The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #17,371 of 24,807

Quote:

The 4070 is almost as good as the Omegas so yeah, they blow away any other closed headphone.  Slight coloration in the midrange but it is very minor. 

I'd recommend a transparent amp for the 4070.  These are monitor headphones so they hide nothing. 

Thank you for the reply.

So do you think it would be crazy to run the 4070 with a Woo WEE and a high quality integrated amp? I don't know much about the dedicated electrostatic amps. Is it the type of thing where no matter how good of an amp you used, the WEE would always be a limitation? Or do you think I could get pretty far with that setup? 

Also, what is the midrange coloration? On the euphonic side, or what? 

Thanks again I appreciate the help, not many people seem to have used the 4070 or maybe they just dont want to talk about it. 

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #17,372 of 24,807
Thanks for the advice. You lost me in the second sentence though: no way I am even going to probe anything, I am that scared of estat amps and clueless about electronics in general... I mostly wanted to hear if anyone had similar experience. Intuitively, it seems like an issue with a build-up of static electricity. I happened to sweep the top surface with my hand before turning on the amp and might have touched my hair before that. The amps are that sensitive though?!

Anyhow, going to the dealer today...

Quote:
Ok. first step would be to measure the offset to see if there is any output from the amp.  If there is a serious malfunction then the servo kicks in and shuts off the output so you have to measure at the relay terminals.  Flip the amp on its side and you can spot them clearly. 

If the leds aren't lit then look at the PSU.  Any issues there and measure all the 4 rail voltages. 

The 4070 is almost as good as the Omegas so yeah, they blow away any other closed headphone.  Slight coloration in the midrange but it is very minor. 

I'd recommend a transparent amp for the 4070.  These are monitor headphones so they hide nothing. 

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #17,373 of 24,807

Quote:
Ok. first step would be to measure the offset to see if there is any output from the amp.  If there is a serious malfunction then the servo kicks in and shuts off the output so you have to measure at the relay terminals.  Flip the amp on its side and you can spot them clearly. 

If the leds aren't lit then look at the PSU.  Any issues there and measure all the 4 rail voltages. 

<snip>

I was wondering what the little red lights inside the amp indicated, if that's what you are talking about.

Anyway I really do like pairing the SRM-727 with the SR-009's, thanks for the tip.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #17,375 of 24,807

Quote:
No, unless your head/ears are free to move in relation to the soundfield, there is no "image" - only a spatial "effect."  The effect can be pleasant but it's not realistic.  One accepts it as part of the headphone experience. Headphone listening is fun, the effect is kind of cool. I'm not saying headphone listening is bad.  I have over $10,000 spent on headphones and amps, if you include my still-being-built DIY T2.  Headphones do many things well, and for less money that a speaker setup costs. But the sound is all between the ears.  Even good binaural recordings, like those hi-rez recordings from Chesky on www.hdtracks.com sound "inside the head."

No headphones I've ever listened to put the sonic image in front of me, which is where it belongs.  Included: Stax Sigmas, AKG 1000's, Sennheiser HD800s etc and so forth.    

When I go to hear the Chicago symphony, they don't play inside my head.  Real music performance happens in front of the listener.

So when I read people talking about "headphone imaging"  etc  I just roll my eyes. Yeah, there are some differences in spatial presentation, but to my way of thinking it hardly merits discussion because that part of the experience is so unrealistic compared to listening to a live performance or to speakers.

Well,

I had the out of head experence with stax lambda pro / Signature Pro with ED 1 and corresponding stax amps and some recordings.

Regards Georg

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #17,376 of 24,807
Hey guys, TOTAL noob here, just wondering, what is the best performance to cost pair of Stax?  That is including second hand too.

Of the recent models, SR202 no doubt. Not sure if the new 207 sounds the same, but if it does, those would apply as well. Preferred the 202 to 303 and 404 and the prices just get higher and higher from there.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #17,377 of 24,807
Any brilliant ideas on how to fix a SR5 with weaker sounding right channel? I have opened the cup and checked the cable connections, the driver looks OK. Is it any idea dismantling it? Would love to see some photos of it taken apart.

The SRD6 seems to play equally loud on both channels with another SR5 (which has weaker bass, on the other hand).

Feb 18, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #17,379 of 24,807

Quote:
Well,

I had the out of head experence with stax lambda pro / Signature Pro with ED 1 and corresponding stax amps and some recordings.

Regards Georg

Same here. Listened to track 1 of the Stax Space Sound Binaural Cd and asked the salesperson to turn off the recording of someone playing guitar from the next room, as I wanted to listen closely to the CD. He just laughed. And I was a very experienced headphone listener by then. That CD will only be prised from my cold dead hands.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #17,381 of 24,807
I haven't even seen a pair of SR Lambda for sale in quite a while. HProbably quite a few like me started out with a set up just like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAX-Earspeakers-Driver-Unit-/330686584149?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cfe74d555

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #17,382 of 24,807
Can't say I have seen one of these before.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Julius-Futterman-Stax-Earspeaker-Amp-Stax-SR-X-MK2-and-SR-3-Earspeakers-/150761445017?_trksid=p5197.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26itu%3DI%252BUA%26otn%3D9%26pmod%3D330686584149%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6428052080337070547

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #17,383 of 24,807
7000.00 for 4 normal bias jacks?
you gotta be kidding me!
I suppose it could power my normal Sigmas 
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #17,385 of 24,807

Quote:
I wonder how the SR-009 pair with the KGSSHV?

What is the cheapest pro-bias stax phones you can get used?

The SR-009 pair wonderfully with my normal DIY KGSS, so I don't see why a KGSSHV won't be a good match.

I actually prefer the normal bias SR-Lambda over the SR-Lambda Pro, and sometimes I felt that the SR-Lambda Signature beat out the Pro but not the normal bias ones.  I just sold a spare normal bias Lambda last week, but I always keep at least one pair that I'll never sell.  I only asked for $250 with an SRD-7, but I've seen them go as high as $300.  The cheapest pro bias Stax phone I would want to own is the Lambda Nova Signature, which sells for $350-550 depending on condition and market price.  I have a pair of LNS and it reminds me a lot of my normal bias pair, but it can be used with my HEV70, KGSS and WES that do not have normal bias jacks.  The LNS also reminds me a bit of my HiFiMan HE-500.  I haven't heard the SR-202 so I can't say if that is worth having or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back