The Sennheiser HD580 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2005 at 12:58 AM Post #16 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by AML
I love my 580s too.
smily_headphones1.gif
I bought them used off a headfier about 4 months ago, and now have them amped through a PIMETA. I will never part with them, i love them too much.
k1000smile.gif

You should try 650. It's even more amazing(er??) than a 580
smily_headphones1.gif
haha of course I jsut sold my 580 and got myself a 650. I'm in love with this headphone.
600smile.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by sassysound
You should try 650. It's even more amazing(er??) than a 580
smily_headphones1.gif
haha of course I jsut sold my 580 and got myself a 650. I'm in love with this headphone.
600smile.gif

sassysound, i have heard the 650's.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really liked them, i heard them through a high end amp. The price of them here in Australia isn't worth the jump from 580's to the 650's....and i'd still keep my 580's anyway.
biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #18 of 2,080
Haha ya I feel your pain.

I lived in Australia for 10 years
smily_headphones1.gif
(Illawarra, Wollongong)

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:54 AM Post #19 of 2,080
HD580 is my first hi-end phone too!!!!! First I just listen to the classical music. I found it has much bigger soundstage that I never found on those bad phones. Now I use this phone listen to rock and other kinds of loud music. HD580 has very neutral sound. I really like them since I just use parable cd player. But I heard this phone on discontinueing or will be discontiuned soon according to other webs.
580smile.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #20 of 2,080
HD-580 was my first non-japanese headphone purchase. I used to think my Sony headphones are good (Of course, it's a sony!
rolleyes.gif
) Not until I've audition the 580, I than realized I know nothing about good sound.
eek.gif
And I've listening to them almost everyday for 3 years.
eggosmile.gif

Aug 15, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #21 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmose
The 580s are certainly one of the best bang for the buck cans one can get.

I'll second that. Remarkable value for the money. Gives you much of what the 600 and 650 have to offer.

Aug 15, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #22 of 2,080
Although they are a great value, you do really need to replace the stock cable as well as use them with a good amp and source to reach their full potential. That said, I'm still blown away sometimes when I listen to them with certain recordings.

Aug 15, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #23 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen
I'm still blown away sometimes when I listen to them with certain recordings.

For example? What recordings best show off what the HD580's can do?

Aug 15, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #25 of 2,080
hey, since you guys are talking about the 580s, wheres the best place to get them cheap. I want them bad, but they are too much and i will probably end up buying grado sr-60s. Are the 580s good with rock music, do they leak sound?

Aug 15, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #26 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
It's about damn time this thread was started!

2 years ago I also jumped into this hobby by buying a pair of used HD580's, along with the Oehlbach cable. I absolutely loved the sound, and was floored by the noticeable differences as I went along the source/amp upgrade path.

Even though I've got the bigger brother of the HD580's now, I still have a soft spot in my heart for the HD580's
580smile.gif

Hahaha, I agree, so I said what the hell and did it. I look forward to the next Oregon meet to hear what I'm missing, if my ears really miss anything, from the HD600/HD650's. In the meantime, Born2BWire, where are ya? I gotta take another listen to your HD650's, and see what your Cardas cable does over the stock HD580 cable!
biggrin.gif

I can pay you in Samurai Champloo episodes
smily_headphones1.gif

I wonder if in the future what kind of upgrade cable I should get? Oehlbach, Cardas, Equinox, Zu, Clou? Hmmm...
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
The HD-580 was my first hi-Fi headphone as well. I dont consider the Sony MDR-V300 that I had before as Hi-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

What a nice introduction to the world of hifi!!

I sold it to upgrade to the HD-650 but it sure was a fantastic headphone for the money. Pair it with a MG Head amplifier for best results
smily_headphones1.gif

Haha, I thought your SR60's were your first hifi cans
smily_headphones1.gif
At present I'm quite content with the quality of Zemo's amps, but I would like to go the tube route in the future, but DIY schematics are all in Greek to me
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sassysound
I'm glad you are enjoying the 580
smily_headphones1.gif
I've broken them in nicely over 1 year.

James

That's great! I kinda wondered how long this pair had been going for. They sound excellent as they are and I couldn't ask for better than that. Also, they are suprisingly good with a guitar amp(I'm learning to play one day at a time).
Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVIPODS
hey, since you guys are talking about the 580s, wheres the best place to get them cheap. I want them bad, but they are too much and i will probably end up buying grado sr-60s. Are the 580s good with rock music, do they leak sound?

If you like them new, I'd try compuplus.
If you like them used, try the FS/T forums. Also, they do leak sound, probably as much as the SR60's do, and personally I find them great for rock(and everything else I've had the pleasure to listen to through these). If anyone with a pair of HD580's and Guns N' Roses - G N' R Lies or Use Your Illusion I/II should paly a few tracks and give your impressions. I'm blown away...

Uh-oh, I think the HD580 might become the next FOTM... Smart, Abe. Real smart. (idiot!
rolleyes.gif
)

580smile.gif
Abe

Aug 15, 2005 at 1:18 PM Post #29 of 2,080
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
For example? What recordings best show off what the HD580's can do?

I really like listening to Dave Matthews Band - Live at Red Rocks to show off the Sennheiser's. Give it a listen
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back