The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #21,196 of 24,807
Quote:

If it's worth anything, I think my KGSSHV>modded 007A sounds great even from an iPhone. 
size]

Thank you for the responses; I picked up some AT audio cables and am running the STAX through my Fostex A7 DAC--the sound is better, and probably could be improved much more, but for the time being, I'm happy to be able to improve the sound with stuff I've got already, so thank you--

Feb 26, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #21,197 of 24,807
Oh god, how did Andy get out of the Member's Lounge 
angry_face.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #21,198 of 24,807
Quote:
Do u guys know how to remove the earpads on 009 ? And how warm should the Soldering iron be for recabling the 009's ?..

Im just trying to join the Stax mafia here 
cool.gif

I may have missed, but why are you trying to re-cable the 009s?

Quote:
I will soon(4weeks) get this amp and test it with Stax Omega II mk1 and Stax Lambda pro and i will test it also with Sennheiser HD-800
Not sure but i heard that you can order it also with the new Jecklin Float QA connections

High voltage 800V for Stax
12W for other phones
popcorn.gif

Interesting. Pity all the headphone jacks are at the back. That would be highly annoying to deal with.

Quote:
Does anyone have experience with the Luxman DA-100 DAC used with STAX systems?  Is this far too low grade a DAC?

As much as I love Luxman, I think they totally lost the plot with the DA-100 and DA-200. Two of the worst-sounding DACs I've ever tried. I honestly think that the only thing they do is make their D-0X SACD/DAC range sound good (and I don't like those either).

Quote:

Is it April 1st already? 
wink_face.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #21,199 of 24,807
@eke2k6

I will soon(4weeks) get this amp and test it with Stax Omega II mk1 and Stax Lambda pro and i will test it also with Sennheiser HD-800
Not sure but i heard that you can order it also with the new Jecklin Float QA connections

High voltage 800V for Stax
12W for other phones
popcorn.gif

As for the opticals it looks interesting, but this one requires at least an extension cable to make the listening possible without giving it a kiss. By the way, what's with the switching-psu stuff?
            ▼              ▼                ▼

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #21,201 of 24,807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeske88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the opticals it looks interesting, but this one requires at least an extension cable to make the listening possible without giving it a kiss. By the way, what's with the switching-psu stuff?
            ▼              ▼                ▼

No way to cram a linear PSU in a chassis this small.  I do wonder how they tackled the output tube heaters though.  One supply for everything would be bad, very bad... 

Feb 27, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #21,202 of 24,807
Quote:

Hey, does anyone know where to get those Neutrik Stax jacks? I'm building an amp with a very thick front panel, and those look like they'd be easier to work with than the teflon jacks.
Is it even safe to use that Neutrik jack for Stax? It looks like the metal panel could easily short the pins if the anodizing gets scratched.

Feb 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #21,205 of 24,807
Quote:

Hey, does anyone know where to get those Neutrik Stax jacks? I'm building an amp with a very thick front panel, and those look like they'd be easier to work with than the teflon jacks.
Is it even safe to use that Neutrik jack for Stax? It looks like the metal panel could easily short the pins if the anodizing gets scratched.

They are probably custom made but who knows how they are constructed. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM Post #21,206 of 24,807
Quote:

They are probably custom made but who knows how they are constructed. 

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=880821&is=REG&Q=&A=details

it's a blank plate and then the holes are added.  i would guess that behind it are pins mounted onto a circuit board, and the plate is just a cover.  could work fine but it's mystery plastic from China and the high voltage specifications for it are not published.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #21,209 of 24,807
Quote:
As for the opticals it looks interesting, but this one requires at least an extension cable to make the listening possible without giving it a kiss. 

Truly.  Unless you are sitting right up next to it, and it's out on a table top, this would be a perpetual pain.  It's the niggling little things that slowly destroy one ability to enjoy a piece of equipment.  BTW, how hot does this get?  If the cable/extension is routed under the unit to the front, or over the top to the front....  you see where this is going.
confused_face.gif
  Routing to either the left or right side will further shorten the headphone cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back