The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #23,686 of 24,807
Quote:
Definitely.

I am a treble-head tho.
FWIW, the Stax expert Spritzer likes it too.
I own all three of the mid-fi stats that I just mentioned.
The Koss is tilted more torwards the midrange, the Stax 407 is sublime. Great balance.

I am sorry - as much as I would like to own a SR-009, it is a wallet breaker for me.
frown.gif

Same here, still rocking the SR507, it's a wonderful stat! And the 006TS is perfect for it. But of course for less money you can be a proud owner of vintage stax. Proud of course because when you get it to work you are Lucky.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #23,687 of 24,807
The unregulated power supply worry about over voltage is mostly unfounded as although you measure over voltage that voltage is mainly the stored energy in the  output smoothing cap.and amounts to very little current not enough to blow fuses or destroy an amp.
Having said that I only use fully regulated supplies for "peace of mind" and a MUCH LOWER ripple current-thats where regulation[by a quality supply] beats unregulated.

Your note about the unregulated power supply makes no sense.
There is always the potential to damage Electrical components from overvoltage.
Have you ever heard of ICs being damaged by static electricity, for example?

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #23,688 of 24,807
Cris J -Have I ever heard of components damaged by static--??????-ARE YOU KIDDING??? I have a COMPLETE static free layout for an industrial workbench including for the top to work on and on the floor static mat under the bench Been using it for 30 years!! I will repeat  as you dont get it the VERY small amount of current that makes a unregulated power supply measure over voltage does NOT constitute enough for causing damage to equipment. If you were right this World would be full of claims by users that--"the UNREGULATED SUPPLY--BLEW MY EQUIPMENT- I dont know what power supplies you are used to but I have been building them since 1961 and have NEVER blown equipment. Its possible shady dealers are selling DEFECTIVE power supplies now a days but they wont last long in business as there are Worldwide  INTERNATIONAL LAWS on the standard of  power supplies and that includes NON-REGULATED. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #23,689 of 24,807
Ill be joining the stax team soon enough! I'm buying GeorgeP's old KGSSHV off him since he finished his DIY T2. I got my deposit in for a pair of Sr-009s at price Japan to get in line, and I ordered a pair of Sr-307s from them as we'll to use while I wait for the 009s. I know I couldn't bare having an amazing electrostat amp sitting on my desk with no headphones to use with it

Wow, nice Mami avatar!
-Insert shameless plug for the anime thread here-
That's quite an upgrade from the HD598 to the SR-009! :eek:

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #23,690 of 24,807
Finally got my 202s today.

One side kind of slides whenever I wear it though. Is it possible to lock the position of the headband adjusters?

Jul 20, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #23,691 of 24,807
Wow, nice Mami avatar!
That's quite an upgrade from the HD598 to the SR-009! :eek:

Haha thanks! It's probably my favorite Mami pic :p

Yeah the 009s were a headphone I always knew I had to have. And then I got out of headphones for speakers, but now I got orders to Korea so I need headphones again, so of course I'm going with the 009s, it was love at first listen for me with them...

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #23,693 of 24,807
Quote:
Quote:
Wow, nice Mami avatar!
That's quite an upgrade from the HD598 to the SR-009!
eek.gif

Haha thanks! It's probably my favorite Mami pic :p

Yeah the 009s were a headphone I always knew I had to have. And then I got out of headphones for speakers, but now I got orders to Korea so I need headphones again, so of course I'm going with the 009s, it was love at first listen for me with them...

Heh, I actually just finished rewatching Madoka for the 3rd time today! :3

Ah okay, that makes sense that you went into speaker land instead of directly upgrading to the 009. 
And wow, orders to Korea from the Air Force... Good luck man!

In other news, I just got the SR-507 pads for my SR-202s from a friend in Japan for 5k yen off Amazon jp. I'm not going to blow smoke out my arse and say they sound 10000000x better than the stock pads, but they needed to be changed and these definitely fit the bill.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #23,695 of 24,807
Quote:
There is a screw that secures a spring loaded latch which slides inside locking the headband in place. Tighten that screw with the correct tipped screwdriver, but not too tight.

Hmm, it seems to be bugged. Defective. As much as I tighten it, it still slides up with ease.
Quote:

Ah okay, that makes sense that you went into speaker land instead of directly upgrading to the 009. 

In other news, I just got the SR-507 pads for my SR-202s from a friend in Japan for 5k yen off Amazon jp. I'm not going to blow smoke out my arse and say they sound 10000000x better than the stock pads, but they needed to be changed and these definitely fit the bill.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #23,696 of 24,807
Quote:

Depends on which type of stock pad you started off with; I believe the earlier SR-202s came with thicker pads than the later ones.

Jul 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #23,697 of 24,807
And the Older Lambda style pads are even thicker. 

As much as I love the feel of the leather pads, the constant pressure of the drivers on my ears just can't stand it. 

The vintage pads defintitely give slightly more earoom. although my ears still touch the drivers. However, the pain is more bearable now.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #23,698 of 24,807
Quote:
And the Older Lambda style pads are even thicker. 

As much as I love the feel of the leather pads, the constant pressure of the drivers on my ears just can't stand it. 

The vintage pads defintitely give slightly more earoom. although my ears still touch the drivers. However, the pain is more bearable now.

What are you using for the amp? As in 120 V vs 100 V differences?

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #23,700 of 24,807
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back