The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #18,918 of 24,807
Quote:

By the way, have you ever tried the SR-Lambda (Pro) Signature before? There aren't too many reviews of that variant, at least not to the degree of the later Lambda Nova Signature. What I do know, however, are your statements on how thinner diaphragms are not always better, and the Lambda Signature's diaphragms had the selling point of being only 1 micron thick...

I've owned 20+ Lambda Sigs over the years and one is now serving as my test headphone for new amps.  A bit too forward for my tastes so the bass suffers and the dreaded etch is there in full force.  It's still a lovely headphone for those who like a more folward presentaion. 

Jul 19, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #18,919 of 24,807
Quote:
I've owned 20+ Lambda Sigs over the years and one is now serving as my test headphone for new amps.  A bit too forward for my tastes so the bass suffers and the dreaded etch is there in full force.  It's still a lovely headphone for those who like a more folward presentaion. 

The treble etch does concern me since it could be distracting. I generally want a reference neutral response that's easy to color to taste, as it's easier to do that than to try and make a colored headphone neutral.

On the other hand, I love a somewhat forward midrange, as I discovered when comparing the SR-Lambda and SR-202 (though they also had different amplification systems backing them up due to the bias difference; I seriously need an SRM-1/Mk2 Pro, SRM-313, or SRM-T1). Vocals felt recessed on the SR-202, falling behind the music. Sure, I could've just raised the EQ around 1 KHz with the SR-202, but it still sounded a tad harsh, grainy, or not smooth by comparison, for lack of better terms. This is incidentally why I don't think I'd like the Lambda Pro very much.

Is there a Lambda that can beat the Normal bias original's lovely mids?

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #18,922 of 24,807
To keep this out of the BHSE thread, here is how to modify the SRM-727 to make is sound like it should have.  I don't recommend this for the SR-009 but for every other Stax headphone it is a good idea to do the mod.  What needs to be done is remove two 150K resistors off the back of each amplifier card (you can see them in the pic below) and connect new 150K resistors from one end of the one removed to an empty spot on the PCB.  Stax were nice enough to make the connection for us so no messy wires needed.  

http://i.imgur.com/GEWTM.jpg

The picture is quite big.  Once the mod has been done on both channels adjust the offset and balance for 0VDC and you are good to go. 

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #18,923 of 24,807
There is an alternate way that is even easier, if you can get some kapton tape.
You put tape on the 2 card edge connectors you don't want, and then
solder a jumper between the 2 card edge connectors.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #18,924 of 24,807
Stax SRE-B3 headphone adapter

What the heck is this? At first glance, it looks like a simple device that splits one Normal bias jack into three, but I don't know if a typical Stax amp could take that kind of load over one port. Or, for that matter, if it would fit without a volume knob or other switch getting in the way.

Then again, if an SRD-7's second port basically has wires bridging it with the first port, which is in turn wired to the bias board...

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #18,926 of 24,807
Quote:
Stax SRE-B3 headphone adapter

What the heck is this? At first glance, it looks like a simple device that splits one Normal bias jack into three, but I don't know if a typical Stax amp could take that kind of load over one port. Or, for that matter, if it would fit without a volume knob or other switch getting in the way.

Then again, if an SRD-7's second port basically has wires bridging it with the first port, which is in turn wired to the bias board...

I've only seen this thing once before, probably browsing the old stax thread. It seems like the only real practical use would be in studios perhaps? I'm guessing Stax marketed their gear that way back then so this would save someone having to buy multiple amplifiers? Regardless, you... you just worry about buying glue and fixing drivers, I'll worry about bidding on not at all rare Stax curiosities. That way we both win.

Jul 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #18,928 of 24,807
Quote:
I've only seen this thing once before, probably browsing the old stax thread. It seems like the only real practical use would be in studios perhaps? I'm guessing Stax marketed their gear that way back then so this would save someone having to buy multiple amplifiers? Regardless, you... you just worry about buying glue and fixing drivers, I'll worry about bidding on not at all rare Stax curiosities. That way we both win.

Wasn't going to bid on that anyway. The bigger priority for me right now is getting a Stax amp with both Normal bias and Pro bias capability, at least whenever it's not financial suicide to do so. (Seems like the current going rate for an SRM-1/Mk2 Pro is $400 on average. The SRM-313 and SRM-T1 only go up from there, and while I thought the ExStatA was supposed to be a low-cost design closer to $300, the ones I see on Head-Fi B/S/T are more like $800. Sure, there are transformer boxes like what I've got now, but people charge so much for Pro bias ones that you might as well tack on an extra $100 and get a proper amp.)

Other than that, I can manage if my SR-Lambda + SRD-7/SB setup continues to work properly. I was worried for a moment that something might have been acting up with the right channel in the SRD-7/SB, but it seems to have sorted itself out.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #18,929 of 24,807
It is certainly possible to build a Stax amp for 200$ but it would require some sacrifices.  I'm planning to build an amp into a SRD-7 box using ECC83's and 6CG7's using the simplest PSU possible and it should be well under 200$ in parts.  Fully balanced too... 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #18,930 of 24,807
SR-Lambda with SRD-7/SB

Pretty impressive condition for a 30+ year old headphone system, but $475 starting bid + $15.75 shipping seems on the high side for me given what similar setups sell for here on Head-Fi (more like $300-400). $725 Buy-It-Now is way too much without a proper amplifier (SRM-1/Mk2, at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back