The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 15, 2013 at 7:48 AM Post #22,981 of 24,807
As a first-time electrostatic owner without a manual, can someone confirm or supplement my researched basic list of do's and don'ts:

DO set the energizer/amplifier to 0 before switching on/off or unplugging/replugging the earspeakers
DO short out the pins with your fingers to discharge the earspeakers each time you unplug/replug them for prolonged non-use
DON'T allow the earspeakers to accumulate dust
DO keep the earspeakers covered in a dust cover or otherwise protected from moisture or dust when in storage or not in use
DON'T use the earspeakers near any form of moisture*

*I have once noticed problems with my energizer/amplifier's warning light going berserk when I once put the earspeakers on with slightly damp hair (made sure to set to 0 and switch off immediately to avoid stator damage), but I have also noticed this when the only form of moisture present was the condensation of a water bottle over three feet away. I understand not using electrostatics after a shower, but are they really that sensitive to so much as the condensation of a relatively close object?

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #22,982 of 24,807
Quote:
DO set the energizer to 0 before switching on/off or unplugging/replugging the earspeakers

I haven't come across any energizers that you can set to 0 nor requiring a switch to turning on or off, at least none of mine have that except I think the SRD-7 need's to be powered externally. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #22,983 of 24,807
Quote:
As a first-time electrostatic owner without a manual, can someone confirm or supplement my researched basic list of do's and don'ts:

DO short out the pins with your fingers to discharge the earspeakers each time you unplug/replug them for prolonged non-use

My manual says nothing about that.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #22,984 of 24,807
Out of interest, how hot to the touch is a Stax amp supposed to be/can be before it becomes too hot? Personally I have found an ingenious solution for cooling it, which means it is mostly just nicely warm-ish/ lukewarm.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #22,985 of 24,807
Quote:
Out of interest, how hot to the touch is a Stax amp supposed to be/can be before it becomes too hot? Personally I have found an ingenious solution for cooling it, which means it is mostly just nicely warm-ish/ lukewarm.

I keep mine in the refrigerator. It is always very cool. 

PS. Don't try the freezer. You may damage your amp. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #22,986 of 24,807
Quote:

I keep mine in the refrigerator. It is always very cool. 

PS. Don't try the freezer. You may damage your amp. 

I hope that's a joke 
size]

Maybe I should put it inside my computer and have the volume pot and etc. at hard disk bays and get an extra fan. See, that would be cool (pun intended).

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #22,987 of 24,807
Quote:

whats your ingenious solution? I have the F3 that normally tends to run warm. It is normal for it to do that but if you have some cool trick, please share.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #22,988 of 24,807
Quote:
whats your ingenious solution? I have the F3 that normally tends to run warm. It is normal for it to do that but if you have some cool trick, please share.

Nahh, it's just that I have been removing some plating form my pc cabinet, so that the exhaust air from it will go upwards out on the top of the case where my amp is. Thinking about getting a fan or two to have beneath the amp. Before it could run so hot, that it hurt keeping my hand on the amp.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #22,989 of 24,807
Quote:
DO set the energizer/amplifier to 0 before switching on/off or unplugging/replugging the earspeakers Good habit, but I sometimes plug in the earspeakers with the amp running, not at 0, and nothing bad happens.
DO short out the pins with your fingers to discharge the earspeakers each time you unplug/replug them for prolonged non-use I do this, but I don't think it's necessary.
DON'T allow the earspeakers to accumulate dust Good habit to keep them under a dust cover, but Staxen have good internal dust covers, so you should be fine without an extra plastic back or similar.
DO keep the earspeakers covered in a dust cover or otherwise protected from moisture or dust when in storage or not in use See above.
DON'T use the earspeakers near any form of moisture* I have listened to them with damp hair on many occasions, and nothing bad happens. I have never had any problems with humidity and Stax. In my experience they're not that sensitive as you experienced.

*I have once noticed problems with my energizer/amplifier's warning light going berserk when I once put the earspeakers on with slightly damp hair (made sure to set to 0 and switch off immediately to avoid stator damage), but I have also noticed this when the only form of moisture present was the condensation of a water bottle over three feet away. I understand not using electrostatics after a shower, but are they really that sensitive to so much as the condensation of a relatively close object?

For a SRM-T1 it is normal that it gets quite hot, especially in the summer. After all, there are tubes inside. I remember that my T1 got so hot that I could barely keep my hand on the case for a while. I think cooling it actively is not really necessary, but can't hurt and may prolong the life of some of the components.
Quote:
Nahh, it's just that I have been removing some plating form my pc cabinet, so that the exhaust air from it will go upwards out on the top of the case where my amp is. Thinking about getting a fan or two to have beneath the amp. Before it could run so hot, that it hurt keeping my hand on the amp.

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #22,990 of 24,807
About humidity.. The drivers are hermetically sealed, right?

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #22,992 of 24,807
Quote:
You'd really think someone would have gone into the KGSSHV building business by now, they'd make a killing 
biggrin.gif

cough spritzer cough

Now what would be fun in that... 
redface.gif
  I will sell some HV's in the future but that's only because I have to beta test the new PCB's.  For heavens sake don't ask me about them though, that's just a good way to make me angry... 
devil_face.gif

There is also a pile of HV boards on a desk here somewhere that need to be tested.  Somebody else built these and we bought them to get them off the streets and to see just how the design fairs when somebody with no skill or even brain activity tries to build it.  The results were shocking... 

Even after fixing the PSU's one rail blew up in my face and now I have to build a brand new one.  It's a pretty awesome sight to see 600VDC short to ground in an instant and burn off the traces. 

Jun 15, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #22,993 of 24,807
I've never done anything special with my 007t amps (or my long ago T1W amp). And they run relatively cool for tube amps. I like that I can sit right next to them and they don't create ambient heat.
They seem quite robust and don't seem to need any special care over the 14 years I've had them. I've never needed service or needed a new tube even. I've never even opened the cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back