Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #17,386 of 24,807

Quote:
7000.00 for 4 normal bias jacks?
you gotta be kidding me!
I suppose it could power my normal Sigmas 
biggrin.gif

Because it is a hand built Futterman, he might get that much from the Far East.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #17,387 of 24,807

Quote:

So do you think it would be crazy to run the 4070 with a Woo WEE and a high quality integrated amp? I don't know much about the dedicated electrostatic amps. Is it the type of thing where no matter how good of an amp you used, the WEE would always be a limitation? Or do you think I could get pretty far with that setup? 

Also, what is the midrange coloration? On the euphonic side, or what? 

Thanks again I appreciate the help, not many people seem to have used the 4070 or maybe they just dont want to talk about it. 

Bump, still looking for some opinions on this question. There are folks out there like me with some very nice amps and integrated units, in the $1k-10k range. Could slapping a Woo Audio WEE on there turn it into a respectable system for driving one of the higher end Stax like SR4070 or SR007? 

And I would still welcome opinions on the 4070 specifically. Comparisons to other high end headphone you have heard?

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:10 AM Post #17,388 of 24,807

Quote:

Bump, still looking for some opinions on this question. There are folks out there like me with some very nice amps and integrated units, in the $1k-10k range. Could slapping a Woo Audio WEE on there turn it into a respectable system for driving one of the higher end Stax like SR4070 or SR007? 

And I would still welcome opinions on the 4070 specifically. Comparisons to other high end headphone you have heard?

I have not tried a Woo WEE but I own a SRD7 MKII and have fantastic results driving it from my Pass Labs Class "A" First Watt F1.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #17,389 of 24,807

Quote:
I just sold a spare normal bias Lambda last week, but I always keep at least one pair that I'll never sell.  I only asked for $250 with an SRD-7, but I've seen them go as high as $300.  The cheapest pro bias Stax phone I would want to own is the Lambda Nova Signature, which sells for $350-550 depending on condition and market price.  I have a pair of LNS and it reminds me a lot of my normal bias pair, but it can be used with my HEV70, KGSS and WES that do not have normal bias jacks.  The LNS also reminds me a bit of my HiFiMan HE-500.  I haven't heard the SR-202 so I can't say if that is worth having or not.

Aw, can't believe I missed that deal...I'm on the lookout for a stock SR-Lambda since while the SR-202 is good, it's not Normal bias Lambda good (especially in the midrange) and I don't like the Nova-style headband/arc as much.

Speaking of the Lambda Nova Signature, how do you think the midrange compares between it and the SR-Lambda? One person's impressions were that the SR-Lambda still has the edge in midrange, but the LNS could outdo it in extension both ways.

Given the higher price, though, I'll probably just stick to finding that stock, solidly-functioning SR-Lambda and take a vacation from this place before it does any more financial damage.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #17,390 of 24,807
Same here. Listened to track 1 of the Stax Space Sound Binaural Cd and asked the salesperson to turn off the recording of someone playing guitar from the next room, as I wanted to listen closely to the CD. He just laughed. And I was a very experienced headphone listener by then. That CD will only be prised from my cold dead hands.

I've never heard of this cd. I must have it. Where can I get it?

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #17,391 of 24,807

Quote:
I've never heard of this cd. I must have it. Where can I get it?

They are really hard to get. Go to Australia - find John and grab it from him :)) Or come to Germany and have a listen.
The former Stax distributor for Germany released some recordings under the label Audiostax.
Not all of them a muscally satisfying. My favourite one is a CD played by the Auos Bläserquintett.
All those Audiostax CDs a limitied to about 2000 copies!!!

Regards Georg

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #17,392 of 24,807

Quote:
Given the higher price, though, I'll probably just stick to finding that stock, solidly-functioning SR-Lambda and take a vacation from this place before it does any more financial damage.

I love my normal bias original Lambda, played with a SRD 7SB through 300b tubes.  Don't really think it gets much better than that.  It does, but one wonders if it is worth the struggle and expense.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #17,393 of 24,807

Thanks!  do we know how many of the original stax cd's there were?  I found this listing, but its not available.
http://musicfidelity.blogspot.com/2009/03/audio-stax-electrostatic-headphones.html#comments

love to hear some of these.  my stax desire it.
Quote:
They are really hard to get. Go to Australia - find John and grab it from him :)) Or come to Germany and have a listen.
The former Stax distributor for Germany released some recordings under the label Audiostax.
Not all of them a muscally satisfying. My favourite one is a CD played by the Auos Bläserquintett.
All those Audiostax CDs a limitied to about 2000 copies!!!

Regards Georg

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #17,394 of 24,807

Quote:
Thanks!  do we know how many of the original stax cd's there were?  I found this listing, but its not available.
http://musicfidelity.blogspot.com/2009/03/audio-stax-electrostatic-headphones.html#comments

love to hear some of these.  my stax desire it.

That's the one I have - Audiostax "Space Sound" CD. Not much music - lots of effects. Recorded with a Neumann Dummy Head. There are effects there that are literally shocking, they are so real. Track 2 starts with a woman getting in the shower. Water sprays on her shower cap and it sounds EXACTLY like you are there. Not a little like it, duck-your-head EXACTLY. It's quite a shock to hear what can be reproduced. Track 1 with Mike playing the guitar to your right is the one that fooled me. Am I ever glad I picked that CD up - it was given away with a Lambda Nova Signature purchase. Who would have thought something that spectacular could be allowed to go out of print?

Feb 19, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #17,395 of 24,807
I have several of the binaural CD's LFF mentions in this thread. They are fantastic.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/511850/awesome-binaural-albums
BTW John, I do prefer the Omega II to the Sigmas (404 -formerly Pro 
biggrin.gif
- and normal bias).
Not planning on selling them though....

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #17,396 of 24,807

Quote:

The WEE driven by my ZDT amp beats the stock Stax SRD-7 Pro, SRD-7 Mk2, and a modded SRD-7 with direct to transformer connection.  But it's still a little less detailed and spacious than my WES or KGSS with the SR-009 or SR-007.  It'll get the job done, and it's an upgrade over the vintage transformers, but I think a dedicated Stax amp is a better choice.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #17,397 of 24,807

Quote:

Aw, can't believe I missed that deal...I'm on the lookout for a stock SR-Lambda since while the SR-202 is good, it's not Normal bias Lambda good (especially in the midrange) and I don't like the Nova-style headband/arc as much.

Speaking of the Lambda Nova Signature, how do you think the midrange compares between it and the SR-Lambda? One person's impressions were that the SR-Lambda still has the edge in midrange, but the LNS could outdo it in extension both ways.

I think the normal bias Lambda is great, and the LNS is great.  Believe it or not but I haven't compared them in the same system, and now with the eXStatA gone I have to use a transformer for the Lambdas because none of my 3 working amps has a normal bias jack.  

Maybe sometime this week I can dig out the SRD-7 Mk2 with pro and normal bias jacks and compare the two side by side out of my ZDT amp, but the SRD-7 Mk2 is not nearly as clean sounding as the WEE which has two pro bias jacks and no normal jack.  Still, at least they'd be on a level playing field with the same source, amp and transformer.  

I have a modded SRD-7 SB that has the input direct into the transformers and sounds a little better than the Mk2 with the right amp, but it's less than a 4 ohm load and doesn't sound good with my ZDT amp which prefers 8-16 ohm loads on the speaker outputs.  I have to use the modded transformer with my Travagans Red or Nuforce Icon amps, and my son is hogging the Nuforce while the Travagans is packed away.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #17,398 of 24,807
I ve just got an combo system SRS 3170 . Most of all the sound like highly details , so that I can hear many of exciting sound . They make me feel so amazing , especialy in HDmovie . all I can easily hear the real life sound , the sound when you walk on the street , or in talking with someone , or in the bar when the live-jazz . Wow !!!

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #17,399 of 24,807
The x07s aren't bad, I found that some music genre like Marcus Miller,
the 507s perform MUCH better than the lambda signature.
bass, drums, brass instruments & guitars,are very engaging under 507.and they sound real.
small-logo.png

The 507 mids are not as magical as the lambda sig though,
the signature mids are just incredible life-like. they are touching your heart,

These cans are very different.

Feb 21, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #17,400 of 24,807

Quote:
Any brilliant ideas on how to fix a SR5 with weaker sounding right channel? I have opened the cup and checked the cable connections, the driver looks OK. Is it any idea dismantling it? Would love to see some photos of it taken apart.

The SRD6 seems to play equally loud on both channels with another SR5 (which has weaker bass, on the other hand).

Spritzer? Are ageing and deteriorating electrostatic (and ortho) membranes a fact of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back