The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Aug 19, 2005 at 7:20 AM Post #46 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spektrograf
More than a decade now with my HD580's and still as happy as ever, esp. w/ my SM3 (OPA627's). Itchin' to spend a bit of time with the HD650's after hearin' the Ray's Stealth hooked up to 'em at the SJ meet playin' a Patricia Barber track -- otherwise very happy with 'em. Cheers for the thread!
580smile.gif

Thankee! I'm quite proud of it myself, so let's make this a 10+ page badboy, it'll be my first
biggrin.gif

580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #47 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdon
I received my 580's today and in comparison to my Grado SR-80's the sound is veiled. Any idea how to unveil them? Remove pads, cable upgrade?

The best method IMO is putting the SR-80's away and listen only to the 580's for a couple of weeks, then comparing the two again.

If still not happy, THEN start modding/upgrading/changing headphones. The 225 might be more to your liking.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:32 PM Post #48 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFJ
The best method IMO is putting the SR-80's away and listen only to the 580's for a couple of weeks, then comparing the two again.

If still not happy, THEN start modding/upgrading/changing headphones. The 225 might be more to your liking.

I'd definitely agree to that. I think once you listen to them for a few days the veil will disappear, and you will enjoy the detail and smoothness the HD580's have to offer. As I come back to my SR60's, now with RS pads and reverse cut comfies (I no longer have HD414 VWAP pads), they are more forward, and the reverse cut comfies are much brighter, but they still have way more bottom end than bowls. Not to get off topic or anything, but I'd love to test them against flats and hear what differences there might be.

In any case, it looks like the HD580 sound is here to stay, and I may kick up to an upgrade cable and HD600 grilles in the future if the upgraditis hits again. Or at least see if I can trade up my Epsilon for a Mu from Z-Audio.
580smile.gif
Abe

Sep 27, 2005 at 10:26 AM Post #49 of 2,080
Really late to this thread, but had to comment. I fell in love with my HD580s after owning them several days. Heard some treble harshness reminiscent of HD280 at first, which faded away after a few days (initial burnin, I guess). Then something happened... I heard the magic and was totally hooked. Later bought a pair of HD600s and owned both, but had to sell one or the other last year and chose to sell the 600s (more money). Will never sell my HD580s, under any circumstances -- other cans may come and go (I particularly want something warm & gloppy, for thin sounding music), but the 580s are here to stay..
580smile.gif

Sep 27, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #51 of 2,080
The Senn 580's are a welcome addition to my Grado SR 60's and SR325's. I have owned the Senn 580's about 4 years and they DO get used quite often-- especially when I want to hear a little smooooother sound.

Sep 27, 2005 at 10:37 PM Post #52 of 2,080
My first Head-Fi can (although I bought it ... I don't know... 10 years? They were just a new product from Sennheiser by then). They came to replace my HD540s... Actually that might be my first hi-fi can. Really dark, but really nice too.

I was so used to the 540 sound (I was kind of dark-spoiled) that I wasn't that excited on my first listening. Then they started to grow on me. I'll never forget some of my listening sessions with these cans. Is good to see I can still buy a new pair just in case...

There will be always a place in my heart for these charming cans.

Ok, this is getting really touchy. Better to stop now
rolleyes.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 1:15 PM Post #54 of 2,080
I have three quality headphones. The Ec2, Grado Sr-80's and the hd580's and woud have to say for the price the sr80's are the best. You cant go past the grado sound for perfection and quality BUT for longevity the 580's are my choice. There mellow and very neutral however heavily under volumed and you absolutely must have an amp to get the most out of them.
600smile.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #55 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snooze
You cant go past the grado sound for perfection and quality

Strongly disagreed. But to each his own. The 580s are fantastic phones, no doubt about that. I love mine. Just wish that they wouldn't annoy those around me so much at times.

Oct 8, 2005 at 1:53 PM Post #56 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snooze
...woud have to say for the price the sr80's are the best. You cant go past the grado sound for perfection and quality

Disagreed.

The Grado is very tiring to listen to in the long run and its brightness can never go away even with the flat pads. I have also noticed the following trend with different pads: flats = less piercing highs but muddied up sound and some bass hump; bowls = ample bass and airiness but shrilly highs. Either pad type is not perfect and I just hate it.

Back on thread topic, I love the HD-580s like mad (so does a friend who instantly fell in love with them on his first listen). A HD-650 is coming my way soon and I hope to see which phones I will end up keeping.

Cheers!

Oct 8, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #57 of 2,080
I too love my HD580s, I am teaming then up with an SM3 and a spanky new Cardas cable!
600smile.gif

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #58 of 2,080
amazing that for so many of us, the 580 was the starting point into the world of head-fi. i fell in love with them and still have a soft spot in my heart for them. after i sold my first pair, i missed them so much that i've recently purchased another pair. i'd be interesting to compare them to the 650 someday. i also had the 600 at one point but the only difference i could tell was that the 600 were smoother. even then, it wasn't enough to make me keep the 600.

Oct 10, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #59 of 2,080
I suffered the new toy syndrome for the ath-a900 and the k240s and thought the 580s were old, dull, no more will I listen to them... well guess what?

As my infatuation with new (to me) sound signatures fade, I regained my appreciation for the very natural, balanced, deep sound of the 580s! They are killer cans!!
600smile.gif

Now I just need to find a good portable amp to do them real justice.
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:16 PM Post #60 of 2,080
My recent transformation that occurred with the 580s, leads me to a profound conclusion about the veil. If you hear a veil, - you're listening with your eyes. Stop. Turn the volume down...and close your eyes if need be, and allow your ears to do what they do. At some point you should fall magically into the Sennheiser sound (and you might be want to slowly increase the volume!)

So, how far do you actually fall when you fall into the Senns?? Well...it's like you step about 10 to 15 feet into the sound. Oddly, what gets revealed is that the veil was really you -- wanting the phones to come to you...instead meeting them inside the Sennheiser "room."

cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back