker pads than the later ones.

The earlier 202's did indeed come with thicker/denser foamed pads that came with the vintage Lambda line. My 202's S/N B1381 came with them. But I ended up swapping it out for the newer 202 pads because one of the pads had a small tiny puncture.

Quote:
Hmm, it seems to be bugged. Defective. As much as I tighten it, it still slides up with ease.

Post some pictures.

Quote:
If anyone's got an SR5 there's this reasonably rare thing on fleabay

Was going to bid on those but the quote DHL shipping to Aus is not cheap at all. Not to mention I don't have the SRD-6 to match with my SR-5's.

Jul 20, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #23,704 of 24,807
Quote:
The earlier 202's did indeed come with thicker/denser foamed pads that came with the vintage Lambda line. My 202's S/N B1381 came with them. But I ended up swapping it out for the newer 202 pads because one of the pads had a small tiny puncture.

Which do you find more comfortable? I like the older style pads.

Jul 21, 2013 at 12:58 AM Post #23,706 of 24,807
Heh, I actually just finished rewatching Madoka for the 3rd time today! :3

Ah okay, that makes sense that you went into speaker land instead of directly upgrading to the 009. 
And wow, orders to Korea from the Air Force... Good luck man!
[rule]In other news, I just got the SR-507 pads for my SR-202s from a friend in Japan for 5k yen off Amazon jp. I'm not going to blow smoke out my arse and say they sound 10000000x better than the stock pads, but they needed to be changed and these definitely fit the bill.

Depends on which type of stock pad you started off with; I believe the earlier SR-202s came with thicker pads than the later ones.

Even though ingot the 2020 system, I believe they were the newer pads. I didn't really notice a difference in thickness.
I might just pay someone to make me some nice thick pads in the future :p

Jul 21, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #23,707 of 24,807
Quote:
I tried--www.data sheet archive for Sanken but its mainly a on line equivalent book - DO NOT BUY from VETCO!!!- no manufacturer in their right mind would produce as long a list of equivalents as on that website must be a retailer.-Just scrolling through some ""equivalents" shows differences in bandwidth/gain /speed/ and capacitance/etc some would definitely make your amp unstable. Quality equivalent book companies have maybe 4 or five -CLOSE equivalents.Elcodis is very near but leaves out bandwidth and speed and check gain.That's why I bought German equivalent books- The German mind  in engineering is "right on the money" they "get it right" its like a religion for them it would be a "disgrace" if they got any type of engineering wrong.---2SC594--= in German book=60V- 0.2A-0.75W-30/280NS[that means its for high frequency use] so in its day it was and still is a GOOD quality component--remember equivalents might not have the same speed.In my English equivalents book--2SC594=the SAME as the German book BUT beware after the transistor number there are letters -R-Y-O--do NOT buy these as these have LOWER gain than the basic 594 --- 2SC1828=800V-1A-40W-7MHZ[German book]-English book-=same except-4MHZ bandwidth-bias-200MA .Still shocked at that company above. People post on this website to gain information and help. They arent helping anyone.Just trying to up the profit$$$.

Sorry I meant 2SD594 not 2SC594. 

I found a Sanken 2SC1828 but looks to be TO-220 form factor rather than TO-66. I've shot a message to the seller to confirm if genuine Sanken and a drop replacement (wiring appropriately to the right legs) would suffice.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290942052031

So far, no luck on 2SD594's.

:frowning2:

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #23,708 of 24,807
Quote:
Blowing smoke out of your arse aye? Takes effort.

...AND  control!  
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM Post #23,711 of 24,807
Cris J -Have I ever heard of components damaged by static--??????-ARE YOU KIDDING??? I have a COMPLETE static free layout for an industrial workbench including for the top to work on and on the floor static mat under the bench Been using it for 30 years!! I will repeat  as you dont get it the VERY small amount of current that makes a unregulated power supply measure over voltage does NOT constitute enough for causing damage to equipment. If you were right this World would be full of claims by users that--"the UNREGULATED SUPPLY--BLEW MY EQUIPMENT- I dont know what power supplies you are used to but I have been building them since 1961 and have NEVER blown equipment. Its possible shady dealers are selling DEFECTIVE power supplies now a days but they wont last long in business as there are Worldwide  INTERNATIONAL LAWS on the standard of  power supplies and that includes NON-REGULATED. 

Sorry man, but your earlier statement implied that it's OK to use an unregulated power supply designed for 100 Vac primary on a 120 Vac sourcd with an SRM-252S.

I'm with KG and Spritzer on this one:
I'm going to stick with the 120 Vac supply I received with SRS-2170.
A good alternative would be a regulated 12 Vdc supply with a 120 Vac input.

And yes I do have experience with CSA, UL, CE and SMPS thank you very much.

Jul 21, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #23,712 of 24,807
DefQon-Spent about an hour searching for -2SD594-obsolete! I checked UK companies and US BUT my equivalent books list ONE equivalent  and lucky enough its American=2N5013- it that or nothing but it is very close to the spec of 2SD594. Can be bought from=SSDI .com[solid state devices 14830 valley view blvd la Miranda CA} Hope they aren't sold out. This bjt-" SD594 was used in early transistorized TVs and some other high voltage applications[now obsolete] So manufacturers don't think its viable produce them.Best of luck with the  2N5013. --Just add the 2SC1828 in new form should be okay if a company changed the build spec.  to more modern spec.  it always kept the spec. of the electrical characteristics the same as manufacturers ordered them in their thousands for their equipment which was a good seller they did not want to incur more finance by redesigning the electrical circuit so it should be identical.to the old shape spec.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #23,714 of 24,807
Quote:
Not sure about that, but the ED-1's for the Lambda Pro's was designed to make the Lambda Pro's produce a more flatter response.

It was actually designed to bend the frequency responses of the SR5 (ED-5), Lambda Pro (ED-1) and Lambda Signature (ED-Signature) to a target frequency response, not a measured flat response.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:57 PM Post #23,715 of 24,807
Question: How does output current relate to electrostatic headphones? I know in dynamics, voltage is essentially volume and current is like torque, but I have no idea how those concepts translate to electrostats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back