The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Oct 10, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #61 of 2,080
Interesting observations, Xoton. I find the HD580 to definitely have a "feminine" "receptive" type sound, if that makes any sense. On the other end are Grados... masculine, aggressive and outgoing. Guess I prefer women over men in more ways than one.
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #62 of 2,080
Thanks. I like your analogy!

Basically, you have to go the senns, you will be rewarded!

Put me on the "curious about the 650" list too!!

Oct 12, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #63 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xoton
My recent transformation that occurred with the 580s, leads me to a profound conclusion about the veil. If you hear a veil, - you're listening with your eyes. Stop. Turn the volume down...and close your eyes if need be, and allow your ears to do what they do. At some point you should fall magically into the Sennheiser sound (and you might be want to slowly increase the volume!)

Do I agree? Hell yeahhhhh...
580smile.gif

I'm listening to mine as I type this, and I couldn't agree more. It also helps that this Mu amplifier of mine goes so well with the Sennheiser sound and drives them decently(keep a look out for my upcoming Z-Audio Mu review!). When you relax and listen, the sound eases itself into your ears.

580smile.gif
Abe

Oct 24, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #65 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I will be picking my HD-650 off the PO tomorrow. Oh, I can't wait to see what the heck is the difference.
580smile.gif

Did you get your new cans yet? I'm dying to hear your observations!

580smile.gif
Abe

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:46 AM Post #66 of 2,080
Love my 580's... I got them brand new from Audio Advisor for $150 a year or so ago. I've compared my 580's side by side with the 600's and I coudn't tell much difference, which is as it should be because my understanding is that they both use the same drivers.
My 580's definitely had the infamous Sennheiser veil when I first got them, but after pulling out the pads and rolling in 7 different cables - 2 commercial and 5 DIY - they now sound excellent and I'm very happy with them. My only remaining complaint would be that there's just the slightest lack of air to them, but they do everything else so well that I can live with that for now.

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #67 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by KZEE
Love my 580's... I got them brand new from Audio Advisor for $150 a year or so ago. I've compared my 580's side by side with the 600's and I coudn't tell much difference, which is as it should be because my understanding is that they both use the same drivers.
My 580's definitely had the infamous Sennheiser veil when I first got them, but after pulling out the pads and rolling in 7 different cables - 2 commercial and 5 DIY - they now sound excellent and I'm very happy with them. My only remaining complaint would be that there's just the slightest lack of air to them, but they do everything else so well that I can live with that for now.

Excellent story, love to hear it
smily_headphones1.gif
I've been slowly upgrading my sources to get the best use of my HD580's and I think it's paying off. The sound is getting a little warmer, a little fuller, and I'm loving every minute of it.

580smile.gif
Abe

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:04 AM Post #68 of 2,080
i have the hd580's and grado 325i's. in some ways, the grado's are much cleaner (althought they're also $150 more). but i'm loving the hd580's right now as I surf. love the nice sound stage, deep base (my grados can't touch it), awesome comfort on head, sound is so easy and pleasing on the ears. i like the grado's, but i'll always still be a senn guy. hd580 are just really fun headphones.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #69 of 2,080
I'm really enjoying these cans. I had VERY (extremely) high expectations for them, having already spent a lot of time demoing them mated to a supermacro V2, SR71 and headroom micro.

Theyre everything I was expecting... deep taught bass, smoth mids and highs, HUGE soundstage. The distance and sense of space in crowd noise/cheer is quite impressive. A bit of upper midrange recession makes them ideal for relaxing and soaking in the tunes.

I cant say enough about the soundstage (which is the main reason I got them). They make your head sound like its 10 feet diameter and you have a small arena in there. Stewart copelands snare tones are snappy with some nice body resonance as the note decays. You can hear the snare impact, and the note seems to bounce around the room as it decays.

Andy summers chorus shimmers and swirls around inside my 20 foot head.... Oops... my head is getting bigger and bigger with more spatious / ambient tunes.

Amazing can, lot of sound for not a lot of dough. My impressions are made in comparison to my modded HF1, K240s, and stock MS2, amped with a millet hybrid.

Garrett

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:42 AM Post #70 of 2,080
The 580s were my first pair of good headphones (my previous ones was a $5 headset from Fry's Electronics), so I was blown away by the quality of the sound! I was quite surprised to find out that music could sound even better...Interestingly enough, my very first post at Head-Fi (and the only thread I've ever started) was about improving the sound from my 580s.

Nov 24, 2005 at 7:59 AM Post #71 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I cant say enough about the soundstage (which is the main reason I got them). They make your head sound like its 10 feet diameter and you have a small arena in there. Stewart copelands snare tones are snappy with some nice body resonance as the note decays. You can hear the snare impact, and the note seems to bounce around the room as it decays.

Andy summers chorus shimmers and swirls around inside my 20 foot head.... Oops... my head is getting bigger and bigger with more spatious / ambient tunes.

Amazing can, lot of sound for not a lot of dough. My impressions are made in comparison to my modded HF1, K240s, and stock MS2, amped with a millet hybrid.

Congrats... the soundstage isn't that big compared to DT880s (which some have said to be only beaten by AKG K1000), but huge compared to Grados
tongue.gif
. Enjoy!

P.S. as far as I can tell the recession is in mid-treble (tested with tones and with reference to Headroom graphs), but for some reason everyone perceives it to be in upper midrange. No matter, wherever it is it creates an extremely listenable, smooth sound.

Nov 24, 2005 at 10:34 AM Post #72 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
I'm really enjoying these cans. I had VERY (extremely) high expectations for them, having already spent a lot of time demoing them mated to a supermacro V2, SR71 and headroom micro.

Theyre everything I was expecting... deep taught bass, smoth mids and highs, HUGE soundstage. The distance and sense of space in crowd noise/cheer is quite impressive. A bit of upper midrange recession makes them ideal for relaxing and soaking in the tunes.

Garrett

Daaaaang, I had no idea you were an HD580 man by any means (I have no internet connection since last Tuesday or so and look what happens
biggrin.gif
) I totally see what you mean though, and it was originally my listening to some HD650's with stock cable that gave me the urge to try the HD580's out. The soundstage is just awesome on these cans- maybe not the best, but much better than my money paid for. It's funny, because before arriving to the HD580's, I had been jazzing to the sound of the SA1000's, which some might say is a very opposite sort of sound. Hyper-detailed and fast with somewhat shrill highs as a consequence. In comparison the sound is slown down a bit, but the detail is still there despite that. But more importantly, the gain of everything else that made the HD580's great was so worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petery83
The 580s were my first pair of good headphones (my previous ones was a $5 headset from Fry's Electronics), so I was blown away by the quality of the sound! I was quite surprised to find out that music could sound even better...Interestingly enough, my very first post at Head-Fi (and the only thread I've ever started) was about improving the sound from my 580s.

Hehe, my first posts were about another pair of Sennheisers, HD477's- the headphones I had before joining HeadFi some 3 years ago, and now my little sister is enjoying them as a birthday present.

580smile.gif
Abe

Nov 25, 2005 at 9:33 PM Post #73 of 2,080
I'm thinking about picking up an HD-580, especially after reading through this thread. But the other thread about the intermittency problem with the wires, which people say that everyone with an 580 will eventually experience, has me a bit freaked out. Any thoughts?

Nov 25, 2005 at 9:55 PM Post #75 of 2,080
Just received my 580's, and am listening to Dvorak -works for cello and orchestra. Lovely sound, and yes I hear the veil when compared to my Grado 325i's. But it's subtle and seems to account for the distancing effect, which along with soundstage is what I bought it for. Glad to see that it's not what I would call dark. Lots of treble energy, but smooth. px100's are dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back